Arizona S2000 Owners Arizona S2000 Owners. s2000arizona.com

Axel Nut Tightening

Old 09-10-2012, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol, yes. For $25 I will replace both Axel nuts by the book in the parking lot at the Wednesday meet. That includes the 2 new nuts.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:41 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Sign me up, HWY88. I'm free this Wednesday night, so if I'm over my cold, I'll be there. I'll stay home from the Monday night meet this week because I don't want to pass my bugs on to anyone.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there an updated nut spec to handle the new tq? Will I bust a nut OEM-style using the old ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2012, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by sse2k
Is there an updated nut spec to handle the new tq? Will I bust a nut OEM-style using the old ones?
Nope, same ones. I hate to be responsible for busting a nut at the wrong time so I replace them.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:18 PM

I appreciate all the input. I just manned up and did it myself with an 18in monkey bar. It took some serious smoke. Honda will not perform axel nut tightening/adjustment even with warranty. Bout $120 for labor. I purchased the correct grease which is not DC111 silicon grease, it is called UREA (High Temp) and it is green. Very pricey so I might be able to bring some to you guys at the Wednesday meet which I have no idea the location or the time so that would be helpful information. I feel like the axel nut thing has been blown a bit out of proportion...There is no Service Bulletin put out by Honda...It is a Service News! Which doesn't merrit much affection from the dealers. I believe it is important to address but I feel like re-pinning should be the discussion. When I took my caps off(btw you dont have to remove the tire, just don't go ape on it and you wont beat it up...quick and direct) the axel nut locks were positioned all the way to the left side of the notch which COULD indicate backing off if you are hearing it click back and forth. When you smoke your axel nuts just make certain when you repin it that you do it in a way so that it cannot backoff. It's not going to get any tighter so focus on really pinning the left side of the notch. Oh BTW OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer which means that it is a mockup of the OE (Original Equipment-aka Honda). OEM has been deemed a suitable substitute based on similar and/or exact design characteristics and capabilities but does not mean it is a Genuine Honda Part. So ya ok stepping down from the soap box...someone hook me up with the Wednesday night meet info so I can get to know everyone.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone have a copy of the Honda Service News where this is described?

They shut down their access a while back
Old 09-10-2012, 03:06 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

The Wednesday Night Meet is in its own Topic, so feel free to browse that one. Here is this week's announcement. For Wednesday Night Meets, you need to search for the location near the end of that thread.
Wednesday Night Meet

Posted Yesterday, 08:23 PM
This weeks meet will be at home base, Firehouse / Culvers located on the SW corner of Ray and 101. Usual 7:30 pm, See you there.

Remember we park under the lit and covered spots on the South end of the parking lot.

3245 West Ray Road
Chandler, AZ 85226
Old 09-10-2012, 03:11 PM
3en

Ask and you shall Receive
Axle Pops or Creaks:
’00–02 S2000
On ’00–02 S2000s, if your customer complains of
hearing a single pop or creak from the rear of the
vehicle when changing direction from forward to
backward and vice versa, the problem may be
axle (driveshaft) movement in the rear hub. To
eliminate the noise, replace the spindle nut on the
affected axle. Apply grease to the surface of the
new spindle nut where it contacts the hub. Torque
the new nut to 298 N·m (220 lb-ft), and stake the
nut.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Ah ok, I think I've seen that one.

Billman said he clocks it even farther.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:29 PM

I just called one of my aquantances at Arrowhead Honda to see if I could have access to service news and he said negative ghost rider. I have a printout of the service news for the axel nut torque settings. I can bring to the meet if I knew the details for location and time.

Quick Reply: Axel Nut Tightening