Mark this thread as Sold

Helpfull hints on selling S2000's on this board

Old 03-15-2003 | 04:40 AM

I am amazed at how people endlessly post S2000's for sale for prices that are just not going to work. A bunch of these are so unrealistic that it is just a total waste of time (to each their own). If you actually want to sell the car you need to price it appropriately.

- '00 S2000's (in any condition, even with zero miles) will not sell for more than about $25k (MAX).... reality says you will get about $23k if you want to sell, and your car has low miles. A 2000 with 30k miles will probably sell for about $22k.

- '01 S2000's - You are really pushing it at $26k, but will more than likely get $24k if you really want to sell..... a 2001 with 25k miles = $23k (roughly).

- 02's are not going to sell for $29k when you can go get a 2003 for $30k!!!!!!

- Don't go out and buy a S2000, then brag about the great deal you got, then attempt to sell it here for $3-4k more than you paid (even if you had some expenses of getting the car). The 2001's are not going to sell for $25k on this board.

- I personally attempted on this board to sell my mint 15k mileage 2001 (all stock) S2000 for $24k, with zero luck. (imagine if I had a 2000 that I was listing for $27k).

I think I got pretty lucky and was offered $23,500 from my Mitsu dealer as trade on the Mitsu Evolution. They apparently will be happy selling it for $24k or so and making just a few $. My dad just traded his 2000 (12.5k miles, totally mint)in and got $22,500 but had no luck selling it at $23,500 first....... so I do have some knowledge about this, before you flame me.

Scot
Old 03-15-2003 | 05:20 AM

People can post whatever prices they want. Who are you Scot to set some arbitrary pricing guidelines?
Whether or not they sell the car is mute. Your attempt to help "educate" S2000 owners on the value of their own automobile comes across as incredibly arrogant. The trade-in value you received is based, in no small part, to your location. Other parameters also influence a car's worth. You attempt to assign a value based singularly on model year but since you have no idea from one car to the next what has been done to it, or how it was cared for, etc...your assignment of worth is nothing more than opinion. And why is this thead in the "for sale" forum anyway? Call it a stretch, but what you're "selling" I ain't "buying." What's next? "Helpful hints" on how Mugen can sell more of their $1200 intakes? Since when did it become wrong to ask for as much as you think you can get for something, be it an automobile or a toaster. In the end, a car's worth is determined by the buyer, not the seller.
Old 03-15-2003 | 06:27 AM

Moot.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Russ
Whether or not they sell the car is[B] mute.
Old 03-15-2003 | 06:34 AM

O ya, it is painful for me to watch people endlessly bump their posts and wonder why the car is not selling.... BECAUSE THEY/ YOU ARE ASKING TOO MUCH.

I pay attention, (you're so poor, you can't even pay attention) apparently others do not. People look stupid (in my opinion) asking way too much, then bumping, then bumping, then bumping, then bumping.... it is obvious why the car is not selling to me......

Just my opinion....thought I would voice it..... in just one more effort to piss people off (actually to point out the obvious).

Scot
Old 03-15-2003 | 07:36 AM

Noted, but do you go into Circuit City and tell them they would probably sell more televisions if they dropped their prices? Do you barter for milk at the grocery store? People usually set their prices (not just on cars but on most items in here) based on what they would LIKE to get for the car and rarely what they THINK they will get. As I said, most folks set prices regionally so what might sell for less in Florida would sell for more in Maine. Someone with a mint condition white S2000 SHOULD ask for more than another same year/same mileage car in silverstone. Way too many parameters to simply base price on model year alone. How many white/blue S2000's have you seen? Nothing is more irritating (though you apparently might have found something) than to read a post of someone selling something followed by a quick retort, "dude, you're asking way too much, I can get it for $5 less online," etc. As the saying goes, "if you can find it cheaper somewhere else, buy it."
Your thread will be buried in two days amongst the archives so most folks who are buying won't be looking for your assistance in valuing their car, rather kbb.com or more accurately, edmunds.com
Besides, selling S2000's in here is like offering ice to an eskimo. I'm not sure there have been many sold here but there have been many advertised here. Anyone looking to buy usually goes to eBAY first because they know enthusiasts always start high and dealerships are usually more prone to discount heavy.
Old 03-15-2003 | 08:48 AM

Once again we enter Scot onto the scene. That is the ALL knowing Scot.. Scot, first you rip on me for trying to sell my cars on this board and now you rip on everyone it seems. These folk are just trying to move a product. You both have great and valuable points but it just seems like your life is spent telling people how wrong and stupid they are.. Is this really the way to make friends with people? I certainly hope you don't show your face at an S2000 rally, as a bunch of these people here will probably force you to leave. Life is better spent trying to edify people and not tear them down all of the time. Sure, you are entitled to your opinion but I am sure that if enough pepole petition together that we can get you removed from this board and send you over to the EVO boards to cause trouble...
Old 03-15-2003 | 08:52 AM

Circuit city and best buy already have their prices down low. I would not go to "Joes appliance" and buy a $400 tv if I could buy the exact same tv for $300 from another store.

the different region thing has pretty much lost it's differences with so many used S2000's around. People in So-cal seem to have trouble selling '01's for $25k (with 10k miles on them), the same as people in the northeast, etc....

The shear fact that there are a thousand+ used S2000's sale now has driven the price down everywhere. Even on ebay most do not sell ("reserve not met"), but the bidding does not go much higher in florida than in New Hampshire.

Enough of that. I was just pointing out that it is senseless to post a 2000 S2000 with 40k miles for $27,500 unless you find a really stupid buyer. A smart buyer would find the same car for $22k, or buy a nice 2002 for $26k instead.

and yes, I agree...selling a car here is next to impossible since most people already have one.

- Scot
Old 03-15-2003 | 08:56 AM

I did go to the first Ashville event 2 years ago. I didn't get kicked out, but I did bride everyone with some fine beer.

I have been here since the very first day, so I don't think anyone will kick me out (i may be wrong).

My post was not directed at any one person. I am not insulting anyone. Merely pointing out that (in my opinion) it is a waste of time and space to post cars at outrageous prices.

I stuck up for the guy selling the 01 with 3k miles saying he would get $24-25k (roughly), not $22k.

O well..... Strike will probably lock this thread soon... which at this point, maybe that is what it needs.

Scot

Originally posted by tebbnsxr
Once again we enter Scot onto the scene. That is the ALL knowing Scot.. Scot, first you rip on me for trying to sell my cars on this board and now you rip on everyone it seems. These folk are just trying to move a product. You both have great and valuable points but it just seems like your life is spent telling people how wrong and stupid they are.. Is this really the way to make friends with people? I certainly hope you don't show your face at an S2000 rally, as a bunch of these people here will probably force you to leave. Life is better spent trying to edify people and not tear them down all of the time. Sure, you are entitled to your opinion but I am sure that if enough pepole petition together that we can get you removed from this board and send you over to the EVO boards to cause trouble...
I guess it all boils down to.... I am a realist... I don't try to rip people, I don't try to inflate the value of what I have. I know it's value and if I sell something I sell it rather quickly because I am well aware of it's worth. (except for these damned Spoon wheels.... that no one seems to want).

EDIT - (so it does not push this goofy thread back to the top) - I am right about the S2000 pricing.....as I was about used NSX pricing back 4 months ago. It is ok to admit that I do know something (i am
Old 03-15-2003 | 01:11 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Scot
[B]My post was not directed at any one person.
Old 03-15-2003 | 01:23 PM

I did mention those stupid wheels in a post listed above. Everyone agrees that they are priced very cheaply, but for whatever reason, no one wants to buy them right now. If I posted them at near new price, that would be different.

To buy a car for $22k, brag endlessly about what a deal, have title problems, then attempt to sell it for $26k all within a month, and all posted on this board is just plain stupid. At the worst, you should have kept your pie hole shut about the deal you got and the title problems, but you still wouldn't get the $26k that you were originally asking! Plus you were begging for a cheap car forever to make things worse..... beg, beg, beg... get car, and try to make $. Glad I attempted to help you find a cheap car!

So far I have not been proven to be out of line on this... no one has stepped up and said..."i recently sold my car '00 with 25k miles on it for $27,500."

Jerky Scot (At least I know I am a jerk).

[QUOTE]Originally posted by munckee
[B]

I would also like to point out that you have posted twice at the same price, and bumped the thread up numerous times, to sell a set of wheels.

Quick Reply: Helpfull hints on selling S2000's on this board