Arizona S2000 Owners Arizona S2000 Owners. s2000arizona.com

Snorkel intake?

Old 06-02-2015, 11:31 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Snorkel intake?

Naturally aspirated engines seems to lose horse power with elevated ambient air temperatures. I am looking into a snorkel air intake that connects directly the the OEM air box.

Has anyone installed one of these? I would like to see one, preferably local to the Phoenix metro area. Have you noticed any improvement in the hot summer months?

Thanks.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AZS2KDancer
Naturally aspirated engines seems to lose horse power with elevated ambient air temperatures. I am looking into a snorkel air intake that connects directly the the OEM air box.

Has anyone installed one of these? I would like to see one, preferably local to the Phoenix metro area. Have you noticed any improvement in the hot summer months?

Thanks.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:22 PM

If your willing to drive to the east valley, I will give you one.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by AZS2KDancer

Thanks.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't the oem intake already a cold air, intake?
Old 06-02-2015, 08:42 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I've been reading in other posts elsewhere that the OEM intake is taking in heated air from under the hood. People are writing about a heat bog or loss of HP in high heat conditions. I'm not sure where they are writing from, yet we have significant heat in the summer around here, so I wondered if anyone in this area has looked into a snorkel vs CAI? The CAI seem to be subject to water intake susceptibility, so I was wondering about a snorkel, with it's intake closer to the ground. Would a snorkel make a significant HP gain in our intense heat situations?
Old 06-02-2015, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doubtful. Na engines don't lose much in the heat, nor gain from the cold. I don't have a stock intake so can't comment...but just popping the good should tell you if it is a cai. Isn't that pretty much standard equipment on every modern car?
Old 06-03-2015, 05:48 AM

Received 193 Likes on 119 Posts

The truth is, when its 100, 105, 110, 115 its freaking hot and nothing you do to your car or intake system will change that. IT'S HOT!! Sitting in traffic, with the AC on will cause the car to feel slower and bogged down as you pull away from a stop. Once you are driving though the car will recover slightly as some fresh cooler (if ambient 110 degrees is cooler )air makes its way into the engine bay. When I had my car on the dyno I played around with the fans to see where the air flows into the engine bay, and the majority of air flows around the radiator, which for me is a good thing because of where the K&N intake sits.

A snorkel will help the OEM intake in delivering fresher cleaner air to the intake, but its a negligible difference. Meaning, its not going to make more power, and it will do nothing for you when sitting in traffic or driving in the summer. It WILL deliver "cooler" air quicker, but IMO that is not worth the price of a good snorkel. I would only buy a genuine Spoon snorkel and I think that is $300 plus. At that point, I would just go buy a real intake and get something that may make 1-2hp and give you some sound.

Stay away from CAI because you can suck up water and destroy your engine which multiple people here in AZ have done during monsoon season.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JB34
If your willing to drive to the east valley, I will give you one.
I'll take that !
Old 06-03-2015, 01:09 PM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

As Adam said, sitting still will get you hot air period. From my personal experience, switching to a K&N FPIK wrapped in DEI Gold Heat Reflective tape I haven't noticed anything change due to heat from extended use, even with higher ambient temps (Take is as anecdotal since I haven't done any scientific testing, but that will cost ~$300 for all materials). The snorkel may be pulling slightly cooler air from in front of the radiator, but it won't do much if the stock box is saturated with the heat from under the hood that you're trying to avoid.

In all honesty, you don't don't do much high performance driving from what I understand and I doubt you would notice any difference between the having/not having the snorkel. I would suggest saving your money and just keep up with regular maintenance items.

Quick Reply: Snorkel intake?