Drive This Weekend - April 27th

Old 05-06-2002, 09:45 AM
Doc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that would be sweeeeet if he did!!

JJ
Old 05-07-2002, 03:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After a late start thanks to yours truly (where is that Starbucks anyway), Doc/Mystie, ceo2b, s2k Erik, Z3 Erik, Z3M GNALUZU, ride-alonger WALKABT and myself hit the 60 around 10:30 AM. Speeds up to 90 mph until that cop lit up the Valentines and Passports at the Power road underpass. Then a brief detour for the alternate 188 route (Apache Trail) off-ramp. Oh well I guess I'm not the only one who can't follow simple directions. And we're finally on to the good stretch of road at the end of the freeway, but oops there's a golf tournament holding up traffic.

Because of the alternate route 188 detour there are now S2000's and Z3 roadsters strung out along 18 miles of US 60. Mucho chatter on the Talkabouts, and a few cell phone calls, but there are still too few cars spread out over way too much highway. The way I saw it there were three S2Ks out front and one S2000 nursing two Z3 roadsters back into the fold. I'm sure there are other viewpoints, but hey I am the one posting this trip report. A bend in road opens up a waiting spot and the three S2Ks decide to wait for their Teutonic brethren.

And here they come, after a brief pit stop, as indicated by the picture of Erik Valdez's rear in the album we're off to the really good part of the US 60 Phoenix to Globe route. Many twists and turns with good passing lanes and not much traffic for about the next 15 miles and Erik V and I are off to the races. Those 15 miles took about 10 minutes and boom were in Superior. Superior to Globe was pretty bad for traffic so we just kinda enjoyed the top down weather and started to think about where to stop for lunch.

GNALUZU suggests the Country Kitchen and hearing no argument, lunch is arranged, including the secret we're gonna stop and take a hike conversation. Not giving this secret conversation much merit, this is a drive after all, we exit Globe and head out on 188 to the damn dam.

Once again Erik V and Gloffer take the lead driving way too fast with Doc/Mystie performing admirably right on Gloffer's tail. This section of road is very challenging with elevation changes, hairpins, chicanes, and all the other twisity road adjectives I can't think of. Also to the good, there were very few traffic challenges through here all the way to the damn dam.

The BMWs and their nursemaid decide to implement the secret pact made at lunch and stopped at Tonto National Monument turnoff. Since the day's so nice, the three very fast S2000's stop just beyond the damn dam. After about 20 minutes and no @%$# BMWs were thinking it's a repeat of the morning delay. Finally they show up and inform us of the secret pact and are wondering why we weren't there. Oh well it wouldn't be a Team AZ drive without mis-communications.

Many pictures later another pit stop as witnessed by the picture of CEO2B's rear in the album and were off on the stretch from the damn dam all the way to Phoenix. Roosevelt Dam to Phoenix via 188 and 87 all in approximately one hour. Now that's moving. Oh yeah there was that cop in the Yukon going the other way that gave us pause.

Great fun, great friends, fast driving, good food, and beautiful top down weather in late April.

Thanks for changing the drive from Sunday to Saturday.
Old 05-07-2002, 04:59 PM
Doc

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

JJ
Old 05-07-2002, 07:40 PM

Nice write-up, Gloffer. I always wanted to date a nurse - not to be one, though.

I was going to make some snyde reply to Adam's comment about smoking Doc - something along the lines of him not being able to keep up for the rest of the drive and that being the ONLY time he was in front - but I'll refrain.
Old 05-08-2002, 06:10 AM

Dave,

I am glad that you decided to bit your tonge with those comments you were going to make about me..... I feel much better now.
Old 05-08-2002, 11:07 AM

actually, in GNALUZU's favor, I have to say that my extra weight strapped down his car for the first stretch. This has to be the first time that CEO 2B was not in the back of the pack! I had to take pictures to prove it.

Then in Doc's favor, the loss of my added weight allowed his M-roadster to easily pull on Doc & Mystie. My fat arse was holding CEO2B up for the last half, but had it been in GNALUZU's BMW, I think Doc would have won.
Old 05-08-2002, 04:04 PM

Ahhh the only thing holding me back was my being a wuss in the curves. Ricky doesn't weigh that much!