Announcements Official Site Related Announcements and News

Post Upgrade issues

Old 03-04-2011, 12:41 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

That's some jump in versions! It's no wonder you have ongoing issues.

I didn't expect you'd be able to 'flick a switch' almost two decades working in IT has taught me that. Once you start something, you have no choice but to start fixing it bit by bit - i have an exchange migration coming up that i'm really not looking forward to for much the same reasons.

I was wondering if there were a number of known big issues as well as the other ones you'll find as you go although i'm also interested in what you find and how you fix it as you fix it
Old 03-04-2011, 12:48 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cthree
Items marked Sent: are what was in your sent folder.
I don't think so. Everything marked "Sent:" in my messenger is a message sent by someone else TO me. Nothing that I have sent is there, marked "Sent:" or otherwise.

I'm pretty sure that's what others were reporting too. Is there anyone who actually still has their sent messages? Chime in.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:14 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Everything which was MyS2K is now in your customizable profile which you can get to by clicking your name top right. I don't know where it is exactly, I haven't had time to look at the new site yet or play with any of the newer things.
I want to be clear that tone doesn't often come across as intended in the written word. So I am asking, without any sarcasm or bitterness, but out of general curiosity:

Did you not test out these features before deciding to go with this software? I honestly don't understand how someone can decide to implement software they haven't tried. To reuse your analogy from above, I wouldn't buy a car without at LEAST a test drive.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

How do you post images ??? I used the standard [IMG] [/IMG] and I get a statement that I cannot used that image extension on the board, if I use the "image" button it is just lower case version of the tags [img] [/img] but I get the same error...

Please tell me I didn't spend time creating a DIY that I can't post!
Old 03-04-2011, 05:49 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 4,038 Likes on 2,683 Posts

Ok a technical issue to add to the honey-do list.
Go to first unread post button doesn't seem to actually index
into thread but always just goes to original post
or will get stuck on an interim post but doesn't ever get by it.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cthree: Keep up the good work. Performance is much improved compared to earlier in the week. Obviously you won't be able to keep everyone happy because some are just resistant to change and will b***h regardless. Keep doing what you're doing and let the whiners do what they do best.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had 8 years to tune the old software as we grew and demanded more from it.

This is brand new software we have no experience with and it includes a lot more functionality we've only started to explore. All that extra weight is going to take more horsepower to move and it needs to be tuned to get the most out of.

It is no different than buying a new car which has lots of potential but somehow being shocked that your lap times have actually gotten worse the first time you take it out on the track. People have somewhat unrealistic expectations of what to expect from this out of the box. The site will be slower until we can make it faster and that takes work and time. It is already faster than it was on Tuesday and it will continue to get faster as I continue to look for bottlenecks and identify problem areas and improve them to deliver more in less time.

There isn't going to be a declaration that ok, I unclogged the pipe and everything is perfect now. It is something that needs to be chipped away one slow database query and one tight recursive loop at a time. There is a ton that can be done but I have very little experience with the code in this release (a lot has changed in 8 years) to I basically have to start from zero like a complete noob. That only serves to make the process of tuning it that much more difficult.

We went from forums 1.3.x to 3.1.x and from gallery 1.0.0 to 3.2.2 and for gallery we still have one more step to go as version 4.0.0 was released today and we will be upgrading to 4.0.1 when it comes out in the next week or two. That is a huge jump of many steps. Nothing is the same anymore.

Speed is not a configuration option I can simply switch on. All I can say is expect it to get faster over time.
getting faster... while its very different, change can be good.. The old site was perfectly functional but dated in design. I'm a designer so if you guys need some help or suggestions I have 10 years experience behind me.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:27 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Some of the photos are missing, particularly photos out of my gallery and some of the DIY that use photos hosted on here.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:06 AM

Received 169 Likes on 150 Posts

Its probably on your list....

And probably low priority...

But will you be changing the flood control back to the old settings? 30 seconds between posts is too long!

Thanks,

ps... site is picking up speed every day.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:42 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

It's just taken a massive leap in speed for me - approaching what i'd call normal web speed

Quick Reply: Post Upgrade issues