Arizona S2000 Owners Arizona S2000 Owners. s2000arizona.com

Track Event November 28th

Old 11-23-2003, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Event November 28th

For those of you waking up from your Turkey comas and looking for something to do on Friday there is a track event at Firebird Main Track put on by ProAutosports. See www.proautosports.com for details. I'll be there and hope to see others. Only $99 for a fun track day.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Jim -- Damn, I'll be out of town. Keep us posted with the local events.

Have you ran Motorsports Park yet? Care to share a review if you have?

-- Chris
Old 11-24-2003, 03:56 PM

Awwww, I was just out at AMP last weekend. I spun pretty good and my car is filled with dust. I am getting it detailed tomorrow, so i don't think I will be up for another track event this friday. Maybe next time.

Adam
Old 11-24-2003, 04:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Adam -- Can you give us a review of the track? I have been unable to make it out with the cars being torn apart. Looks like an interesting track.

Cheers,
-- Chris
Old 11-24-2003, 06:19 PM

Geez Adam, do you do ANYTHING besides tear up that nice M???
Old 11-24-2003, 07:58 PM

AMP is a really nice facility. The track is very open, with plenty of run off room (which is nice since I had an off track excursion).

The course is large, about 2.25 miles with 16 turns. One great thing about it is that there are 4 passing areas. I think that this track is hard on brakes because there are multiple places to hit the triple digits and then have to slow down pretty quickly for the turn.

Obviously with 16 turns there is a learning curve, but overall I enjoyed the track. The majority of the turns are late apexs, so it is pretty safe, just don't get on the gas too soon when coming out of the turn.

Honestly though, I still prefer PIR. It may be shorter, but there is something about taking that banked part of the oval at over 100mph that is just flat out awesome.

I would definitely go back out to AMP again. It is a nice area and you can leave the pits at anytime because they are not in the middle of the track. There is a gas station and fast food restaurants around also, so that is definitely an advantage over PIR.

Zonie,

My spin wasn't that bad. My car was pretty filthy from all of the other sessions. That morning was extremely windy. There were tumbleweeds, the size of small children, blowing across the track. Sometimes the dust was moving so fast that you couldn't see the pavement on the track. I actually had to lower my visor on my helmet a couple times.

As for my spin, it was the last run session of the day, and almost at the end of that.

I was making my way around turn 12, which I had been nearly perfect on all day. That turn leads onto the last straight away (passing zone) of the track. The car in front of me gave me the point by. I got a little too agressive and gave it way to much gave before I completely exited the turn.

I started to lose the rear end, and almost saved it. i was so close to having control, and then I lost it again. I spun counter clockwise into the dirt and the only thought going through my head was "in a spin, both feet in". I planted my foot on the brake, but I couldn't find my clutch peddle. Then I realized that I don't have a clutch peddle (darn SMG). I guess I didn't get onto the brake quick enough because I ended up back on the track, facing the wrong way. To make things worse, there were three cars coming around turn 12. Luckily they all saw the big cloud of dirt and there was no incident.

Later, in the pits, one of the instructors came up to me and said that he was the one driving the car that pointed me by. He said that he watched the entire thing in his rear view mirror, and thought that I was doing really well trying to save the car. Then he saw the dust, and then he saw my car facing the wrong way.

He felt bad, but I wasn't his fault at all. I was being over agressive and should have just waited another second or two before going open on the throttle.

I am actually glad that I spun my car. it was the first time that I lost control of it, and what better place to do it than at a track where there is nothing to hit.

The car isn't too dirty, just a lot of dust in places that I don't have the time to try and get it out of. Besides, I needed a good excuse to get my car fully detailed. I am using a company that is mobile so they are coming to my house to do it. They even bring their own water in their truck. I'll let you know how they do.

Adam