Arizona S2000 Owners Arizona S2000 Owners. s2000arizona.com

Clutch Replacement Advice

Old 03-28-2008, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Clutch Replacement Advice

All,
As some of you my know already, my original clutch is starting to go. I can tell by the feel of the clutch pedal, etc...
I orderded, and received today, the ACT Clutch Kit, Part Number ACT-HSI-HDR6.
Talking with Mervin, he says that that clutch kit is for racers and has severe bite. Well, I'd like a bit more bite than the stock, but I don't want to be stuck with a clutch that will be so rude that it takes away from the Ss roadability.
I do track my S and one of my complaints is that some times under acceleration - the clutch spins...since new. (I have removed the oriface)
Any of you have experience with the ACT clutch I mentioned?
I have the clutch kit now, and won't open it up as I may return it for a different model if I get experienced word.
ACT looks to be a reputable clutch maker. Perhaps I should go with a bit milder clutch kit from ACT?
I am looking for a firmer clutch engagement than stock, but not to the point where I have to have a beefy left leg to finesse for street.

Word?
Old 03-28-2008, 04:32 PM

put a clutch delay valve and hope that slows engagement enough to keep your rear end in it... i would go with centerforce... i have one of thems in the civic, and it grabs the same, but handles much more power... feels stock, but has alot more grip sick clutch, i will never get another clutch in my cars...
Old 03-28-2008, 04:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could try the street disc. I like it, had it both times I was on the track. Wish I was still in town, I'd let you take a test drive... I know a lot of people up this way swear by the OEM disc and ACT pressure plate.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:34 PM

act thumbs up... they hold up with the best of them on drift cars.. if i were you i would go with a os giken twin plate.. yummy
Old 03-28-2008, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Neutered Sputniks,Mar 28 2008, 05:33 PM
Could try the street disc. I like it, had it both times I was on the track. Wish I was still in town, I'd let you take a test drive... I know a lot of people up this way swear by the OEM disc and ACT pressure plate.
... are you saying that I should trade for another ACT clutch kit? Go for the street kit?
I really need your help here, peeps.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:20 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I personally wouldn't run a 6 puck disc. Here is what ACT has to say about the HS1-HDR6:

6-Puck Solid Hub Race Disc (R6)

* Recommended for Drag and Road Racing
Old 03-28-2008, 05:57 PM

[QUOTE=1nate7,Mar 28 2008, 06:20 PM] I personally wouldn't run a 6 puck disc. Here is what ACT has to say about the HS1-HDR6:

6-Puck Solid Hub Race Disc (R6)

* Recommended for Drag and Road Racing
Old 03-28-2008, 06:30 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SPLNDID,Mar 28 2008, 05:57 PM
No disrespect intended at all...
None taken. There is a ton of info out there already, do a search for "puck" in the under the hood section if you are bored. Here is one you might find interesting:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=84819

Old 03-28-2008, 07:05 PM

I don't have THAT clutch but I have a 6 puck and I honestly would not recommend it for daily driving unless you have forced induction. Its really harsh and pretty annoying on a daily basis. If its a track car then its probably ok but if you want something like stock but better I'd look elsewhere
Old 03-28-2008, 07:26 PM

As I said before, it seems the general consensus for clutch setup is ACT HD pressure plate, OEM disk, OEM bearing, and comptech flywheel. Hardtopguy has it here using the ACT flywheel while comptech gets sorted out:
http://www.hardtopguy.com/store/product.ph...34&cat=0&page=1
You can also use AP1 flywheel as discussed before.

I had the ACT XTSS kit on the ~300hp Integra and it was a pain to have to push that clutch in every time (I think my left foot calves are bigger now). It seemed like overkill. Handled the power just fine. I drove Phil's S back when it had the 6 puck and it was a pain in the ass to get going from idle.

So from experience, ACT XT pressure plate = too much pressure. 6puck+ disks = stall.

For a stock powered car, no matter what you use it for, I'd stick with the HTG setup.

Quick Reply: Clutch Replacement Advice