Arizona S2000 Owners Arizona S2000 Owners. s2000arizona.com

Snorkel intake?

Old 06-03-2015, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey! I thought all driving in the S qualifies as high performance!
Old 06-03-2015, 04:55 PM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by peiserg
Hey! I thought all driving in the S qualifies as high performance!
It does, but if you're just driving around town with an occasional canyon/highway jaunt, high dollar upgrades aren't necessary unless you have a bunch of money burning a hole in your pocket.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:15 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

No bunches of money burning holes in my pockets. Heck, I work for your tax dollars, on the State payroll, so no raises - period. I am thinking about the future, when I can afford more track time. The post I read about the guy with bogging engine and loss of power was a "heat soak", just got me thinking about the furnace that we live in during the summer. I was starting to look at a J's Racing snorkel, as if fits under the hood with no cutting required and fits right into the stock air box. that got me wondering if anyone here has made that mod and if it was effective (at 110F, or hotter). My track days have been in the fall and winter mostly, so hot ambient air wasn't a factor. Maybe the advertising hype is just that - hype. I've read too many horror stories of blown engines with CAI and water getting sucked in, that I pretty much don't want to consider that. The J's snorkel sits low, so I wonder if that would be an issue in our monsoon, too.

I used to sit in rush hour traffic coming home from work when I worked in Chandler, but now my commute is much shorter. I'm more likely to hit a series of stop lights, and that gets just as annoying.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:38 AM

I think heat soak is typically an issue with turbo and blower application. Car pulls timing for safety. Intake temps can be more than 200F. Shortb answer... If you want real, definitive performance gains based on an intake....you better make sure the intake says 'turbo' on it and includes a compressor wheel.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:05 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I confess that I wasn't looking for increased power at this point, unless it comes as a bonus. Cooler air intake could lead to longer engine life was what got me curious. It looks like it might not be noticeable in our desert heat.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:37 PM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Mark, little to no value in what your wanting except for maybe aesthetics. Nothing will help with heat soak with our temps. J's snorkel requires hood cutting. Nate had one he just sold for that reason alone. Don't waste your money. If you do get an intake and want the greatest amount of cool air don't remove the shroud in front of the radiator.
[attachment=80419::]
Old 06-05-2015, 06:06 PM

Mine gets parked when temps hit triple digit. Don't like putting the additional heat stress on the motor. Gets enough stress from me.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:16 AM

The biggest problem with OEM set up is that it lets intake air to go over top of radiator. Also, location of IAT sensor for pre 06. It is very outdated design. All newer Hondas have snorkel or duct to bypass the heat from radiator. I layed heat insulator on top of radiator, that's probably close enough effect as a snorkel. The biggest change I got was from relocating IAT sensor at intake box. I can definitely feel the difference, also my fuel economy significantly improved(10-20%). I think cooler intake air input can let ecm to advance timing.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by peiserg
I think heat soak is typically an issue with turbo and blower application. Car pulls timing for safety. Intake temps can be more than 200F. Shortb answer... If you want real, definitive performance gains based on an intake....you better make sure the intake says 'turbo' on it and includes a compressor wheel.
Amen! The only other think of is you can hear that vtak yo with a Short ram, but the same effect can be achieved by removing the baffles from the stock airbox.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by AZS2KDancer
Naturally aspirated engines seems to lose horse power with elevated ambient air temperatures. I am looking into a snorkel air intake that connects directly the the OEM air box.

Has anyone installed one of these? I would like to see one, preferably local to the Phoenix metro area. Have you noticed any improvement in the hot summer months?

Thanks.

I've been told by others that going with the flashpro is $ for $ your best bet. Especially if you said you were not necessarily concerned with getting additional horsepower. I'm sure others will chime in.

Good luck either way.

Quick Reply: Snorkel intake?