Arizona S2000 Owners Arizona S2000 Owners. s2000arizona.com

Fire bird this weekend

Old 04-01-2007, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fire bird this weekend

I am planning on getting my wife and I registered for the solo races this Saturday. When I went to pre-register there is some mention of some sort of time runs for newbies for 10 bucks instead of the 25 bucks to run the normal way. Can anyone enlighten me on what the difference is? I have never been to the track and would hate to register either myself or the wife for something over our heads and abilities.
I tried asking this at the azsolo forum but I still dont have posting privileges there yet.

thanks
Old 04-01-2007, 08:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Azsolo2.com is the AutoCross club.

If you are starting, that is the best place. I have never heard of the $10 option. They have a school once a year around nov/dec where they offer a 1 day instructor session which is as good as it gets.

But back to AutoX, I would just do the $25. Make sure to walk the track with the beginner group and ask as many questions as you like. Then you attend the driver's meet as per the schedule and you will see you're not the only one there for the first time. When the time comes to drive, you just run as slow or as fast as you like. It is up to you. Usually they let you do 3 runs. The 1st one is a "recon" run, then you can go full speed on the 2nd, finishing with attempting something new or pushing it too far on the 3rd. You don't have to follow that but it's what most people do.

It is ok to spin out or mess up as long as you learn something from it.

You will also get to "work" the course when you are not driving. Don't dread this as it is easy and you gain a lot by observing what others do (driving line, breaking, weight shifting, etc.).

If you don't have a helmet, they will loan you one for the runs.

I've done AutoX for fun on and off the last 5 years so ask any questions you want.

Oh and there are some S2k owners that attend regularly and even compete nationally (not on this board). They are great guys so don't be afraid to discuss any ideas you may have.

I recommend running in Group C so that you work Group A first in the morning while it's not as hot.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:47 AM

The $10 option is the "Time only" runs that go at the end of the scheduled day. They are basically bonus runs to get a little more seat time but they are subject to cancellation if the event runs long. To be eligible you do need to be registered for the day ($25+$10=6 runs). The downside is that you have to "work" two run groups as well. Good luck and if you find sometime during the day there will be a few of us running the main track on the other side of the parking lot. Come over and say hi.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:16 AM

I didn't realize that you only get three laps for an autocross day.. That is just unacceptable for anyone wanting to really progress in skill level quickly. What exactly do I need to do to run the real racing at Fire bird this weekend. I have everything needed according to the clubracingaz.com website except for the NASA membership. Can I pay and drive without one?
I really am looking to get some seat time on the track and it appears that autocross just will not afford that.
thanks for all the help.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:46 AM

I'm pretty sure you NEED the nasa membership. It's only $40/year. You can bring your receipt to the track since you won't get your card in time.

HPDE1 looks like 80 minutes of track time for the day, email last night from cra/nasa said there were only 3 spots left.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesn't seem like a lot but AutoX is a very good first step. You do get quite a bit out of it.

I really recommend going to that before doing the track run. It's like High School to College, not as smooth a transition as you think. I guarantee you will cry at the track if you've never been exposed to it, or even worse, mess up your car because you don't know how it responds when pushed to the limit.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:37 PM

thanks for the advice boofster. I definately dont want to mess up the car; Plus I want my wife to get some seat time so I guess I'll autocross a couple times then jump to the real track when I get to Virginia in July.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:44 PM

Auto-x is a very valueable first step that will teach you basic car control in a low speed & safe environment. I'm wanting to do some myself here soon because you just can't hang it out on the track like you can a wide open parking lot. I really miss throwing the car around.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:24 AM

Joe,

Ryan's explanation of Time Only's is right on. We've offered 4 runs for the past several events and even one time had as many as 5.

If you are looking for bang for the buck, then HPDE offers a lot. The local clubs have very solid programs to start you out.

Autox offers much less driving time, but it's amazing how intense a 40-45 second run can be. For me, one autox run is the equivalent to about a half dozen laps at PIR (love the infield, not big on the nascar oval).
I've done a few track days, and while they are fun I don't get anywhere near the same rush as I do at an autox.

This thread has a lot of solid info, but it's really up to you and what your preferences are. If you make it out Saturday to Skidpad#4 at FIR, you're more than welcome to take a ride with me. Look for the green miata on 13"s.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:23 PM

Ok so I read this whole post and have to know. Where is a AutoX track in the Tuscon area. Im new to AZ even more new to S2Ki and most of all never had a chance to X befor but I have been looking into it for quite some time. dont mean to high jack just trying to get some info.

Quick Reply: Fire bird this weekend