Arizona S2000 Owners Arizona S2000 Owners. s2000arizona.com

Nitrogen in Tires

Old 09-28-2010, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by watchdogd,Sep 28 2010, 09:55 AM
So if one loses some nitrogen pressure and the replaces it with regular air going back to nitrogen later will not be a problem correct ?
no

it will not be a problem at all.....

you can do it with a clear conscience
Old 09-28-2010, 09:22 AM

No it does not cause harm to the tire or car. If you put regular air in the tire and want to go back to pure n, you will have to purge all the air out of the tire first, then fill with pure n.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by averageJoe,Sep 27 2010, 06:29 PM
Nitrogen is bigger than what???

Nitrogen, the molecule is smaller than oxygen, the molecule, and smaller than Co2 and No2, It's bigger than helium and hydrogen, but h and he do not exist at the surface of earth.

for racing, where milliseconds and millions of dollars count running something other than standard atmospheric air is probably worth it, and 'maybe' necessary to win.
thank you for the clarification on the molecule size.....

like I stated..it was what i remembered from something I was told 4 years ago...

here is the gist of what I was told, taken from another source, but essentially the same info that was passed along to me.

"Compressed air – the traditional medium for inflating car tyres – contains both oxygen (21%) and nitrogen (78%). A rubber tire is like a membrane, through which oxygen permeates three times faster than nitrogen. As a result, the oxygen slowly leaks out through the rubber walls, which leads to under-inflation. This in turn leads to higher tire wear, decreased safety and comfort, and higher fuel costs. In addition, compressed air con- tains high levels of moisture, which can accelerate the corrosion of the tyre rim.

Nitrogen is used in tires to avoid air leaking through the tire wall, which results in under-inflation. It is easy to produce, does not support combustion, has no smell and is also a component of atmospheric air.

The difference between the pressure in a tire and the pressure outside, causes oxygen to permeate through the tyre. Nitrogen is less likely to migrate through tire rubber than is oxygen, which means that your tire pressures will remain more stable over the long term.

Nitrogen is all around us: the air we breathe is 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen and the rest is small amounts of other gasses. When it comes to tire inflation, nitrogen has many advantages over oxygen. With nitrogen tire inflation, improvements can be noted in a vehicle's handling, fuel efficiency and tire life through better tire pressure retention, improved fuel economy and cooler running tire temperatures."

as far as racing goes..... like I also stated earlier.... Nitrogen filled tires didn't fluctuate in pressure like normal "atmospheric air" did. This allows me to keep the handling more consistent throughout the day at the track......as I have had tires with "air" change by as much as 10psi during a run session.

Nitrogen filled tires change much less....maybe 2-3 psi
Old 09-28-2010, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by averageJoe,Sep 28 2010, 12:17 PM
Not trying to argue, but the article and your racing anecdote contradict because they are referring to different situations. The article is talking about losing VOLUME of air with atmospheric air, but you state that you see an increase in pressure while using atmospheric air....humm.

You see a larger increase in pressure due to the transformation of a liquid to a gas, due to the higher temps evaporation the h2o. You dont see a loss of 10psi in a track session's length of time by just letting your car sit in the driveway. You will see a pressure loss, due to losing volume of air over a long period of time with any inflation content.

For visual reference, because I like thinking this way, you can inflate a tire with block of dry ice, even over pressurize the tire and burst it if you use a large enough piece of dry ice. This is solid to a gas, but similarly h2o in the atmosphere does the same

I wasn't arguing with you Joe.... just displaying the reasoning behind using nitrogen as it was explained to me way back when......

yes they are referring to volume loss in the article as the cause for the decrease in pressure...

in the racing example I was referring to a pressure change based on an increase in temperature....doesn't pressure change based on temperature?

It has been a long time since I was in school..sooo I am a little rusty, but I seem to recall as temperature increases, doesn't pressure increase as well?

with nitrogen used in racing, it's rate of pressure increase isn't as great as "air"....therefore it is a more stable gas?

this has gotten way complicated....