Arizona S2000 Owners Arizona S2000 Owners. s2000arizona.com

Moving to Phoenix...HELP!!!!

Old 12-05-2003, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to Phoenix...HELP!!!!

Hey everyone. I just got a job in Phoenix starting January 1st. I don't know a damn thing about Phoenix except that it's a bit warmer and drier than Little Rock. I'll be buying a home shortyly after getting there. If any of you have any recommendations about where I and my wife and our baby girl should live, please let me know. Thanks very much. Oh, and any further things to look out for, things to do, things to avoid, etc, are appreciated. Thanks!

Uecker
Old 12-05-2003, 03:27 PM

How much house are you looking to buy?
Old 12-05-2003, 03:30 PM

Look up relocation sites online, most are pretty good.

Where will you work? (address or intersection and city)

Phoenix is about the size of DFW in the expanse. Little Rock would be considered one of our suburbs...
Old 12-05-2003, 04:13 PM

I'm looking at spending around 150 K for a home + or - a bit. I'll be working at Maricopa County medical center, I guess that's someplace downtown-ish. Is Phoenix really as large as DFW? I guess I'd like to live someplace not too far out but not too expensive either...Any decent suburbs anyone could recommend?
Old 12-05-2003, 05:13 PM

West side

It's about 15 to 20 minutes to Downtown.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:41 PM

Yeah, don't move near that hospital, you might get shot! Somewhere like 40th St. & Camelback would be good. In the Arcadia district. Really nice area and not too long of a drive to the hospital.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:43 PM

Pricey in Arcadia.....but a good idea. I'd look in Scottsdale. You are going to spend >150
Old 12-05-2003, 06:47 PM

Thanks....What else? I don't know a thing about this town...Help an S2000 owner out.

Uecker
Old 12-05-2003, 07:13 PM

summer is hot......Just understand that.....It takes 2 years for your body to change and get accustomed to the heat(you blood will pick up 20% more water).

Drink lots of water while you are here. You don't even realize you are getting dehydrated but you are. Grat place to live. Moved here 15 years ago and don't want to leave.

Lots of things to do. Everything is close. Vegas 6 hrs, LA 6 hrs San diego 5 hrs.
The city is fun, pretty safe, and a great place to be.

IMHO....The east side of town is more affluent side and the west side is more blue collar. Although there are exceptions to the rule. Check out the zoolights at the zoo when you get here. They decorate the zoo for x-mas and take it down shortly after new years. The Fiesta Bowl is in tempe then, so check out mill ave. ASU, Sedona, Cave Creek, Scottsdale. Take your wife on the art walk in old town scottsdale(you'll get some for sure.....).
Old 12-05-2003, 07:39 PM

asu-lee, 6 hours to Vegas? In what? A school bus?

There are many areas in Tempe and Chandler where you can get pretty decent housing at that price point, but you are looking at a 30 minute commute to downtown during rush hours. South Scottsdale would work, I don't know much about Phoenix proper. Do your homework and check school districts, on the eastside the Kyrene and Chandler schools are excellent. My MIL runs a mortgage brokerage in Scottsdale and can plug you in with a Realtor and mortgage if you need any help there.

Lots of great places to daytrip, and plenty of pro sports, concerts, nightlife etc... Very kid friendly, lots of organized sports, good schools if you choose the right area. Lots of great people IMO

Like Lee said it gets very hot here and you have to get acclimated to the heat and consuming massive quantities of water. Try and get out of town a couple of times between late may and September to break up the oppressive heat. We get summer storms in August that are pretty kick ass at times but generally its warm and sunny. 295 sunny days a year.

Quick Reply: Moving to Phoenix...HELP!!!!