May Group Drive

Old 05-14-2012, 03:18 PM

Received 193 Likes on 119 Posts

lol
Old 05-14-2012, 06:51 PM
gnk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AZS2KDancer
Great advice and discussion from this group. I will be a little more careful next time out. It could have been a lot worse. I think I let myself get ahead of my skill set and pushed too hard, but the AP1 S wasn't as forgiving as I had hoped. I think I got an expensive lesson out of this ride, and that I got away lucky. As I continue, I will be looking at driving classes and autocross as an option, and HPDE1. These were all on my want to do list this year, but I couldn't swing it financially. Once I finished my sound system upgrade, I'll be saving for some track time. It sounds like it's best for me to stay in the back, but it would be nice to have some phone numbers in case I get left behind for what ever reason. I got Kerry's, Tom's, and Roger's yesterday, so if any of you would like to exchange phone numbers via PM, I'll be happy to share.
Also, although I haven't been on that many drives with this group, this trip was the fastest overall pace I've seen. Usually there are a few that are slower/more relaxed than you or I. The phone number thing is good. While you guys were passing us by on the alternate route into Jerome, we were trying to dig up numbers for you, Roger, or Marcus, and came up empty.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:32 PM

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

This was the fastest I've ever tried to push my car. I'm not used to paces like that, and from what happened that caught me by surprise, I don't think my car is set up for speeds like that on roads like that. Until I get some track training in on how to better handle at those speeds, I'll be happy to stay behind until I know this car a lot better.

Does this group use tail drivers, to help make sure the group stays together, even with faster drivers up front? with everyone changing positions so frequently, it was hard for me to keep track of who I was following and who was behind me, or how many in each direction. Maybe some more frequent rest stops to make reality checks and recollect everyone? Maybe a re-read of the article, The Pace?
Old 05-14-2012, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by AZS2KDancer
Does this group use tail drivers, to help make sure the group stays together, even with faster drivers up front?
I usually stay in the back of the pack because the wife and I prefer to just cruise and take pictures. I missed this drive because Erica and I are on the Midwest part of the book tour, but when we go on drives we stay to the back of the pack for mop up/anchor duty (I also bring along the med kit I had in A-Stan, so I figure if troubles arise the group is covered). If we're on the drive, you won't be taxing the tires sitting behind us... But you might get bored
Old 05-14-2012, 08:36 PM

I am a little confused by these last two posts.

Gnk, when you say fastest overall then I assume that means the highway stretch on 93 then the 96/97 to 89A. I know you drove home separately. You led the 93 stretch and all but a few miles of the 96/97 section. I led on the 89a section. Are you saying you felt that you as a leader were driving really fast?

If people think the pace was fast, and it made you push faster than you were comfortable, don't blame anyone but yourself for pushing. The route was published, and the directions were posted for everyone to print and follow. I have been doing group drives and S2000 specific drives for a long time. I have done these drives in NC, VA, PA, CA, and AZ. Every drive I have been on has been the same thing. Some people drive faster than others. No one is obligated or should feel like they have to "keep pace" with the whole group. To each their own. Drive within your comfort level and at what ever pace you want. I did not witness any lane cutting or ridiculous unsafe behavior. I led for a short stretch and yes I drove quickly, but I was well within my comfort level and what I know I am capable of. If other people think that was too fast, that is fine but you don't have to keep up with me. Drive at your pace, and enjoy the drive in whatever way you want. If people are going fast, let them go fast. If you are worried about being left behind, then start printing the drive itineraries and learn the route. We will always slow down and flag the group down if we get separated. We always do everything we can that if we get separated, we try to make sure no one gets left behind. If you are in the middle and uncomfortable, wave the group by. That is no different then all the cars we came upon that pulled off to the side of the road and let us pass.

We had a tail group in Roger and Marcus. I believe they were right there with you and stayed with you the rest of the trip. There usually are some people in the rear of the group to help keep the group together. Our group got separated because a few people decided to fly past the group right before the turn off. It happens, not much could be done.

This trip had 4 rest stops planned. The meeting at Starbucks/Fry's, the gas station in wickenburg, and the gas station in Prescott (which we skipped because of time)and lunch. This was a 8.5hr trip, any more stops and its going to be a veryyyyy long day.

I just re-read the pace article and I would not do anything differently.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by silence808
Originally Posted by AZS2KDancer' timestamp='1337052727' post='21698800
Does this group use tail drivers, to help make sure the group stays together, even with faster drivers up front?
I usually stay in the back of the pack because the wife and I prefer to just cruise and take pictures. I missed this drive because Erica and I are on the Midwest part of the book tour, but when we go on drives we stay to the back of the pack for mop up/anchor duty (I also bring along the med kit I had in A-Stan, so I figure if troubles arise the group is covered). If we're on the drive, you won't be taxing the tires sitting behind us... But you might get bored

Don't you guys go on nature walks during the long trips too? I think on the Devil trip we passed you while you were hiking
Old 05-14-2012, 08:52 PM
gnk

Originally Posted by adrs2k
I am a little confused by these last two posts.

Gnk, when you say fastest overall then I assume that means the highway stretch on 93 then the 96/97 to 89A. I know you drove home separately. You led the 93 stretch and all but a few miles of the 96/97 section. I led on the 89a section. Are you saying you felt that you as a leader were driving really fast?

If people think the pace was fast, and it made you push faster than you were comfortable, don't blame anyone but yourself for pushing. The route was published, and the directions were posted for everyone to print and follow. I have been doing group drives and S2000 specific drives for a long time. I have done these drives in NC, VA, PA, CA, and AZ. Every drive I have been on has been the same thing. Some people drive faster than others. No one is obligated or should feel like they have to "keep pace" with the whole group. To each their own. Drive within your comfort level and at what ever pace you want. I did not witness any lane cutting or ridiculous unsafe behavior. I led for a short stretch and yes I drove quickly, but I was well within my comfort level and what I know I am capable of. If other people think that was too fast, that is fine but you don't have to keep up with me. Drive at your pace, and enjoy the drive in whatever way you want. If people are going fast, let them go fast. If you are worried about being left behind, then start printing the drive itineraries and learn the route. We will always slow down and flag the group down if we get separated. We always do everything we can that if we get separated, we try to make sure no one gets left behind. If you are in the middle and uncomfortable, wave the group by. That is no different then all the cars we came upon that pulled off to the side of the road and let us pass.

We had a tail group in Roger and Marcus. I believe they were right there with you and stayed with you the rest of the trip. There usually are some people in the rear of the group to help keep the group together. Our group got separated because a few people decided to fly past the group right before the turn off. It happens, not much could be done.

This trip had 4 rest stops planned. The meeting at Starbucks/Fry's, the gas station in wickenburg, and the gas station in Prescott (which we skipped because of time)and lunch. This was a 8.5hr trip, any more stops and its going to be a veryyyyy long day.

I just re-read the pace article and I would not do anything differently.
I didn't mean this to sound as a complaint. I was just commenting that there wasn't a slow group. While I was a leader I drove at what was a comfortable or moderately aggressive pace for me (once we got off of 93). I'm glad you took over on 89A. I pushed a little harder there trying to keep up with you, but that is on me, and I have no complaints.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:02 PM

Ok thanks for clearing it up. The internet makes it hard to differentiate what is what sometimes . Just trying to make sure everyone had a good time and if there are ways to make the drives better that we do.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:10 PM
gnk

Originally Posted by adrs2k
Ok thanks for clearing it up. The internet makes it hard to differentiate what is what sometimes . Just trying to make sure everyone had a good time and if there are ways to make the drives better that we do.
Yes, I wanted to add that I did have a great time - I really liked the roller coaster ride of 97 - good company and decent food. I think the more we drive together, the more things work themselves out. Like when we went to Wake the Devil, there was enough distance for everyone to see who was good to follow, etc. The risk in having too many rules is getting too stuffy.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:16 AM

"Our group got separated because a few people decided to fly past the group right before the turn off. It happens, not much could be done."

Throttle got stuck.

Quick Reply: May Group Drive