Allegheny S2000 Owners Club Western PA including, Pittsburgh, Erie, Western Maryland, Northern West Virginia, and Eastern Ohio

Sorry it's been a while

Old 08-22-2004, 05:45 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sorry it's been a while

Hi everyone,

Sorry it's been a while since I've posted here. Unfortunately, I've been without my S for three weeks now. I was on the way back form the South East Mega Meet when Rhaeann and I were in an accident. We were 30 minutes away from home driving in the rain when I hydroplaned and spun the S into a guard rail. I had the car on cruise control when I hit a puddle, and the back end let loose. I was talking to a guy that stop to see if we were ok, and he says that he never drives on the inside lane of 70 because it always holds more water and is prone to hydroplane.

Good news is that both Rhaeann and I walk away without any bumps, bruises, cuts or soreness. The car did a great job protecting us; however, the S did take a lot of damage. The good news is that they are going to fix it. Most of the damage was to the drivers front and rear fender, along with front and rear bumper. They started the rebuild process last week. I will keep everyone posted. Once I'm back up and running let's try and get together.

Later,
Jim
Old 08-23-2004, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMG.....that's TERRIBLE!!! I'm so glad that you both are okay. That must have been soooo scary. And now for my lecture.......I just read a couple weeks ago, and past it on to my daughter.....to NEVER use cruise control in the rain. If your wheels leave the road, like hydroplaning for example, they don't know it and keep spinning. Bad Jim!

With all the work you've done with your car, it's really great that they will be able to fix it. Hopefully we'll see you real soon. We just got back from Nashville yesterday taking Chelsea back to school so now I'm looking forward to Fall Colors. I haven't even registered yet!!! Guess I'll get to that this week. Paul and I keep discussing whether or not to volunteer to be a leader. Hope he has enough. The problem is that Paul wouldn't mind leading...but that means he'll drive the whole ride and I won't get a chance to drive And after last year after my little horse incident, I'm looking forward to it, and am not confortable leading. Besides....I think (and probably Rick would agree) that a group should have the same leader through the entire ride.

Take care and we hope to see you and Rhaeann real soon.

Anita
Old 08-23-2004, 11:08 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 992 Likes on 512 Posts

Jim,

That sucks! Glad to hear everyone is OK. Hopefully all the work will be finished by FC. See you in 8 + weeks.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:50 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Anita Parker,Aug 23 2004, 01:19 PM
OMG.....that's TERRIBLE!!! I'm so glad that you both are okay. That must have been soooo scary. And now for my lecture.......I just read a couple weeks ago, and past it on to my daughter.....to NEVER use cruise control in the rain. If your wheels leave the road, like hydroplaning for example, they don't know it and keep spinning. Bad Jim!
Wow I never heard that before. I will never do it again.

Anita,
I think we will be ok with group leaders, So why don't you and Paul plan on joining my group. I will be leading a spirited touring group. For those people who want to drive a little quicker than the normal touring group.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:51 PM
Former Moderator

Update
Good news! I stopped by the bodyshop today to check on the progress. I was real please with what I saw. They have removed the front bumper, lights and fender, and underneath there was no bent metal at all. Also, they ordered the entire trunk and supports. Once they got everything off the back they determined that the tool well was bent by the exhaust and not a side impact, thus they will only need to replace the tool well. So all they need to do now is the rear quarter pannel. They may have this done by the end of the week. I will head out on Friday to check the progress.

Old 08-24-2004, 10:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow. I felt bad when you told me about it. The pictures make it worse!

I'm glad that you guys are OK and that the car rebuild seems to be going well. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help, ok?

Phil.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<Wow I never heard that before. I will never do it again.

Anita,
I think we will be ok with group leaders, So why don't you and Paul plan on joining my group. I will be leading a spirited touring group. For those people who want to drive a little quicker than the normal touring group.>

Yep...as a matter of fact, when the tires leave the road, the wheels even turn faster, so once the hit the road again, your toast! Sounds like a plan to join your group. Do I have to make a special request, or can you do it for me?

Anita
Old 08-25-2004, 02:16 AM
Former Moderator

Anita,

I will be making a post in the FC forum about my group. I will let you know when I make the post and you can reply to the post that you want to be in my group and I will coordinate it with Sharon Loving to make sure you will be in my group.

Jim
Old 08-29-2004, 03:59 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Heyitsgary,Aug 23 2004, 03:08 PM
Jim,

That sucks! Glad to hear everyone is OK. Hopefully all the work will be finished by FC. See you in 8 + weeks.
Cars can be replaced, but people can't!
Old 08-29-2004, 04:04 AM
Former Moderator

Update

I received a call from the bodyshop that they wanted be to come out and check the car before they went any further. They had all the parts test fitted on the car. I also had a chance to meet the guy doing the body work, and I'm very impressed with his work, and his knowledge. Here are the latest picture updates. I'm hoping to have my S back in two weeks if we continue at this rate. I'll keep this thread posted.

Quick Reply: Sorry it's been a while