Allegheny S2000 Owners Club Western PA including, Pittsburgh, Erie, Western Maryland, Northern West Virginia, and Eastern Ohio

Engine Bling

Old 10-05-2007, 06:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Bling

Well, import fusion has inspired me to take my engine bay up a notch or two. Just looking for advise, so don't flame me too much. My plans are to do some custom work on the valve cover and intake manifold and perhaps upgrade the pulleys, etc.

Question - I know I can polish both the valve cover and intake. From what I find on the forums this amounts to a lot of elbow grease and time - I am not afraid of this so - my current plan is to strip the paint of the valve cover and polish it smooth and remove the intake manifold and polish it as well. After that my choices are -

1. Leave the items polished and clear coat them with what?

2. Have them powder coated, and if so what powder coat - Chrome? Color? I know Keystone (at Kittaning) does this.

3. Mirra-chrome them myself - and if so any color reccomendations?

4. Have them dip chromed and if so/ any vendors in W.PA you would reccomend and any ideas on cost?

So what do y'all think?
Old 10-05-2007, 07:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally, I would go chrome. I would love to do the same to my bay but it is always a matter of money and time....more so time.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by s-cargo,Oct 5 2007, 10:08 AM
Personally, I would go chrome. I would love to do the same to my bay but it is always a matter of money and time....more so time.
I thing I will likely be doing a "chrome" rather than any color job - but what variety of chrome.

Powder chrome - Keystone has F20C valve cover powder chromed for $180.00. (I'm guessing somewhere in the 90% reflective area)

Mirra-chrome paint comes in "killer cans", is 98% reflective, and looks awesome - its a three step application - $140.00 - (if I went this route it has the added ability of metal coating the plastic items (intake cover, etc) it can be put on with airbrush as well, and I would seriously think of purchasing the airbrush to do it, if I went this route. I am not sure how heat resistant this system is.

Traditional dipped chrome - everything else compares itself to this, but $$$$$$$$$$ - how much, and if I start here - no other system will look as good next to it.- sigh -
Old 10-05-2007, 08:57 AM

this is what powder chrome looks like -

and this is mirra-chrome -

the powder would be easier, but the mirra chrome is temping
Old 10-05-2007, 09:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't use the spray cans because of the heat. Power coating sounds like the way to go. You could get the alternator done too. While your at it, you should dip your entire engine block and head in chrome :-).....I have see some rodders do this but they are made of money.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by s-cargo,Oct 5 2007, 12:01 PM
I wouldn't use the spray cans because of the heat. Power coating sounds like the way to go. You could get the alternator done too. While your at it, you should dip your entire engine block and head in chrome :-).....I have see some rodders do this but they are made of money.
Yeah - I'm a little concerned with how the paint would react to heat -

so this is what you think I should do?

Old 10-06-2007, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would just get the Valve cover powdercoated if thats what you want.....i have had core swaps done before on my mitsu. for around $150....so that sounds like a fair deal to me....removeing the intake manifold is way too much work to just polish it up for looks.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, removing the intake manifold is too much work.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by bc02,Oct 6 2007, 10:21 PM
I would just get the Valve cover powdercoated if thats what you want.....i have had core swaps done before on my mitsu. for around $150....so that sounds like a fair deal to me....removeing the intake manifold is way too much work to just polish it up for looks.
Actually, having the car setting in the garage for the next six months gives me all the time in the world to "polish" the intake. I expect that all I will really do is smooth it up and have it powder coated to match the valve cover, although, there are some pics somewhere in the website showing a polished intake that looks way cool.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:34 PM

Ok, the plan is moving - - - very slowly - - - checked on prices to powder chrome/cover valve cover, spark plug cover, intake manifold and alternator - total approx $415 - now doing research on polished alum. pully set -

look very nice and will improve output to boot - if the information I currently have is accurate that adds another $360 to the costs - once I have a delivery date on parts (new gaskets, pulleys, and maybe, just mayby a polished exhaust header) I will be talking to the shop about installs - If it isn't toooooo pricey on install cost, I may option to have my Honda tech do the removal/install - anyway, I'll keep y'all posted, I really don't expect much to happen till Dec or Jan, depending on parts delivery.

Quick Reply: Engine Bling