Announcements Official Site Related Announcements and News

Post Upgrade issues

Old 03-03-2011, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by retvet
I'm sorry but there are no reasons this whole site is so poorly constructed now. These problems are a result of POOR planning, POOR testing and PISS POOR management. I tried to list some items for sale today. What a nightmare. Tried to reply to queries--an even larger nightmare. I respond to hyperlinks in email notifications of a query, and this site sends me to a page that says I am not authorized personal messages. I spent over four hours trying to figure this thing out today. AND then some BS moderator sends me a message saying I need to include my locations. DAMN, after all the crap on this site, now, I forgot to do that.

I have a MS in CS Management. If I had ever done this kind of job introducing a new system, I would have been looking for a new job. I can't believe I have paid money for this!
Dude, c'mon... The site has been running relatively problem free for more than a decade and you can't handle a week of downtime? You're just trying to sell a few car parts. It's not like S2Ki is your one and only source for a new liver or something.

Given your MS in CS, I would expect you to know that 90% of corporate projects fail due to poor planning, poor strategy, poor resources, or poor companies with no money. Hell, our Federal and State governments are bleeding too. Long story short...if you have an MS in CS, you're old enough to develop some patience along with having a little common sense about software updates and how they go about.

Originally Posted by Joeh
I think a signature length limit (including bb code) has been introduced which has trimmed the code in your signature hence why the mess ! - Maybe another thing cthree has to look at.

Quite disappointed about the PM's, failed promises twice now. I need to get details of people who owe me money and now I'm a week behind..

I suspect that he is not doing the work himself as its not exactly a difficult task but the speed that things are changing is as if they are not happening at all, EVERYTHING should have been ironed out within a few hours of going live, and the fact that he wants to wipe out current PM's is ridiculous. I don't suppose you've heard of the INSERT query? Primary Keys in IPB are integers and auto increment themselves.

cthree I support your cause but the speed of the work is absolutely no good, if my staff worked like this they would be made redundant.

It would have taken no time to restore PM's, adverts, set the global settings to similar ones as before.. You should already be making a new theme by now, and possibly finishing it - since you've already appointed speed issues to the offending company.

You seriously need to get on with it because its becoming a huge disappointment.
I understand that you (and others) rely on the site for a source of income, but good business people have backup plans of their own for these types of situations. I think it's possible that S2Ki isn't solely responsible for your woes. One might go so far as to say that your woes "are a result of POOR planning, POOR testing and PISS POOR management."(see quote from retvet) I mean, last I checked, Yahoo Mail, Gmail, Hotmail, and various other channels are still up. My phone works too, and I assume yours isn't off the grid.

I can't get over what criminal fncking whiners some of you are. Get over yourselves and your $20-$50 contribution to the site. The world is bigger than your "Exhaust For Sale."
Old 03-03-2011, 01:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Rahul, I am getting the idea that you're one of those people who reads the last 2 posts of a thread and then makes his reply, ignorance and arrogance is a plus term used for such people. How about you go back and see the supportive action that I've used (in this thread and others, and replying to peoples statuses) to encourage others and support the cause of the upgrade and to give others advise how to use the new features and to calm and reassure those who were unhappy?

Now my complaint is about the speed these things are being done. I have ran equivalent size communities and I know how quick you can implement changes once live again. The past 2 days have seen near 0 change.

And yes we have emails and no it is not my source of income.

Firstly you're unaware why I need to access the PM's. I have the phone numbers in there from the said members and I would like to give them a call. S2Ki's forum doesn't give you email addresses of members does it? No I didn't think so. I think that one is a logical one by itself.

If you would like to talk blindly then you have no basis for your argument, seeing that you've been a member for just over 10 years shows that intelligence doesn't grow with experience.

Why not go and post on another thread because you're just wasting your time and I'm bored of talking with kids.

P.S. In regard to those who use it as a source of income; this site has commercial traders registered and S2Ki are under contract as per paid agreement. Loss of earnings caused by negligence are the responsibility of the forum and if anyone takes legal action they have a basis of claim. So not only is your logic invalid, the law also nullifies your argument.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:33 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,140 Likes on 771 Posts

Originally Posted by rahul
Given your MS in CS, I would expect you to know that 90% of corporate projects fail due to poor planning, poor strategy, poor resources, or poor companies with no money. Hell, our Federal and State governments are bleeding too. Long story short...if you have an MS in CS, you're old enough to develop some patience along with having a little common sense about software updates and how they go about.
Yes and when there is poor planning, poor strategy, poor resources or a poor company, failures like this revert to a previous working version, the project management team is fired, reassigned or moved to something where they can't screw up again.What the Federal government has to do with this upgrade is totally extraneous and irrelevant. And if he has a MS in CS he also knows that there comes a time in every project where you balance the cost of continuing with a failing project against the cost of reverting to a previous working version and has sense enough to make the correct decision.
I understand that you (and others) rely on the site for a source of income, but good business people have backup plans of their own for these types of situations. I think it's possible that S2Ki isn't solely responsible for your woes. One might go so far as to say that your woes "are a result of POOR planning, POOR testing and PISS POOR management."(see quote from retvet) I mean, last I checked, Yahoo Mail, Gmail, Hotmail, and various other channels are still up. My phone works too, and I assume yours isn't off the grid.
Again a irrelevant and specious argument. Whether or not there is a business back-up plan in place, there is a level of expectation that has been set. I see from your statement you're a business planner. I would like to know how you deduced that "your woes "are a result of POOR planning, POOR testing and PISS POOR management", unless you're talking about the current state of what seems to be a rather ungainly upgrade. I'm happy your phone works, I'd suggest that you get with the OP and get a phone list of all of his customers and be prepared to start calling them to find out if they have orders that need to be filled.

I can't get over what criminal fncking whiners some of you are. Get over yourselves and your $20-$50 contribution to the site. The world is bigger than your "Exhaust For Sale."
It's good to see that the concept of customer service is alive and well. After all, it's only $20 or $50 contributions. Of course if 80% of the people who made those contributions decide that "fricking whining" is no longer worth the effort, then the "whining" will cease because there will be nobody to whine.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:59 AM

Rahul, I am getting the idea that you're one of those people who reads the last 2 posts of a thread and then makes his reply, ignorance and arrogance is a plus term used for such people. How about you go back and see the supportive action that I've used (in this thread and others, and replying to peoples statuses) to encourage others and support the cause of the upgrade and to give others advise how to use the new features and to calm and reassure those who were unhappy?

Now my complaint is about the speed these things are being done. I have ran equivalent size communities and I know how quick you can implement changes once live again. The past 2 days have seen near 0 change.

And yes we have emails and no it is not my source of income.

Firstly you're unaware why I need to access the PM's. I have the phone numbers in there from the said members and I would like to give them a call. S2Ki's forum doesn't give you email addresses of members does it? No I didn't think so. I think that one is a logical one by itself.

If you would like to talk blindly then you have no basis for your argument, seeing that you've been a member for just over 10 years shows that intelligence doesn't grow with experience.

Why not go and post on another thread because you're just wasting your time and I'm bored of talking with kids.

P.S. In regard to those who use it as a source of income; this site has commercial traders registered and S2Ki are under contract as per paid agreement. Loss of earnings caused by negligence are the responsibility of the forum and if anyone takes legal action they have a basis of claim. So not only is your logic invalid, the law also nullifies your argument.
I'm not speaking blindly, and I read some of your posts in this thread and others. The upgrade went up fully 3 days ago. If these problems persist in a week or two, then fine, throw a fit. But odds are, everyone working on these issues have other things on their plate.

As for your issues regarding phone numbers in PMs and S2KI not providing email addresses... I'm sorry, but I think you're a fool. If the phone numbers were that important to you, you could have stored them elsewhere, especially knowing that the site was going through an upgrade over the weekend. I've done my fair share of enterprise wide deployments of OS upgrades, server migrations, ERP implementations, and the like. When we know users might be impacted negatively, we urge them to make their own backup of critical data for offline use. This "urge" is to prevent people's gripes when things like this occur. If you didn't do that, despite the fact that you've run sites like this before, then again, you're a fool. And for the record, folks I PM on this site, I sometimes share my email address with. I assumed that since you're a Keyboard Commando, you might have done the same.

As for the contracts with vendors and their loss of income, I'm sure the Owners/Moderators of this site considered that prior to the upgrade. If required, I'm sure they'll also compensate said vendors appropriately to ensure everyone is satisfied. The legal ramifications would only occur if S2KI somehow ignored the concerns of its partnerships. In 10 years, I have not seen those running the site come into great legal battles for this, that, or anything else.

Bottom line, you need to ask yourself a very simple question.

Has anything I have done made this situation better?

If the answer to your question is a deafening "NO," well then relax a little. Go have a Coke and a smile. Revisit the issues later after some real time has passed. And remember... It's a car forum. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by kgf3076
Yes and when there is poor planning, poor strategy, poor resources or a poor company, failures like this revert to a previous working version, the project management team is fired, reassigned or moved to something where they can't screw up again.What the Federal government has to do with this upgrade is totally extraneous and irrelevant. And if he has a MS in CS he also knows that there comes a time in every project where you balance the cost of continuing with a failing project against the cost of reverting to a previous working version and has sense enough to make the correct decision.
The upgrade was planned for sometime. cthree made it clear that he knew some issues were going to be there. He and others made a judgment call on when/how to perform the upgrade and now they are dealing with the issues the best they can. The government comparison was to illustrate that no matter what level of planning is done, sometimes shit just doesn't go as expected. If you cannot read and infer that, then you're an idiot. That's not my problem.

Reverting to the previous version may ultimately be the decision they take. But if and when that happens, it won't be because you said so sometime in Q1 2011. Like I said above, they're working on things. If they reach an impasse and realize that it's going to take more time and reverting is the best approach, they'll do that.

Again a irrelevant and specious argument. Whether or not there is a business back-up plan in place, there is a level of expectation that has been set. I see from your statement you're a business planner. I would like to know how you deduced that "your woes "are a result of POOR planning, POOR testing and PISS POOR management", unless you're talking about the current state of what seems to be a rather ungainly upgrade. I'm happy your phone works, I'd suggest that you get with the OP and get a phone list of all of his customers and be prepared to start calling them to find out if they have orders that need to be filled.
Service Level Agreements are written and signed for a reason. Last I checked, my $20-$50 didn't come with an SLA. If S2KI partners take up issue with the downtime, they'll take it up with those running S2KI and the parties involved will address the issue. The OP simply said, "I tried to list some items for sale today." That doesn't exactly sound like mission critical anything to me. I could be wrong, and if I am, retvet will likely take it up with S2KI when he can. If an SLA is in place, then they'll likely agree to some set of terms based on the SLA. And if S2KI is his ONLY avenue for selling to and reaching his customers, perhaps it's time he started thinking about expanding on that a bit. He's not selling hot dogs on the corner, he's selling on the internet. It's common sense to consider having more than one location/method for your customers to reach you.

It's good to see that the concept of customer service is alive and well. After all, it's only $20 or $50 contributions. Of course if 80% of the people who made those contributions decide that "fricking whining" is no longer worth the effort, then the "whining" will cease because there will be nobody to whine.
Good customer service is important to everyone. But that doesn't mean that customers should all go flailing about like a bunch of retarded monkeys if something doesn't go as planned. You say your piece and await a response and see if it meets your expectations. For example, I recently had a dry cleaner ruin a couple of my sweaters. They were old anyway, and I thought it might have been a one time occurrence since I've been using them for 10+ years, so I let it go. I replaced my sweaters and took the new ones in for cleaning. Unfortunately for me, the new ones were ruined too. I didn't storm the castle with flaming torches. I went back, calmly explained my gripe and they told me to buy new clothes and bring in the receipt. Two days later, I had a check for all the new clothes I had to buy. Problem solved, and Frankenstein got to keep his castle this time. That's called being reasonable.

I said it above, and I'll repeat it again...

If the answer to your question is a deafening "NO," well then relax a little. Go have a Coke and a smile. Revisit the issues later after some real time has passed. And remember... It's a car forum. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:29 AM

I'm not speaking blindly, and I read some of your posts in this thread and others. The upgrade went up fully 3 days ago. If these problems persist in a week or two, then fine, throw a fit. Odds are, everyone working on these issues have other things on their plate.

As for your issues regarding phone numbers in PMs and S2KI not providing email addresses... I'm sorry, but I think you're a fool. If the phone numbers were that important to you, you could have stored them elsewhere, especially knowing that the site was going through an upgrade over the weekend. I've done my fair share of enterprise wide deployments of OS upgrades, server migrations, ERP implementations, and the like. When we know users might be impacted negatively, we urge them to make their own backup of critical data for offline use. This "urge" is to prevent people's gripes when things like this occur. If you didn't do that, despite the fact that you've run sites like this before, then again, you're a fool. And for the record, folks I PM on this site, I sometimes share my email address with. I assumed that since you're a Keyboard Commando, you might have done the same.

As for the contracts with vendors and their loss of income, I'm sure the Owners/Moderators of this site considered that prior to the upgrade. If required, I'm sure they'll also compensate said vendors appropriately to ensure everyone is satisfied. The legal ramifications would only occur if S2KI somehow ignored the concerns of its partnerships. In 10 years, I have not seen those running to site come into great legal battles for this, that, or anything else.

Firstly, if someone owes you money you have to contact them, this is unfortunately the way the world goes around. Giving them my email address is as if I sent a blank PM (great advise!). I don't know what side of the world you're from but I bet it has clouds made of candyfloss.

I don't suppose that you realise that your method is incorrect for your supposed "implementations". If you were going to have a negative impact and you're aware of it then you should really be questioning your skillset/abilities. I've done multi-national - multi-company cross platform integrations and upgrades of Microsoft Dynamics NAV, AX and GP and as I am writing this email I'm just reconfiguring and deploying multi region replication on a NAV 09 R2 setup for a european monopolised company. If you're a professional you don't make mistakes. The fact that this upgrade was done across different servers shows that it could have been done with minimal downtime. I would have written a routine to maintain replication between the two servers and different database structures so I could implement with 0 downtime, just switch-over and DNS TTL... alternatively work from a main backup (and keep incrementaional logs of changes since backup taken), then when about to go live - disable access to the forums. Then all I'd need to do is convert the logs into the correct mapped structure then apply it onto the new database, so not much data to process..

The point of my initial message was to point out a lack of activity; the issue is that nothing is progressing.. proving the whole issue has really been put on hold for the time being. I've seen communities of a few thousand strong (active, 100k's registered) drop to a handful of people active within weeks when things like this happen.

Rahul I think its about time you stop going on the offensive because you're just going to embarrass yourself.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:37 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

is there anyway to arrange my contents in chronological order? It's super hard to read through the threads
Old 03-03-2011, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by boosted180sx

is there anyway to arrange my contents in chronological order? It's super hard to read through the threads
Unfortunately its currently only listed by activity and there isn't a way to change it..

I'll look and see if there is an addon that cThree can use and will inform him if so.

Joeh
Old 03-03-2011, 02:44 AM

Firstly, if someone owes you money, you have to contact them, this is unfortunately the way the world goes around. Giving them my email address is as if I sent a blank PM (great advise!). I don't know what side of the world you're from but I bet it has clouds made of candyfloss.

I don't suppose that you realise that your method is incorrect for your supposed "implementations". If you were going to have a negative impact and you're aware of it then you should really be questioning your skillset/abilities. I've done multi-national - multi-company cross platform integrations and upgrades of Microsoft Dynamics NAV, AX and GP and as I am writing this email I'm just reconfiguring and deploying multi region replication on a NAV 09 R2 setup for a european monopolised company. If you're a professional you don't make mistakes. The fact that this upgrade was done across different servers shows that it could have been done with minimal downtime or I would have written a routine to maintain replication between the two servers and different database structures (or work from a main backup (and keep incrementaional logs of changes since backup taken), then when about to go live - disable access to the forums. Then all I'd need to do is apply the logs onto the new database, so not much data to process.. so I could implement with minimal downtime, just switch-over and DNS TTL.

The point of my initial message was to point out a lack of activity; the issue that nothing is progressing proving the whole thing has been put on hold for the time being. I've seen communities of a few thousand strong drop to a handful of people active within weeks when things like this happen.

Rahul I think its about time you stop going on the offensive because you're just going to embarrass yourself.
Your reading comprehension skills suck. I didn't tell you to give your email address to people that owe you money. I merely stated that I have exchanged email addresses with folks and that is one way of contacting them. I did say you're a fool for not storing phone numbers of people who owe you money in more than one place.

I don't plan for mistakes at work, but shit happens. I just try to have all possible bases covered so I'm not causing any delays in business running as it should.

Perhaps your methodology is better, but your whining isn't helping, is it? And the community will survive a couple weeks of slow response, even if you think the world's future hinges on this upgrade.

I've also taken part in global deployments in IT. I'm happy that we both have jobs. Yay us.

I understand what your original gripe was. Which is why I asked you whether you're making things better with all your whining. You didn't answer that part.

Lastly, I'm not embarrassed myself. I'm trying to be reasonable in a tough situation for all the users. If anything, I'm ashamed that educated, professional adults don't have the maturity to be patient.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:07 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,972 Likes on 1,758 Posts

I have to say that Joeh has been very helpful to me (and others I'm sure) with trying to navigate the new system. I'm getting the hang of it now, and I'm a pretty old dog. FTR, I'm in the computer biz myself (computer security these days), and know quite a bit about developing and implementing systems. Implementation of new/updated systems never goes as planned. I think some more patience is called for here. I understand people are frustrated, but all this arguing isn't buying us anything. Stick to the specific issues you have, so Erik can make note and take action.

Quick Reply: Post Upgrade issues