Arizona S2000 Owners Arizona S2000 Owners. s2000arizona.com

Cracking down on speeders.

Old 08-02-2004, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracking down on speeders.

Be careful out there guys and gals. I don't want anyone coming up with an excuse to not go to the MegaMeet!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5573939/
Old 08-03-2004, 07:36 AM
Doc

Arrrghhh....

Don't get me started. I personally feel in non-rush hour traffic, 80mph is reasonable on most phoenix freeways - 3-4 lanes, relatively empty, smooth pavement. Most modern cars can do that safely with no issues. I agree there are some terrible, irresponsible drivers out there, but I also look at the REAL reason to up the stops. They let people go easy for awhile, then put on this "program" each year to boost revenue.

If they only gave out "minimum" tickets last year for $143 a piece, that is $500,000 of revenue generation. This year they are increasing their funding in hopes to generate even more.

I guess what I am saying, they should have a constant presence all year long to maintain a level of control if that is really what they are doing it for. Not these "task forces" periodically to scare people and generate money when drivers relax after not seeing too many officers on the road. Instead they pony up some cash to make a 60 member posse to jump on people for a couple months a year. They should spread that money over the year, keep 40-50 officers active and pay for the coverage with more diligent, consistent law enforcement.

But that would decrease profits, instead of breaking even in the name of maintaining public safety.

They should invest that profit income into more sophisticated traffic control systems such as the autobahn - speed limit changes based on traffic load, tailgating cameras with aggressive stops for violators and reckless drivers, and building and maintaining high quality pavements to keep people safer.

Just my opinion.
*steps off soapbox*

JJ
Old 08-03-2004, 08:38 AM

Gee why don
Old 08-03-2004, 01:44 PM

Let it out Will.......It is bad to keep those feelings inside.
-Lee
Old 08-03-2004, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by seminole2001,Aug 3 2004, 08:38 AM
The reason that the Autobahn in Germany is such a success is that it takes YEARS to get a river license.
A what? I thought the Colorado was bad. J/K I agree with both of your statements ( Doc and Wil). Maybe the Photo radar will have an impact on those assholes who think they are Race car drivers, but can't drive worth a piece of sh*t.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:26 PM

Photo Radar is the DEVIL mamma say! $hit like that keeps additional cops off the road, and keeps the photo radar companies rich!
Old 08-03-2004, 04:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Spotted FIVE seperate cars/cops pulled over on the new stretch of 202 between Price and I-10 on the way to work!!!

Apparently DPS is not messing around out here in Chandler either!!!
Old 08-04-2004, 07:38 AM

... pulled over on the new stretch of 101 between Price and I-10 ...

That's a neat trick. I didn't think the 101 connected Price and the I-10... unless you meant the Chandler-section of the 101-N/S?

I heard they were considering photo cameras on the 101 in Scottsdale. That will be lovely revenue, and at a minimum expense.

P.S. The photo plate went BACK ON the S2000 last weekend.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:41 AM

...TEACH people how to dive in this country...
...it takes YEARS to get a river license...
Wil has water on the brain...
Old 08-04-2004, 07:52 AM

Ok, enough picking on the AZ folks, it's time for my soapbox. Allow me to quote from the article...

"We are mainly looking for speeders," Mowry said. "But we are also watching for improper lane changes, erratic and agg ressive driving."
Translation: if you're on the freeway, plan on having us lighten your pockets for one thing or another. Reminds me of a line spoken by Chet from Weird Science, "I'm even seriously considering making up some shit."

Three DPS motorcycle officers nearly lost their lives Saturday morning while using radar equipment to track speeds of vehicles under a freeway crossing on Route 51. A motorist racing along at 90 mph noticed the officers and slammed on his brakes, lost control and slid into their motorcycles.

"Luckily, they were able to jump out of the way," Lane said. "I'll probably have to increase their underwear allowance now."
Haha. That was hilarious. <he said with a sarcastic tone> It's nice that they can make light of the fact that their 'saturation' of officers (THREE OF THEM in ONE SPOT???) almost cost all three their lives. I'd like to think this is isolated, but it's only a matter of time before someone gets hurt, and not because of the speed. I guess if it's all in the name of revenue to support gross budgeting negligence, then all is well...

Quick Reply: Cracking down on speeders.