Allegheny S2000 Owners Club Western PA including, Pittsburgh, Erie, Western Maryland, Northern West Virginia, and Eastern Ohio

Lotus Elise and Corvette Review from S2000 owner

Old 04-11-2009, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys. Saw this from the main pages and had to post to give props to the OP.

I'm a huge Lotus fan, but I'd probably never want to take the debt of buying one. That was a great write up. Reviews by regular joes are always more realistic.

Thanks for sharing. This would go well in Car Talk IMHO.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:35 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

I have an '08 Vette and had an '05 S2000. The '08 Vette is the one to get if you want to go the Vette direction. New LS3 motor, improved steering, improved interior (specifically center console), new manual transmission or greatly improved automatic transmission, etc. You can get used ones for mid 30's or below if you look around a lot. Z51 package is the only package you really need, everything else is gravy. I did get the 2LT package for the side airbags as I didn't want to be a cheap bastard and end up hurting/killing myself or passenger in a side impact collision, plus the sports seats are much nicer than the base seats (also included in 2LT package).

The front end scraping is the front air dam that is a $20 replacement piece of plastic. Nothing to worry about at all.

Nice write-up by the way!!!
Old 09-14-2009, 06:50 AM

lay off the bacon sandwiches and I'm sure you won't need to have a removeable steering wheel All jokes aside, great write-up.

I still lust after Elise though. At 155lb wet (5'9"), I should be able to crawl out w/ a spot of dignity intact.

But yeah, the S is such a marvelous machine, even to this day.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:54 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

like you I rented a hertz vette with the ls3. It was a pretty fun car to drive but the auto drove me nuts. Also you have to drive the car at 10% anything more and you may go to jail One think I noticed with the vette is that it is huge compared to the s2k, however once you are in it and moving it doesn't feel that big. The one thing I hated not sure if it was that car or all vettes, was the engine sound that sounds like a old pick up truck when idling or just cruising. Once the exhaust opened up though pure heaven.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:09 PM

nice write-up steel! i can't believe you fit into that elise bro!!! they are way tighter than the S2k.....the vette is more your style.

I have looked into exotic rentals as well with the LP640 and F430 and like you said above you are taking a huge chance with makeing sure it remains flawless....my insurance company was not cooperating with me if anything happens and that is why i have backed out as well.....i don't really care as much what happens to my viper....its not flawless as i have put over 20k miles on it already....its just too big of chance to take.

Did you come home with some winnings from the casio???
Old 09-14-2009, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by SteelCityS2,Apr 9 2009, 06:17 PM
So has anyone driven a 2008 plus vette to tell me if the steering feels any better than the 2005 i drove. It felt like it was connected to the steering rack with "hot magma" (doctor evil voice)
It can't be more numb than the S2000 steering.

Either way I don't think people who buy Corvettes pay a lot of attention to steering feel
Old 09-15-2009, 06:00 AM

s2000 steering is numb? Never heard that before. Maybe you should post that in "Things people have said about your s2000" in s2000 talk.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by bc02,Sep 14 2009, 09:09 PM
nice write-up steel! i can't believe you fit into that elise bro!!! they are way tighter than the S2k.....the vette is more your style.

I have looked into exotic rentals as well with the LP640 and F430 and like you said above you are taking a huge chance with makeing sure it remains flawless....my insurance company was not cooperating with me if anything happens and that is why i have backed out as well.....i don't really care as much what happens to my viper....its not flawless as i have put over 20k miles on it already....its just too big of chance to take.

LOL - I love it. I love the SRT10. How do you like it compared to your SC'd S2000? I'll have one... one day...
Old 09-15-2009, 12:36 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bc02,Sep 14 2009, 09:09 PM

Actually the Elise is MORE roomy than the S2000 once you get in.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:11 PM

Cosmos -

I agree that the elise once your are in feels roomier than the s2000, it might be because it lacks such things as carpet, etc.

Despite my affinity for bacon sandwiches : ) i actually felt completely comfortable in the car - once in. the seats are great.

QUESTION FOR EVERYONE AGAIN: Any more experiences with 2008+ vettes with z51 or magniselect suspension - tell me your feeling about them. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Lotus Elise and Corvette Review from S2000 owner