Arizona S2000 Owners Arizona S2000 Owners. s2000arizona.com

Pink Taco Stadium

Old 08-23-2006, 06:14 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey - how did this BS useless off topic conversation get so edumication serious?

My 2 cents - US schools suck when compared to most other countries and I do not see how pink tacos are any more offensive than blue burritos or fish tacos
Old 08-23-2006, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDavid,Aug 23 2006, 03:43 PM
Lee: What if you have a class where more than 20% actually deserves As? This unwritten rule says the professor would have to do something to decrease the % of As. If the professor gives out more than 20% As they have a possibility of being fired.
That is the problem.....20% of the students are not in the 95 percentile. 5% are...

That is stats......
-Lee
Old 08-23-2006, 07:51 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by asu_lee,Aug 23 2006, 07:48 PM
That is the problem.....20% of the students are not in the 95 percentile. 5% are...

That is stats......
-Lee
There you go throwing all that shazam accounting big math at us again......
Old 08-23-2006, 08:03 PM

[QUOTE=asu_lee,Aug 23 2006, 08:48 PM] That is the problem.....20% of the students are not in the 95 percentile.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:05 PM

I can attest with direct experience to the meddling parent syndrome. I taught honors chemistry at Corona for a year, and could not wait to quit that job. I gave an EXTRA CREDIT assignment for homework and put in bold print on the top that this was an individual project and that no one could share answers. While grading them I noticed a trend of about 12 students from all 5 classes getting the exact problem wrong in the same way. I confronted them about the problem and of course all but one swore they did it alone. The one admitted it was him who actually did the problem and said he let the others copy.

I told the other cheaters that no credit would be given and I was going to write each one up for violating the academic integrity policy. That afternoon my email and phone went nuts with parents stating things like"my straight A student would never cheat, she promises me that it was her own work" What really bugged me was being called in by the principal and told to give credit for the assignment and apologize to all the students and parents! So I caught honor students obviously cheating, had a witness come forward and yet I was made to look like the dishonest one.

This is one of many examples I could describe in detail of how the adminstration cares more about pleasing parents than educatiing or teaching values.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:32 AM

[QUOTE=s2k_zonie,Aug 23 2006, 12:44 PM] Mrs. Krabappel: "Now whose calculator can tell me what 7 times 8 is?"

Milhouse: "Oh! Oh! Oh! Low battery?
Old 08-24-2006, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by AZDavid,Aug 23 2006, 08:03 PM
I have yet to see a class with a grade distribution of a true bell curve. Normally 25% or greater of the class receives an A.

This is in the general business courses. The distribution becomes more skewed when you account for the general education courses.
That is called grade inflation.....Should be a true bell distribution....as many As as Fs, Bs as Ds and Cs are the rest.

-Lee
Old 08-24-2006, 12:31 PM

TRUE STORY:

I have to share because this just happened yesterday at lunch. Went to McDonalds and ordered a meal. My total was $4.27. At the window, I handed the girl IN THIS ORDER (1) $0.27 in change and (2) a $20 bill. She rang it in as $20 tendered and gave me $15.73 back. I told her "No, I gave you the 27 cents, remember?" BLANK STARE. She REMEMBERED I handed her the change but had NO IDEA how to resolve the issue. I handed it all back to her, the manager came over and helped her work it out.

Is this truly the future of our society?
Old 08-24-2006, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by s2k_zonie,Aug 24 2006, 01:31 PM
TRUE STORY:

I have to share because this just happened yesterday at lunch. Went to McDonalds and ordered a meal. My total was $4.27. At the window, I handed the girl IN THIS ORDER (1) $0.27 in change and (2) a $20 bill. She rang it in as $20 tendered and gave me $15.73 back. I told her "No, I gave you the 27 cents, remember?" BLANK STARE. She REMEMBERED I handed her the change but had NO IDEA how to resolve the issue. I handed it all back to her, the manager came over and helped her work it out.

Is this truly the future of our society?
HAHA....

I thought I remembered that INnOut burger made it a prerequisite that you could do quick arithmetic because at first the cahsier machines didnt tell them how much cahnge to give...

am I just imaginig that? Its now all automated... i wonder if innout gave too much credit to them...
Old 08-25-2006, 02:26 PM

GoBrns: There are always exceptions to the rule. It is great to hear you have raised your children right. I am talking from recent experience from what I have seen in school. In general, the kids here are stupid. Just to list a few things I have seen in the classroom while class was going on:

Thanks, I don't know if I have raised them right or not: I have just told them there are a lot of assholes in the world and you can learn a lot from assholes, like how not to be one. ( However I have learned asshole does not equate w/ drinking, because we all cross the line at some time w/ that one!) Anyhow, I have told my kids the first expectation is that they graduate from high school and have made that a mindset. They also know the expectation is to go to college. Jeremy is successful in the larger university setting, Adam will hopefully be attending a community college w/ smaller classes. I can't wait until Adam graduates. When I was young, the goal was to get good grades and go to college and be successful and personable, and have fun in high school. Now parents have to focus on just getting their kids through high school before anything. The rest is still the goal for my kids, but I have had to change my viewpoint on how to reach that goal because I agree the school systems in Az leave a lot to be desired. However, my kids have been fortunate. When Adam was in Elementary school the parents funded a position for a social worker and computer teacher because the district did not have the fundung because we wanted to see our children succeed. Not all districts have this support or have the parental community that can afford to do this. My kids have had to deal w/ the idiots you described in class in additon to drug addicted peers, suicide ( I am getting tired of all the teen suicides starting in junior high school). However, my kids have better social skills than I do and have maintained good friendships with other people who are good people since grade school. I think both my boys have good character, which is important. The culture here allows for many differences, and I am proud my boys have Asian friends who have helped made them better people. We could all take a few lessons from the Asians and benefit from it! There are good teachers and bad teachers. Parents have to choose their battles wisely, otherwise it only hurts their children in the end. Geez, this parenting stuff is gut wrenching at times. I am just glad I have forums like this where people are savvy and we can apprectiate everyone's special talents, college or not. I want my children to look at the whole package and respect a person for their character, not just an education.

I think all the pink taco hullaballooo stems from from a comment that pink taco is a slang term referreing to a woman's vagina. So now we have completely digressed this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You guys are great.

Linda

Quick Reply: Pink Taco Stadium