Arizona S2000 Owners Arizona S2000 Owners. s2000arizona.com

60K Service Help

Old 07-20-2012, 09:13 PM

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
Default 60K Service Help

I'm due for a 60K mile service and not sure what that all entails. But I'm cash poor at the moment, out of work, and need to see how much I can do myself or with some help and advice from someone who knows or who's already done this.

First, what all should I have done to the car, what checks, changes, adjustments, etc.? I had MTF and differential fluid at the February Tech Meet changed with Glofer's help, about 5-6,000 miles ago.

I own a set of feeler gauges (straight and bent), a valve adjustment tool, a timing light, and have a few wrenches and sockets, and I just got a big honkin' torque wrench that I don't know if it will be of help. I just changed the oil last weekend, but not any other fluids. I am willing to try the valve adjustment, if needed, but I'd like to do it with someone who has done the work themselves before. My last valve adjustment was on a 1967 VW bug, a long time ago.

Does anyone have experience doing this work and would be willing to lend me a hand?

Thanks,
Mark

OK, I found this posting. Is it accurate?
60,000 mile service
Old 07-20-2012, 09:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This is right out of the owners manual...

60,000 mi/96,000 km/4 yrs Scheduled Maintenance
Recommended service for your 2003 Honda S2000:

Replace engine oil.

Check tire inflation and condition.

Inspect front and rear brakes.

Replace engine oil filter.

Check parking brake adjustment.

Inspect tie rod ends, steering gear box and boots.

Inspect suspension components.

Inspect driveshaft boots.

Inspect brake hoses and lines (including ABS).

Check all fluid levels, condition of fluids and check for leaks.

Inspect exhaust system.

Inspect fuel lines and connections.

Replace air cleaner element.

Replace rear differential fluid.

Replace dust and pollen filter.

Inspect drive belt.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Service, page 5

I'd pick up a service manual if you don't have one already.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-21-2012, 09:20 PM

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

I am good on the oil change. The quick oil drain valve that was put on in February really made the oil and oil filter change easy last week.

The differential fluid was changed in February, That was, guessing, about 5,000 miles ago, so that should be good for now

I'm not sure how to change brake fluid or coolant. Nor do I know how to check the brakes or adjust the parking brake. Are there a "how-to" instructions for do-it-your-selfers?

The air cleaner element seems easy, if that is the pleated paper cone shaped filter inside the front plastic intake box. I'm not sure where the dust and pollen filter is. Is that important when driving top down?

I have a good tire gauge and check air pressure more often than every 7,500 miles. What pressures do you all keep in your tires for daily driving?

If someone can do the valve clearance check with me who has done this before, at least for the first pair or two, I'd appreciate that. I would plan on replacing the cylinder head cover gasket at the time. What do you use to secure the gasket to the cover?

Thanks to you all who are helping me understand this better.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you need help or want a drive way to wrench in let me know.

Sounds like you just need to inspect everything... Perhaps you don't need to do anything at all....

Happy to help you do more if you decide it's needed.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by AZS2KDancer
What do you use to secure the gasket to the cover?
When you pull the valve cover off you'll see a recessed area where the gasket fits. It fits like a glove and just the pressure of the valve cover bolts if torqued properly holds it snug.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These are my thoughts, take them for what they are worth.....Nothing, lol.

Honestly, I've never really followed the whole 30/60/90k service schedule or the 120/150/180/210/240/270k mile service schedule, lol. However, I'm also not suggesting that you neglect your car.

Tires: I vary my pressures depending on what kind of driving I'm doing that specific trip, but you can't go wrong with what Honda recommends. Most newer cars have a sticker in the door jamb telling what pressures they recommend.

Brakes: If they aren't squealing or vibrating, odds are that they are ok. You can take the wheel off and look at the pads without removing them from the caliper to get a rough idea on how much material is left. If you're too lazy to do that or maybe don't have a garage/driveway to do that in, I'm always seeing signs up at those brake places/PepBoys/repair shops saying that they do "free brake inspections" but they are probably going to try and sell you new stuff depending on how gullible they think you are.

Parking brake: I've never adjusted my parking brake. It still seems to work fine after 11 years and 260k miles.

Air filter: Sometimes you can find the K&N washable filters used for pretty cheap, I'm not sure how much OEM ones go for. I think I still have Nik's old air box. Knowing Nik, I'd bet that the filter in there is pretty much brand new. I'll try and check it tomorrow and if it looks good, it's all yours.

Cabin filter: Pop the hood and it's located under the black plastic cover on the passenger side right by the battery. I think that I've only done mine maybe 3 times at the most. I'm still on my original A/C. Here's a link from a guy that actually started making his own. I think Ben said that he had a couple in stock, I'm sure mine is due for a change.

Valve adjustment: I've never done one myself and it doesn't look like much fun. If you can find someone to do it for free, jump on it!

Good luck, I wish I could be of more help.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:28 AM

Well this goes to show even my 12 year old, 52K mileage S2K is due for some maintenance...FML

lol
Old 07-24-2012, 01:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RPG2ach
Well this goes to show even my 12 year old, 52K mileage S2K is due for some maintenance...FML

lol
Lol, it's also due for some driving....J/k.

Quick Reply: 60K Service Help