Arizona S2000 Owners Arizona S2000 Owners. s2000arizona.com

Need advice!

Old 03-19-2005, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice!

As i was driving on the loop 101 and just before my exit camelback, i notice a dog run into the freeway and there was a car on the middle lane so i couldnt switch into it and i tried to avoid it but didn't want to lose control so there wasn't enough time to avoid the huge dog so i hit it. I pull off the freeway and i pull into a gas station cuz i thought i heard the dog dragging under my car, but when i got out to look, my front bumper is cracked and the frame behind the bumper is dented back. And the plastic under my bumper is rubbing on the ground. Im so pissed, i felt bad about the dog and it scared the shit out of me cuz when i hit it around 60mph the back of my car slid maybe cuz the rain but i almost lost control. So i am lucky because it could of been worse. Does insurance cover this? Also, do you guys know any good body shops you have experienced to get my car fixed? Since it will probably cost the same for a 00-03 front bumper and a 04 bumper will they let me just get a 04 bumper instead? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!!
Old 03-20-2005, 08:29 AM

Insurance should cover it no problem but it may not be worth the claim depending on deductible. Also if I remember correctly you are fairly young so you may get nailed on your premiums. If you don't want to be paying for it forever it might be better just to find a used bumper on here and scrounge up the other parts if needed (they're probably ok to reuse). If you do a claim the '04 bumper shouldn't be an issue just instruct the shop that is what you want, the adjuster wouldn't ever know the difference. You could even get something aftermarket if you wanted, the shop may have you sign something to accept that you do not want OEM parts blah blah blah... but again shouldn't be an issue.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:35 AM

Well my deductible is 500 and i'm pretty sure it's more than 500 worth of damage. it's not only the bumper that is messed up, the frame behind the bumper looks like it got dented back and i dunno what else might of been damaged. i dont want an aftermarket bumper, if i can i will probably just go for the 04 front bumper i like how it looks, especially with the mugen splitter. well i hope everything goes the way im planning.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:28 AM

I can't tell without looking but it would have to be a very heavy dog to mess up anything really major to be beyond repair. Does your hood still fit squarely and the headlights pointing correct? With paint work and parts you will definitely be over $500 but I would be more worried about your premium that would go up $500/yr for the rest of your life (sorry if I'm being a little dramatic but it seems to be that way with insurance companies).
Old 03-20-2005, 06:30 PM

Hitting an animal is covered under comprehensive (aka other than collision) on most automobile insurance policies. Depending on your carrier, it may not count against you - you can read your policy contract (although policy rating is typically not part of the contract) or research it on your carrier's website if you want to verify the information.

Here is the information from Statefarm.com
http://www.statefarm.com/insuranc/auto/options.htm - look under comprehensive, clearly specifies animal.

You were in a no-win situation. It was better to hit the dog than hit another car or slide off the road, then it would have been a collision claim. Thank God it wasn't an elk.

I highly recommend Elite as well. Everyone there is spectacular.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:33 PM

should i have my mom file the claim so my premium doesnt go up so much? because i dont think i'm goign to want to pay for the damages out of my pocket
Old 03-20-2005, 10:20 PM

Whose name is the car insured under? You or your mom? It has been my experience w/ my boys that unless there was an accident report, etc. we did not have any problems w/ an increase in premiums. Just use a shop that works w/ your insurance, which Elite probably does. I carry the insurance for my sons vehicles. The inconvenience is waitng for the repairs to be done, in most cases, and not having the car to drive. ...Fortuneately you did the right thing. Hitting an object at 60 MPH is damaging, even if it's a bunny.
-Linda
Old 03-21-2005, 11:31 PM

i think i'm just going to a nearby body shop that the insurance company recommended. When i take my car there should i just talk to the people there and ask after the insurance company gives them the money for the repairs if they could just order the 04 bumper and the splash guards cuz those are messed up also. or would i have to get the money from them and say im going to buy the bumper myself? how long do you guys think this whole process will take, hopefully won't take too long because i need my car.. =/
Old 03-22-2005, 07:17 AM

Have the shop order the parts, that way they are directly responsible for the quality and most likely will get a discount vs. you buying it and having them waive some of the deductible or something. Make sure you go over it very clearly before you authorize them to start work that you want the '04 bumper and any other parts that will be necessary to retrofit. If you don't they might come back saying there were unexpected costs and will try to charge you (yet another reason you don't go to random places but you haven't really listened to anybody so far so...). Good luck!!
Old 03-22-2005, 10:56 PM

well i would choose elite, but my mom is the one that called the insurance company for me and plus i dunno how i would get my car to elite because i wouldnt want to drive it for a long time, the front is dragging on the floor. i think im taking the car to the shop tomorrow so ill tell them to get me the 04 bumper with the tow hook cover front grill and 04 splash guards. i think that's all that's needed for the 04 front bumper

Quick Reply: Need advice!