Allegheny S2000 Owners Club Western PA including, Pittsburgh, Erie, Western Maryland, Northern West Virginia, and Eastern Ohio

Chemo Update

Old 09-27-2012, 05:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chemo Update

I just finished with my second round of chemo and the results are not as good as I had hoped for. Within a week of finishing, the pain in my back still remains. This means that the cancer is not being affected to this regime. The problem now is that the chemo is now starting to have a negative impact on various other parts of the body. First my kidney functions are dropping and it is having a negative impact on my heart. Our plan now is to stop all chemo and approach the cancer in a different way. First thing is to use radiation treatment on the areas that are causing the pain, once we address the pain we will formulate a plan to go after the cancer. Even though Chemo is the most effective way to deal with this there are other options to consider. Next week I go for radiation and after that we will be trying some of the "trial" treatments available. I wish there was better news at this point but there isn't. We are going to actively pursue the quality of life scenario, and deal with this on an ongoing basis. Right now pain management and putting on some weight are the priorities, I was down to 162 pounds and put on two pounds last week which is a good thing. I am under no restrictions and everyday that I'm off of chemo the more energy I get back.
The Allegheny club has two rides scheduled for the next two weeks and I plan on being at both. Being with my friends make me feel great and something I really look forward too.
Another part of this is the support and love that Beth has shown. She's been the rock through this all and continues to be my best friend and loving and caring wife. Well that's all I got right now I'll keep everyone posted as we move ahead.
Love you all,
Maury
Old 09-27-2012, 03:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm sorry to hear this news, Maury. Joyce and I plan on doing the drive this Saturday so we are looking forward to seeing you and hope that we can help raise your spirits. We haven't known you all that long but you, and Beth, have made a huge impression on us so we hope that our support will be of some help. See you on Saturday!
Old 09-27-2012, 03:31 PM

So sorry to hear this, Maury. My prayers are with you.

I am hoping to make both rides, including the first annual Maurcatt Run next Saturday.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Your friends look forward to being with you too Maury, for these rides & many many many more to come!
Hang in there buddy!
Old 09-28-2012, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by RedOne2007
So sorry to hear this, Maury. My prayers are with you.

I am hoping to make both rides, including the first annual Maurcatt Run next Saturday.
One of the funniest responses is when you said it should take place after Yom Kippur. Still laugh when I see that.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:32 AM
Community Organizer

Oh man Maury I am sorry to hear this buddy. I will keep you and Beth in my prayers as well as your entire family. I hope the switch from Chemo to Radiation is what you need to kick this cancer's ass.