Arizona S2000 Owners Arizona S2000 Owners. s2000arizona.com

Coffee Twalk

Old 06-26-2013, 05:18 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Anyone else following this Gears replica front lip fiasco? Starting to get nasty, should be entertaining at least.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/102...-buy-by-mcfab/
Old 06-26-2013, 06:28 AM
R_W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uh oh! That is a powder keg waiting to go off...
Old 06-26-2013, 07:23 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 356 Likes on 309 Posts

I have been watching it. That guy stepped into something he didn't fully think out. He has just been trying to make a buck off the lip he bought. His original price of $600 was insane and even at $400 it's just a copy that can now get copied. Rockstar actually made their from scratch which I respect even if it looks like the gears lip. Plus they are offering it in poly which will be much better as the fiberglass is why there are so few of the original out there.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:21 PM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

So who wants to split this with me 3 ways?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1965-...orcev4exp=true
Old 06-26-2013, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
So who wants to split this with me 3 ways?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1965-...orcev4exp=true
Dips on the white JDM and count me in
Old 06-26-2013, 01:50 PM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

I just want the red one. I am curious what the reserve is. Those cars are rare in the US since they were never sold here.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:10 PM

I know, your evil for putting this up cause now I'm seriously looking at trying to nab* one of those
Old 06-26-2013, 04:20 PM

Received 321 Likes on 170 Posts

ugh.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:48 PM

Received 321 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
I have been watching it. That guy stepped into something he didn't fully think out. He has just been trying to make a buck off the lip he bought. His original price of $600 was insane and even at $400 it's just a copy that can now get copied. Rockstar actually made their from scratch which I respect even if it looks like the gears lip. Plus they are offering it in poly which will be much better as the fiberglass is why there are so few of the original out there.
What really irritates me is that I've been trying to buy the original off of that guy, and I'm pretty sure at this point hes just jerking me around. I have an offer to him for north of $600 + shipping and he just wont reply. I've bit my tounge and not responded in his thread because I don't want to start any drama for him.

The whole deal with that lip really bothers me. Originally I would have offered up to double what he paid for it. I've been after one of those lips for years, and I'd never thought I'd see one come up for sale. He found it before I did, and purchased it with the plans to replicate it. It sucks because part of the allure of that piece was it's rarity and exclusivity. I know I sound like a dick, but honestly that's the truth. Those lips never sold back in the day because even when these cars were $30,000 nobody wanted to spend $600 + shipping on an unpainted fiberglass lip. That's part of the reason why now, when these cars (specifically the ones with the front ends that these lips go on) can be found for $9,000 this $600 lip isn't selling. People are to cheap to pay for a $500+ flawless painted OEM lip with perfect fitment and hardware, there is no way in hell they are going to pay more than that for an unpainted lipt, let alone it being a replica. The few people (myself included) who are willing to pay a premium like that are willing to do so because of the exclusivity and rarity, only now it's not rare. Now it's a knock off, a stolen design of a rare piece that someone decided to clone to make a profit off of.

I don't even know what to offer on something like that. For me personally the value plummets once the part becomes readily available. Again, I know how I sound, but we're talking about modifying our sports cars. None of this is life or death, this is all a luxury because were all financially able to afford one of the best sports cars ever made. I can tell you that I would have been super bummed out if I would have offered a ton of money one the original lip only to have Rockstar Garage come out with their version like they are... but that's a whole different ball game.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of Rockstar Garage. They steal other companies designs, and replicate them for a profit. (See Amuse Hardtop...) However, in this instance they saw a demand for a part which has basically been lost in time. There are very few copies of this lip floating around anymore (three I believe, and only 2 of them are authentic), not to mention that the original manufacturer went out of business years ago. So what did Rockstar do? They built one from the group up. That is one of the coolest things I've seen done around here. It's really hard to hate on them for hand crafting a new lip to fill a void in the market. Hell at this point I think they should just refer to is as the Rockstar Garage lip, they made it. I don't understand all the hate from people in that thread, I'll never get how people can side with someone who steals designs over someone who builds something from scratch. Hopefully this is a profitable experience for them and they start bringing new and original products to the table.

Back to the lip at hand though, I'm personally having a really hard time justifying picking up the authentic version now. I'm trying to convince myself that this will be my only opportunity to buy an authentic lip, and it very well might be, but it's just a ton of money to swallow knowing that nothing is stopping basically everyone with an AP1 from doing the same. Realistically it looks incredibly close to the OEM lip, and with those being discontinued, the RSG lip (depending on price of course) could be the best route for pretty much anyone who wants an lip for their AP1.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Feezy
Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn' timestamp='1372260226' post='22631873
What really irritates me is that I've been trying to buy the original off of that guy, and I'm pretty sure at this point hes just jerking me around. I have an offer to him for north of $600 + shipping and he just wont reply. I've bit my tounge and not responded in his thread because I don't want to start any drama for him.

The whole deal with that lip really bothers me. Originally I would have offered up to double what he paid for it. I've been after one of those lips for years, and I'd never thought I'd see one come up for sale. He found it before I did, and purchased it with the plans to replicate it. It sucks because part of the allure of that piece was it's rarity and exclusivity. I know I sound like a dick, but honestly that's the truth. Those lips never sold back in the day because even when these cars were $30,000 nobody wanted to spend $600 + shipping on an unpainted fiberglass lip. That's part of the reason why now, when these cars (specifically the ones with the front ends that these lips go on) can be found for $9,000 this $600 lip isn't selling. People are to cheap to pay for a $500+ flawless painted OEM lip with perfect fitment and hardware, there is no way in hell they are going to pay more than that for an unpainted lipt, let alone it being a replica. The few people (myself included) who are willing to pay a premium like that are willing to do so because of the exclusivity and rarity, only now it's not rare. Now it's a knock off, a stolen design of a rare piece that someone decided to clone to make a profit off of.

I don't even know what to offer on something like that. For me personally the value plummets once the part becomes readily available. Again, I know how I sound, but we're talking about modifying our sports cars. None of this is life or death, this is all a luxury because were all financially able to afford one of the best sports cars ever made. I can tell you that I would have been super bummed out if I would have offered a ton of money one the original lip only to have Rockstar Garage come out with their version like they are... but that's a whole different ball game.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of Rockstar Garage. They steal other companies designs, and replicate them for a profit. (See Amuse Hardtop...) However, in this instance they saw a demand for a part which has basically been lost in time. There are very few copies of this lip floating around anymore (three I believe, and only 2 of them are authentic), not to mention that the original manufacturer went out of business years ago. So what did Rockstar do? They built one from the group up. That is one of the coolest things I've seen done around here. It's really hard to hate on them for hand crafting a new lip to fill a void in the market. Hell at this point I think they should just refer to is as the Rockstar Garage lip, they made it. I don't understand all the hate from people in that thread, I'll never get how people can side with someone who steals designs over someone who builds something from scratch. Hopefully this is a profitable experience for them and they start bringing new and original products to the table.

Back to the lip at hand though, I'm personally having a really hard time justifying picking up the authentic version now. I'm trying to convince myself that this will be my only opportunity to buy an authentic lip, and it very well might be, but it's just a ton of money to swallow knowing that nothing is stopping basically everyone with an AP1 from doing the same. Realistically it looks incredibly close to the OEM lip, and with those being discontinued, the RSG lip (depending on price of course) could be the best route for pretty much anyone who wants an lip for their AP1.
Feez, I don't think having replicas readily available would diminish the value of the original in any way what so ever, I think it would only increase the value of it. Look at the steady increase of the OE parts ( Hardtops, AP1 Lips etc..) for our cars over the years. Every time I walk out in to my garage and see my OEM last of its kind lip I just smile, knowing that I have a part for my car that is the best made, best fitting, perfectly color matched AND no longer available. There is a reason why I paid a premium for my AP1 Lip, its an ORIGINAL.

I do want to say though that I would prefer to see you the owner of the original as opposed to someone who is trying to replicate it. I know that you understand the rarity of this part and would respect the value of it.

Quick Reply: Coffee Twalk