Arizona S2000 Owners Arizona S2000 Owners. s2000arizona.com

First Major Problem

Old 09-28-2008, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not to shabby.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:54 PM

Very ABUSIVE. In addition, technically I still have more life out of the clutch. They said it sounded like its starting to go, but I know from feel I don't have any clutch slippage yet. I have burned some clutch a few times here and there, but I bet I could squeeze more out of it. I'm using this tranny work as an opportunity to upgrade it, so that I don't have to pay extra labor. So I am upgrading, but I can't seem to get any type of clear input or any opinions with info to back up the opinion. I just keep getting "get this" or "get that" no info why one is better than the other.

Is anyone having problems with the OEM clutch holding on to a lightweight flywheel?

Im still not convinced that staying OEM clutch is a good idea. I get the feeling that is a comfort, daily-driving opinion, which I don't care about.

Please guys I need some feedback I'm too amateur to make this decision without solid, non-conflicting feedback and info

clutch considerations: ACT, CenterForce, OEM, or something else?

flywheel considerations: Chromoly (found a no-name Chromoly flywheel for $250 on ebay), Xact, or something else?

Thanks a bunch.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:57 PM

I would stay OEM flywheel. Just get it resurfaced. OEM is only like 4-5 lbs heavier than most aftermarket street flywheels. I can't justify the extra $2-300.

Check out competion clutch or RPS. I'm looking to getting one of them. For the RPS I would get the sport clutch w/ 6 puck sprung hub. I prefer the sportier feel. If you like OEM engagement stay w/ a full face disk.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:12 PM

Now that's info I could use. thank you very much. I will look in to them, being that tomorrow HAS to be purchasing day.

I was supposed to purchase friday, but wanted input from here (with supporting data), so I've already delayed progress.

Any other input or thoughts? Please keep personal opinions without supporting data to a minimum.

thanks
Old 09-28-2008, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by SOHCmyDOHC,Sep 28 2008, 07:57 PM
I would stay OEM flywheel. Just get it resurfaced. OEM is only like 4-5 lbs heavier than most aftermarket street flywheels. I can't justify the extra $2-300.

Check out competion clutch or RPS. I'm looking to getting one of them. For the RPS I would get the sport clutch w/ 6 puck sprung hub. I prefer the sportier feel. If you like OEM engagement stay w/ a full face disk.
I looked into the brands you suggested, didn't find much with RPS for the s2000 (at all, unless I'm not looking right).

But I did find Competition Clutch for the s2000, and it sounds rather promising, especially for the $. I was looking at the Stage 1.

here is a link:
http://www.promotiveconcepts.com/cocl20hos2.html

Anybody have any input on that clutch?
Old 09-28-2008, 08:00 PM

Although its still only a few pounds, I want to go for it. I want to get flywheel (at the least) for the sake of revving faster, cuz I think that's awesome. But I think that to get as fast as I ultimately want to be, and staying NA, I need to do everything I can to make that car move faster.

That said, here is the flywheel, im thinking of:

http://twincamtech.stores.yahoo.net/tods2ligflyw.html

8.36 pounds, and 100% chromoly steel. Not quite clear what that means, but I hear its good. Do i need to worry abut that flywheel shattering on me?

Thanks
Old 09-29-2008, 07:43 AM

You want a good reason to stay with the oem clutch package...? It lasted you 138K miles that says enough for me. ok maybe if you want get a lighter flywheel, but it will now be harder to get the car moving. The engine will rev faster, but you are losing 5 or so pounds of inertia that help the engine out. I had one on my daily camaro at one point and it was only one for a week it sucked. just my $.02.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Col. Mustard,Sep 29 2008, 08:43 AM
You want a good reason to stay with the oem clutch package...? It lasted you 138K miles that says enough for me. ok maybe if you want get a lighter flywheel, but it will now be harder to get the car moving. The engine will rev faster, but you are losing 5 or so pounds of inertia that help the engine out. I had one on my daily camaro at one point and it was only one for a week it sucked. just my $.02.
As far as the clutch goes, you are 100% right about the life that my clutch lived. I know that a grabbier more aggressive clutch will not last as long. Also, I pretty much assumed that it will make the car touchy starting out, I'll probably stall a few times while I adjust, but I feel pretty confident that I can adapt to the new more grabby clutch feel.

What exactly will be the result of losing that 5 pounds? I'm not quite clear what you mean it does for the engine? Will I be losing power? Can it still rev to 9k without the flywheel shattering or anything? From what I'm reading, it will increase my power, cuz it doesn't need to drop power to get the heavier mass rotating. But I might be reading that wrong.

Thank you much.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:57 PM

The damage is done.

I went ahead and purchase the Competition Clutch Stage 2 (link above) and the Toda Chromoly 8.36lb flywheel (link above).

We will see what happens........I will live and learn.

Thank you all for your input and assistance.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:05 PM

you will not lose power, by ant means. the inertia is what helps keep the engine rotating, and stay rotating between shifts. I did not look at the link but Toda is not going to serll a FW that is going to blow up or shatter. Let us know how it all works and how it feels. good luck with the instal hope all goes well.

Quick Reply: First Major Problem