Alabama S2000 Owners Club Areas including Huntsville, Birmingham, Florence, Decatur, Anniston, and Tuscaloosa

Looking for a Job

Old 11-08-2010, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stoopidchris23,Nov 8 2010, 01:07 PM
Hey Dale. I work at Ascend Performance Materials LLC (what used to be Solutia and Monsanto) in Decatur. We have a job posted on our website for a Manufacturing Engineer if you want to check it out and apply. I believe our website is www.ascendmaterials.com. If not just google it and see.
If you guys hire him you'll be getting a bargain, no matter how much you pay him!
Old 11-08-2010, 05:41 PM

Man that sucks! Definitely hook up with a lawyer to see what your options are. Your best bet is probably going to be pushing for long term disability until you get the issues ironed out.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:47 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

Old 11-08-2010, 06:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch.. Might I suggest you document your 'meeting' with HR and the manager.. and specifically call attention to the fact of what was reviewed.. and that the termination would be due to your falling asleep - and not your performance. Many companies use performance as a reason to terminate, but they have made it clear that your termination is based upon a physical issue that you cannot control.

Don't be argumentative - don't bring up anything except for what was discussed, just make sure to highlight things that will support a case later, that your termination is due to your falling asleep.

If you bring suit later, they may change their story - so document everything.. dates, times, conversations etc.

Goodluck.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:17 PM

Received 1,292 Likes on 1,044 Posts

The State of Alabama is an Employment-at-Will State and does not have any laws on the books pertaining to the hiring and firing of an employee. The employer can hire anybody he wants and fire anybody he wants as long as he does not discriminate against the employee. Discrimination is based on the age, sex, race, religion, national origin, color or disability of the individual. You can contact the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission at their website “www.eeoc.gov”.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by leadfootgirl,Nov 8 2010, 07:27 PM
Ouch.. Might I suggest you document your 'meeting' with HR and the manager.. and specifically call attention to the fact of what was reviewed.. and that the termination would be due to your falling asleep - and not your performance. Many companies use performance as a reason to terminate, but they have made it clear that your termination is based upon a physical issue that you cannot control.

Don't be argumentative - don't bring up anything except for what was discussed, just make sure to highlight things that will support a case later, that your termination is due to your falling asleep.

If you bring suit later, they may change their story - so document everything.. dates, times, conversations etc.

Goodluck.
I'll add to that, forward all emails that pertain to this issue to your home email account.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go government...I know there are some good jobs posted on usajobs.gov.

Sorry to hear about all that. Unfortunately, as someone posted, AL is an at will employment state, so I'm not sure if you have legal cause in this case. Hopefully you do!!
Old 11-09-2010, 07:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They can hire/fire anyone they want, but they can't based on the disablity act. Nacalepsy is considered a disability.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:18 AM

Received 1,292 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Old 11-09-2010, 07:40 AM

Yea, it's not even worth fighting Kerm.

Can you afford to take a few months off to try and get this stuff under control? And I'm not really sure how you hold a valid driver's license if you fall asleep so easily? That would scare me.

Quick Reply: Looking for a Job