Arizona S2000 Owners Arizona S2000 Owners. s2000arizona.com

Air Horn Update

Old 05-04-2002, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Horn Update

The air horns that we installed on my car on the last tech day were awesome. Very loud, and typically had the dual reaction of getting people out of my way while simultaneously making them pee their pants. (Unfortunately, they sometimes had the same effect on me...)

Last weekend on my way down to Phoenix for the Roosevelt drive, they quit working. Thought I'd just blown another fuse, but that wasn't it.

Took everything apart this morning and found that the hoses and compressor were completely filled with water. So, bought new horns and installed them vertically this time instead of horizontally.

I highly recommend this modification - just make sure the horns are pointed down!
Old 05-04-2002, 02:30 PM
Doc

Dave,

How did they get full of water? condensation? did you hit a big puddle?

that is odd...shoulda thought about that when we put them in....

JJ
Old 05-04-2002, 03:05 PM

They were completely filled - the tubes were full and when I took apart the compressor casing, I dumped about 6 oz. of water out of them. It had to be from washing the car.
Old 05-04-2002, 10:37 PM

Either that or your car had "allergies" ...
Old 05-05-2002, 09:04 AM

You know I bet the fuse did blow, then when you washed the car before you picked me up they filled up is right! But the replacement 20 amp fuse did blow last Saturday.

That stinks - how much were the parts?
Old 05-05-2002, 09:08 AM

I think the fuse blew because the compressor and electric motor were full of water - at least that is my hope.

Just bought another horn kit for $30, but I'll be taking the old one back to Autozone for a refund. I figure I mounted it like the instructions said, but it filled up with water anyway so I should get my $$ back. We'll see if they agree...

The new one had extra air hose, so there are no kinks this time. Also, with the horns pointing down, I was able to mount them so they don't hit anything when I take a bump. No need for any zip ties. Overall a much cleaner installation. Amazing how much easier it is the second time around!

Which begs the question - Who is next and when are we going to do it???
Old 05-05-2002, 09:15 AM

I think my modding is almost done.

I have my full sized aeroscreen, the badges, front grille, hard wired radar detector, homelink system, headrests, new lexan headrest windblockers, upgraded speakers and shiftknob.

I am willing to help out anyone...you know, drink a beer and watch
Old 05-05-2002, 11:26 AM
Doc

Jordan,

when did you get the new headrests? any pics? do they work well to block the backwind??

JJ
Old 05-05-2002, 11:40 AM

I still have Rick's headrests. Now I have the MajorHavoc lexan system. The lexan system fits behind the mesh, inside the headrest.

Just pop off the headrest backing (plastic piece) and then place the thin, clear lexan piece in. Pop the backing back on. NO WIND COMES THROUGH THE MESH. Then I replaced my Rick's headrests into the front and they do not pop out. Tried it out this morning. Works awesome and only $20 too!
Old 05-05-2002, 11:54 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't be surprised if after a few months or a year or so, they quit working again. I've since given up on air horns from years of trying them. Even if you are careful when you wash the car, when you compress air, water falls out of it. Mind you, you guys live in Arizona where the air is very dry so you may be able to go a lot longer before you get water buildup inside the compressor. But I bet you have a lot of dust, right? The oil inside the pump will be a magnet for the dust. It will collect inside the pump and also blow it into the reeds of the horns. Then ................. nothing! It used to be that the instructions for the horn kit would say to run the compressor while spraying in an oil will flush out the grime and keep things working. This was supposed to be done regularly. Can't remember how often but after a while, a person just gets lazy or forgets. Maybe I'm just blowing smoke out my ass and I'm wrong but just my 2 cents from my own experience.

Quick Reply: Air Horn Update