Arizona S2000 Owners Arizona S2000 Owners. s2000arizona.com

Coffee Twalk

Old 07-31-2013, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The adventure continues!

Bozeman, MT to Livingston, Mt (along Interstate 90)...dropped south on 89' to Gardiner which borders the Yellowstone (North) gate. Another fuel stop with the same questions ->

- Is that thing street legal?
- How fast does it go?
- It must be hard to catch offroad!
- How much does it cost?
- Do you mind if I take a picture?

Honestly, the questions never get old and everyone is really sincere, curious and smiling...and it's flattering to enjoy this vehicle with others. For the record only ONE person has identified the Atom and that's while it was under a cover outside the Comfort Inn in Shelby, MT!

Ironically the Yellowstone entry 'gatekeeper' ($25/vehicle) asked "Is that street legal?" and proceeded to note: Any vehicle on the roadways in the park must be street legal. Tempting to have said - it's great that my tax contributions to this (Gov. funded) National Park are appreciated. Funny to note that the entry arch had a saying (something like) "To be enjoyed by all".

Yellowstone was a mixed experience. While Glacier was epic intermixed with wild weather and incredible beauty, Yellowstone seems like a place to savor over a week with a Cruise America motor home and (light) hiking gear. Highlights including traffic stopped while Bison ran past cars (on the ROAD!) and too many rough roads, at least 10 miles of dirt/gravel 'one lane at a time construction. Beautiful park but for a one-day drive...my vote is Glacier.

We exited the park (droving south on the east route) - through lots of cold rain and traffic - ultimately stopping at turn off and getting some shots of the Grand Tetons.

Jackson Hole is hustling with tourist and photographs were aplenty in the stop and go traffic. Scared of the $$$ hotel prices (we just need a clean room/WiFi and food) we crossed a mountainous pass (Hwy 26/89) to our hotel stop in Idaho Falls. This road typified our favorite style... decent posted speed limit/rural/nice sweepers and light to no traffic.

Montana (Hwy 83) S/B from Glacier National Park is a great example. 70mph posted and the few cars on the road (and tractor-trailers) are clearly locals who 'know the road'. There are places that 70mph seems like someone had some signs left over and didn't drive the road prior. We salute you - apathetic sign 'put-r-upper'.

We have approx. 480 miles to Moab, UT tomorrow... we already booked our rooms (finally at the end of the trip we're getting organized). Our AAA membership(s) have actually paid for themselves in savings (and my cohort as the car/motorcycle version). Planning to rent a Jeep Rubicon and spend a day visiting popular slick-rock trails including "Fins-N-Things"(as seen in some Jeep 'Trail-Rated' pictorials).

Saturday will be Monument Valley towards home. We talked about sunrise in MV however quickly realized it over 3hrs from Moab and the thought of getting up at 330am has little appeal. Maybe another time!

I will be reviewing all the parts, stock and aftermarket for review. For example, the Toyo R-888's have held up extremely well. High mileage, heat, rain (light/heavy/almost freezing), miles of gravel construction roads, etc. with out an issue.

That's it for now, more updates / pictures tomorrow!
Old 07-31-2013, 11:12 PM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm officially jealous.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:56 AM

What rear diff do you have in that Atom?
Old 08-01-2013, 07:29 AM

Received 193 Likes on 119 Posts

Amazing. I can't believe you did all this because I have honestly thought about doing a drive similar to this. I hope your willing to share all the details and maps etc. In your honest opinion, would this be a fun trip for a bunch of S2000's, or is part of the enjoyment just having two vehicles on the road? I know trip dynamics can change based upon number of participants.

We salute you - apathetic sign 'put-r-upper'. Real American hero.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by berny2435
Pretty sure the JDM K20A Type-R motor has an LSD stock
Old 08-01-2013, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Boofster
Originally Posted by berny2435' timestamp='1375365369' post='22700249
Pretty sure the JDM K20A Type-R motor has an LSD stock
I'm looking for more of an exact answer But yeah, the OEM K20A setup comes with a 5.06 FD and torsen type LSD. Works good enough. Had one in my 2008 Civic SI. Not sure what the FD ratio is in the Atom. Haven't seen any posted information.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would also love to see the trip map for this, as much of what you're seeing is on my bucket list....
Old 08-01-2013, 05:10 PM

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

My folks took the family of 5 on a trip from Los Angeles to Northern Alberta along a similar route, stopping in at Las Vegas and Red Rock State Park the first night, into Salt Lake City on the way to Yellowstone. We visited Glacier National Park, Grand Tetons N.P., Canadian Rockies, Banff National Park, and Lake Louise, with rides on a glacier, down to Victoria, Seattle and Mt Rainer N.P., the Oregon coast, Northern California, including Eureka, Mount Shasta N.P., and the California Redwoods, across the San Francisco Bridge and down the coast. This trip brings back good memories for me, and a desire to do a similar trip in the S.

Obviously in a a station wagon for 5 people and camping gear, we weren't driving the twisties too fast.

That's all beautiful country up there. I wish everyone could get a chance to see it.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:23 PM

Sick pics Nik.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:40 PM

http://www.world-challengetv.com/2013/#/races/640

Quick Reply: Coffee Twalk