Arizona S2000 Owners Arizona S2000 Owners. s2000arizona.com

Isn't the left lane a passing lane?

Old 10-25-2003, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was surprised today coming home from Sedona with the group, of all the people that were driving in the passing lane. I think most know that it is there as a passing lane, but they don't seem to care. I was watching a show on the autobahn on the History Channel, and people there are very aware to stay right unless you are passing and if you are caught driving in the passing lane, you are ticketed very heavy. I hate passing on the right, but found myself doing so today.
It was a very fun drive and I am glad I went. Can't wait for the next one. I hope the Greer Run is going as good as what we experienced today. The S/C made it even that much funner. I know now what Doc meant by "heatsoak"
and I am definitely getting the A/C sometime next spring.
Old 10-25-2003, 07:03 PM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

not here in america..... even if you flash people with your lights often they still stay in the left lane.... it is their given right to stay there.

Here in PA it is the law that it is the passing lane, but it is not enforced.
Old 10-25-2003, 10:42 PM

I hear you Jayhawker. On the way home today, about 50% of the cars moved over, and the rest made me pass them on the right. After having driven in Germany and observing the lane discipline that you get there, it used to really bother me that people here camp in the left lane.

The other thing I noticed is that after making you pass them on the right, then they move over - like they are asleep and suddenly you have wakened them. Now that is a scary thought.
Old 10-25-2003, 10:46 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here in California usually I go faster in the right lane than the far left lane. Except for the occational really slow vehicle, most people just migrate to the left and hang out there.
Old 10-28-2003, 01:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Usually if I am traveling faster than all the other vehicles around me, I consider myself in a permanent "passing" state and will stay in that lane to avoid unnecessary lane changes when overcoming multiple vehicles.

In SoCal, there's too much traffic and everyone jockeys for position. All the lanes get filled too.

In AZ, I got the surprise of my life when I saw solo drivers in the HOV lane. Where I come from, if the HOV lane is available, it requires 2 or more passengers. Period. If times are posted (they usually are 24/7), then it's 2 or more when the times are valid. Outside those times NOBODY uses it. Don't even get me started over crossing solid lines getting into the HOV lanes
Old 10-28-2003, 10:34 AM

The other interesting part is that DPS - with the commitment to 'traffic safety' that is their focus (not revenue generation, of course), they will ticket you for passing on the right rather than the joker going 10 mph under in the left lane. I also find it interesting that despite our cars (and all other foreign cars) being equipped with a 'flash to pass' feature, DPS considers flashing your lights 'road rage' - carrying much stiffer penalties than regular traffic violations.

I drive the interstate in a different state just about every week. There is no worse place for left lane abuse than I-17 between Flagstaff and Phoenix.

So here's to all the DPS officers working hard out there to keep our roads 'safe' - hiding behind one bush at a time....
Old 10-28-2003, 11:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ceo2b
The other interesting part is that DPS - with the commitment to 'traffic safety' that is their focus (not revenue generation, of course), they will ticket you for passing on the right rather than the joker going 10 mph under in the left lane.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by ceo2b
I also find it interesting that despite our cars (and all other foreign cars) being equipped with a 'flash to pass' feature, DPS considers flashing your lights 'road rage' - carrying much stiffer penalties than regular traffic violations.
Hmmm. I think I'd have to fight that in court. Don't know about the Honda, but my Saturn owners' manual indicates my control lever for my "passing lights."

You're right, I-17 is the WORST for left laners. Experienced an even worse phenomena on I-93 on the way to Laughlin a couple of weeks ago with the newly installed PASSING LANES. Everyone doing 55MPH, lane comes and EVERYONE fans out, then goes the SAME SPEED! I had to play Speed Racer, weaving around people at obnoxious speeds... fun but plenty dangerous...
Old 10-29-2003, 12:00 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The left lane is for passing....unless your ignorant, then its a place to loiter.

Old 10-29-2003, 12:19 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last night I encountered the coolest guy. I was behind a LLL (left land lover) who wouldn't move. I was going to pass the bastard in the right lane and was about to be cut off by the guy in the right lane, but the guy in the right lane instead signaled me to get over so I could pass the guy. That was so cool.