Arizona S2000 Owners Arizona S2000 Owners. s2000arizona.com

Need New Cylinder Head -OR- Machinist

Old 01-25-2009, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need New Cylinder Head -OR- Machinist

Here's the stink.
A couple of years ago, I decided that it would be a good idea to change spark plugs. I was tracking my S at every event I could find where I could go fast and improve lap times. Yeah, I was in to the whole scene of beginner racing.
Well, Here's the deal... see. I put in new spark plugs thinking that I was all that in top maintenance and performance. What I didn't do was TORQUE the forkers to 18 ft-lbs. I trusted my previous experience where one hand tightens then "seats" the plug with a 1/8th turn from a wrench. WRONG!
The number 2 cylinder's spark plug, after a year, managed to blow itself stripped and I was faced with a removal of the cylinder head and insert in the 2nd cylinder to fix that hole.
Well... tonight I find that that number 2 spark plug hole was apparently just heli-coiled and the spark plug just isn't seating right ever. There is a gap in the sealing ring because it appears that the top of the heli-coil is not flush. Imagine a coil cut off and you've got what I'm seeing at the spark plug.
My S engine has a rhythmic, sewing machine rumble that co-incides with the RPMs and I'm thinking that it is because the number 2 cylinder has just a bit more volume and less compression than the other three.
Here's what I'm after...
I need a suggestion for a supurb machine shop...AND I'd also like to find a reputable source for a new 2.2L cylinder head.
I really need the techies and machine-heads here for a forum.
My S is not a daily driver and can be put in moth-balls while the cylinder head issue is fixed.
Either I find a magician machinist, or find a new head.
Word?
Old 01-25-2009, 04:56 PM

DO NOT DRIVE YOUR CAR UNTILL YOU CAN FIX THIS PROBLEM!
SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME!

Click These Links:

The Story

The Results

good luck with everything
Old 01-25-2009, 05:12 PM

those are horror stories that I don't believe apply.
I did a pressure check, (Thanks Mervin), and the number 2 is 10lbs lower than the rest. What we see is when the number 2 spark plug is taken out that there is about 1/4 of the seal ring that is not compressed - even after the plug was torqued to 18 ft-lbs. upon closer inspection, it is quite obvious that the seating rim is un-even. It appears that a heli-coil was inserted but not flushed.
I can take a long skinney rod and run it around the base of the spark tube and it is then even more painfully obvious that the seating area is not flush.
I am willing to take off the head to have it re-finished - or look for a new cylinder head. Hopefully the piston walls are not scratched from debris.

Fellow Sk2 drivers and enthusiasts... TORQUE EVERYTHING ... including the farggin' SPARK PLUGS! I screwed up and feel terrible about causing damage to my excellent machine!

But machines can be fixed.
There has got to be a machinist in the valley who is considered an "artist". I need to find that shop.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to the Honda dealership if you want a new head.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:45 PM

I have a 2.0L head that I was going to put on my back up block. I think 00-05 use the same head.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bryan720' date='Jan 26 2009, 02:45 AM
I have a 2.0L head that I was going to put on my back up block. I think 00-05 use the same head.
According to Majestic Honda's online ordering (www.hondaautomotiveparts.com), you sir are correct:

Part No. 374091 (If I'm not mistaken), list at Majestic is $1335.

And it is indeed different on the 2006+ models.

Good luck!
Old 01-26-2009, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Bryan720' date='Jan 25 2009, 10:45 PM
snds like we have a winner, buy that sucker.

some days I love how simple and long lasting these cars are... other days i think "what a brittle pile of #$%^" how could they make most of the car so sound and then have an issue like this... lame!
Old 01-27-2009, 06:21 AM

... well, it is a well-engineered machine with tight tolerances. I'm a bit disappointed with myself for not torquing the spark plugs a while back. I would torque everything and assumed spark plug seating is spark plug seating. Now, I torque everything!
Thanks for all the info!
Old 01-28-2009, 08:11 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dat boi' date='Jan 25 2009, 09:35 PM
Go to the Honda dealership if you want a new head.
Dude, never ever go to the stealership... youll pay way more than you actually need to. Anyways, why the hell would you use a dealer in the first place when you have an elite shop like Science of Speed out here.

Used heads or even you current head can be machined, most likely, and cut your repair down to a fraction of the cost.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyushin' date='Jan 28 2009, 09:11 AM
Dude, never ever go to the stealership... youll pay way more than you actually need to. Anyways, why the hell would you use a dealer in the first place when you have an elite shop like Science of Speed out here.

Used heads or even you current head can be machined, most likely, and cut your repair down to a fraction of the cost.
to get a NEW head...I doubt SOS has one laying around.

Quick Reply: Need New Cylinder Head -OR- Machinist