Arizona S2000 Owners Arizona S2000 Owners. s2000arizona.com

Clutch job - How many hours?

Old 06-20-2013, 06:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clutch job - How many hours?

My mechanic is closing the doors on his shop, there goes my $200 clutch replacement :/ so either I do this on the floor, again, or I can try to take it to a place like uFixIt center and try to do it there. I am just curious about how many hours the job should take. Since I already sort of know what's going on, I think I can get it done quicker. Just curious.. or shall I save the money and try to get it done on my own?
Old 06-21-2013, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have a lift, 4 hours is not a problem at all. You can do it without dropping the subframe as well.

I'm pretty sure book time is 6 hours per Honda.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by booost02
If you have a lift, 4 hours is not a problem at all. You can do it without dropping the subframe as well.

How does one get to the bolts on top of the bell housing without dropping the sub frame or removing the motor?

I think book time is much longer then 6 hours. I would say with experience, the right tools, and not rushing the job 5-6 hours is realistic.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by xeuxx
Originally Posted by booost02' timestamp='1371845449' post='22623490

How does one get to the bolts on top of the bell housing without dropping the sub frame or removing the motor?

I think book time is much longer then 6 hours. I would say with experience, the right tools, and not rushing the job 5-6 hours is realistic.
I did it by removing my motor mounts and tilting the engine to the rear.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by alanpikku
Originally Posted by xeuxx' timestamp='1371859040' post='22623936
[quote name='booost02' timestamp='1371845449' post='22623490']

I did it by removing my motor mounts and tilting the engine to the rear.
[/quote]

How to do on a shop lift? I'm guessing jack up the motor somehow and get those mounts out
Old 06-22-2013, 12:00 PM

The motor mounts have some flex in them. You lower the rearward subframe bolts a bit more than the fronts. With the tranny mount out you can tilt the engine considerably. It is pretty tight but it comes out no problem. I always use a breaker bar and a long extension to get the top bolts out.

The first time I did it, i was able to get it done in just over 4 hours and I had to repair the dowel pin holes since the last idiot crushed the pins in place.

I'd say the hardest thing about doing the clutch is getting the starter bold out. I always use a long extension and take that out last so I can leave the tool on the bolt and not have to fight to get it on during assembly. When doing this be careful of the Knock sensor, they are easy to break if you aren't paying attention.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:34 PM

You can do it without dropping the subframe as well.
I think it was this statement that confused everyone. The way I read it was that you didn't even lower the subframe and I was wondering how this was possible, lol.

The motor mounts have some flex in them. You lower the rearward subframe bolts a bit more than the fronts. With the tranny mount out you can tilt the engine considerably. It is pretty tight but it comes out no problem. I always use a breaker bar and a long extension to get the top bolts out.
I think this is pretty much what we all have done.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:35 PM

The first time I did it, i was able to get it done in just over 4 hours and I had to repair the dowel pin holes since the last idiot crushed the pins in place.

I'd say the hardest thing about doing the clutch is getting the starter bold out. I always use a long extension and take that out last so I can leave the tool on the bolt and not have to fight to get it on during assembly. When doing this be careful of the Knock sensor, they are easy to break if you aren't paying attention.
I'm not touching the subframe bolts. I've done it with just removing the engine mounts.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:46 AM

I can see that as being confusing, I should have said removing rather than dropping.

Removing the engine mounts? Howe do you support the engine when the tranny is out? Sounds kind of unsafe although I can see it being easy if it was all properly supported. Would certainly give more room.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:55 PM

I can see that as being confusing, I should have said removing rather than dropping.

Removing the engine mounts? Howe do you support the engine when the tranny is out? Sounds kind of unsafe although I can see it being easy if it was all properly supported. Would certainly give more room.
It is supported.

Quick Reply: Clutch job - How many hours?