Arizona S2000 Owners Arizona S2000 Owners. s2000arizona.com

First Major Problem

Old 09-29-2008, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CrMo flywheels are hard to resurface if at all. IIRC the Comptech FW is CrMo and I've read that it can be resurfaced like once.

My bad on the clutch recommendation. I was looking at the CC ironman clutch. If you're staying NA get the stage 2
Old 09-30-2008, 05:35 AM

chances are if the clutch lasts as long as the last one, then resurfacing the flywheel will be the last of his worries.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:47 AM

Hahaha. All too true. Well we will see on thursday or friday. I 2nd-Day-Air delivered the clutch and flywheel, they will be here tomorrow morning (and currently delivery is on time).

I pretty much figured that the flywheel wouldn't hold the revs high........I guess i'll just have to learn to shift lightning quick. HA!!!!

I actually upgraded from stage 1 to stage 2 for free. the company called me and said hey I wanted to ask before I submit your order if you wanted to go with the stage 2 clutch kit, its the same price. I thought for a minute, and went for it. So we will see

I will definitely let everyone know how this combination is. Alas, from what I hear, I won't be able to go on a run this saturday (which I was planning to further enjoy the insane toyo proxes r888s and to test out the new tranny work), because I guess you have to break in the flywheel for 750 miles. Which blows!!!!! I wanna run

And btw, the toyo proxes r888 tires are INSANE!!!!!!! They just don't let go. And the harder I push the more they grip. I don't want to post what kinds of speeds I was doing, but when I went to the 88, i was destroying my old times and corner times. Also, they heat up fast; about 5 minutes of regular driving and they are ready to go (that's coming from experience, and from an article from Toyo). I haven't felt them in the wet, but I bet that's where they suck. That and on the freeway, they're not a very tight tire. Feels a little loose in the front if you lightly jerk it while on the freeway. But on full turn-in, it is stupid crazy!
Old 10-03-2008, 07:55 AM

Awwww...............

So turns out I have to be gentle for 750 miles............THAT SUX. I get my car today around 3-ish. I don't think I can maintain myself. Below 5,500 revs, gentle clutching, etc etc etc. That's a long while, especially with how conservative I'm trying to be on miles, SADNESS!!!!
Old 10-03-2008, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by -=Theoscion=-,Sep 30 2008, 11:47 AM
And btw, the toyo proxes r888 tires are INSANE!!!!!!! They just don't let go. And the harder I push the more they grip. I don't want to post what kinds of speeds I was doing, but when I went to the 88, i was destroying my old times and corner times. Also, they heat up fast; about 5 minutes of regular driving and they are ready to go (that's coming from experience, and from an article from Toyo). I haven't felt them in the wet, but I bet that's where they suck. That and on the freeway, they're not a very tight tire. Feels a little loose in the front if you lightly jerk it while on the freeway. But on full turn-in, it is stupid crazy!
I've heard great things about this tire, but they wear out even faster than azenis
Old 10-03-2008, 10:34 AM

[QUOTE=JsUmSiTtIhN,Oct 3 2008, 11:14 AM] I've heard great things about this tire, but they wear out even faster than azenis
Old 10-08-2008, 03:42 PM

So.....I got my car back yesterday. Had it for maybe 15 minutes before it turned around and went back. I was so pissed. After almost a week and a half!!!!!!

I went there and raised some hell. First, I wanted to know why my torque damper was completely disconnected. They didn't know. They were going to reassemble it for me, but I knew they wouldn't do it right so I asked them to just take it off and I would put it back together myself. Once they got it off, turns out the inside of the damper was shattered. Parts were all over the place inside the tube. The good news is that they offered (without me asking) to replace it for me.

2nd, I came in and raised some hell because I kept hearing a serious clacking noise when I revved. I opened the hood (hence how I found the damper issue) and played with the throttle a little bit. And became enraged as it sounded like a serious valve clicking/clacking problem, almost to the point that something wasn't firing right. I said "F**K that!!!!!!" So I showed them the noises; fortunately it turned out to be in the transmission, so just needs to be worked with some more, the bad news is is that I still don't have my car. They have to open it back up and see what was going on. So we'll see what happens. I dropped a pretty good handful of cash on this whole ordeal, so I'm hopingg that it will turn out well.

On a side note, I got to feel the clutch & flywheel, in the brief time I had it. HOLY CRAP!!!!! Very grabby clutch, but OEM engagement, i can still slip it for easy take-offs and what not, but if i let it out quick it will grab on and not let go. The flywheel, definitely sped up the revs, not as much as I envisioned, but still definitely faster. On my youtube page, I have a video of a free rev at pavillions one saturday. I'm going to create a 2nd one and post it after the break-in period, to compare and show the difference between stock and the upgrade.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:34 AM

So finally the whole ordeal is done. After near 2 months of hassle from this transmission shop, and irregular noises and operation, it all been hashed out and she seems to be running strong. As you will read from my "Trouble Strikes Again", it appeared that the transmission was finally done correctly, after 3 attempts, but my differential was going bad (the pinion gear was DEMOLISHED), the transmission shop said it was the driveshaft and that it skipped teeth or whatever. So i finally got it to where I wanted it to be: Science of Speed.

They figured it was the differential, rebuilt it with the better gears, and gave me some pointers for caring for the differential. In addition they let me know that the transmission is probably driveable, but he did notice some irregular noise and some notchiness in the gears, which he thinks is because they replaced bearings and brass but not the hubs, and some clutch buzz. But he said, you should be good to run it, and when it goes, I should just purchase a new/used one rather than rebuild my current one. So that's probably what I'm gonna do.

Science of Speed was so helpful and awesome. I can't to bring them more work, and watch their amazing knowledge and skill work wonders on my car!

Thanks again Science of Speed!