Arizona S2000 Owners Arizona S2000 Owners. s2000arizona.com

Coffee Twalk

Old 11-23-2013, 11:23 AM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

I like the G2 an RT wheels. They would both look great on our Blue color S2000's Ivan. I will put my order in with the North Pole. Ha Ha.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More F1 tech we can possibly use on our cars:

http://www.f1technical.net/development/433
Old 11-24-2013, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Feel free to flame me, it keeps my 20 year old material science education grounded...

The dimples are likely to change the R-value (like dimples in a golfball), and likely have nothing to do with the surfactant, but to reduce rotational resistance. The ribs would increase surface area, and I have a hard time understanding that they would ACCEPT IR heat from the brakes more than they would DISSIPATE heat due to the forced convection of the rotating wheel and associated aero turbulence with a greater surface area. No doubt that the F1 teams have access to finite element models to determine this, but I would bet a big budweiser the writer is stretching here.

Using a black material will help with IR transfer of heat from brakes, but does it transfer to the tire to a measurable degree?

As far as the material is concerned, I would think that the bonding of the tire to the rim fully would help thermal transfer, and filling in gaps would certainly help, but microns? A sheet of paper is 100 microns.....the rubber in a tire will flex much more than microns to fill gaps. Maybe he means small imperfections in the rim finish to keep it more smooth? Silicium seems a fancy name for Silicon, which is essentially sand and the oxide would be similar to anodizing aluminum as far as hardness is concerned. That Italian company might have a brilliant marketing dept. Maybe it is a spray that gives hardness of anodization without temperature/chemical exposure? (now that might be nifty)

To verify this, you simply need to run the same with and without the material, the pics did not do that, just showed one data point at different track positions. Not easy, but could be modeled.

I would be interested to see what the F1 teams would say if they had to choose between cooling the brakes faster, or keeping the tires hotter longer on the straights, and the effect on lap times....opinions?

Maybe they should just route the exhaust to heat the front tires? What if the brakes were central to the car, and the heat they generated was routed through the front wing to just in front of the tires?
Old 11-24-2013, 09:48 PM

Cool breakdown.

Not sure if you're following the F1 series this year but they've had a hard time keeping the tires warm and not fluctuating.

As seen in the pix, this is actually being used right now and may be working because the thermal shows the winning teams with red hot rims.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:26 PM

I really like this APR wide body kit. It's aggressive but looks not too far from a factory build.

http://www.s2kstore.com/detailedImag...548&imageNum=0
Old 11-25-2013, 05:20 PM

Blast from the past -
Jeremy Clarkson hangs out with DK Tsuchiya!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4vi2BFp2hA
Old 11-25-2013, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Boofster
Cool breakdown.

Not sure if you're following the F1 series this year but they've had a hard time keeping the tires warm and not fluctuating.

As seen in the pix, this is actually being used right now and may be working because the thermal shows the winning teams with red hot rims.
Hey Boofster, I am not discounting the use, or effectiveness, but the article and pics do not make sense with what is written. I am a natural skeptic, and some of the art of car racing defies my education and logic.

The thermal images show the tire temp, not rim temp (IR thermal camera will not shoot in "layers" from my knowledge). It is from one car, one wheel type, and 3 points on the track. The sidewall of the tire is black in each case, which means that it is cooler than the outside of the tire. If the rim was transferring heat to the tire, then I would expect a gradient from the rim vs. the contact patch. My thought is that most of the heat generation is from friction in the contact patch.

Now, these guys get paid to use something that increases 0.0000000000007% efficiency, or 0.0000000000000000000002seconds faster than the other guy, so who knows?

So then I am thinking, if the rim really is heating up the tire, it is also heating up the air within the tire. Given a constant volume, temperature and pressure are linear....(pv=nrt, ideal gas law) so if the rim is hotter, the gas inside the tire is hotter, and the pressure is greater. The gas in the tire has much more contact with the rim than the tire. Then I read about the Pirelli low inflation issues in one race, and I wonder, did they under inflate thinking they would achieve a higher operating temp? oops.

So, if I am the tire engineer, I want a constant inner temp of the gas (Nitrogen?) so I get a constant pressure. I want a constant temperature of the contact patch (high). If I rely on the rim to heat the tires, it is heating/cooling the gas in the tire also as it goes around the track, and that might be very bad for the driver.

I wonder if my son's temp thing for his RC car can catch a difference in the surface of my tires vs. the air temp in the tires.....
Old 11-25-2013, 05:41 PM

OK, you win, Jeremy Clarkson is cooler than my explanation of the ideal gas law....
Old 11-26-2013, 01:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For teh flickr users:

http://www.flickandshare.com/

Found this the other day. You can enable full downloads of entire sets of your choosing. Handy for sharing full res pictures. Combined with the guest pass feature, this just replaced all other photo sharing methods for me.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:50 PM

For this looking at LED lights. 24 SMD LED light package for S2000 at iJDMToy.com. Black Friday sale on their products at 18% off. Coupon Code Black18.

http://ijdmtoy.com/BLOG/wordpress/20...terior-lights/

Quick Reply: Coffee Twalk