Alabama S2000 Owners Club Areas including Huntsville, Birmingham, Florence, Decatur, Anniston, and Tuscaloosa

Looking for a Job

Old 11-08-2010, 09:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking for a Job

Well, Kerm is looking for another job. Intergraph decided that they no longer are interested in working with me while I am under treatment for sleep apnea/narcolepsy. Basically if I fall asleep at work again I'm fired. I'll explain in more detail when I get home. I've been working with HR for a couple of months now and they know I have a medical issue, but they don't care anymore.

I really don't think it is legal they can fire me since I'm undergoing treatment and they have been informed every step of the way. But that is another matter. If anyone knows of an open engineering job I would appreciate it if you could give me the info.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:49 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't currently know of any jobs but I'll keep my eyes and ears open. I'm very sorry to hear of your problems. It would seem to me that they might be able to force you out on long term disability while undergoing treatment but firing you is a different matter.

Best of luck.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hate to hear that man and to be honest that's REALLY a low move on their part. I haven't heard of anything specific lately but check out Westar/QinetiQ NA's website for openings. We've been doing some hiring lately, I dunno if they're still doing it or not but feel free to use me as a reference if you want.

I remember the guys you worked under and for you to have lasted that long there you had to have been doing great work!
Old 11-08-2010, 10:02 AM

what's your background?
Old 11-08-2010, 10:08 AM

Thanks Austin. The quality of my work has never been questioned, but to them I'm not customer presentable and I make them look bad (to others in the company I suppose) when I appear sleepy or my eyes close during a meeting. I'm not disruptive. I don't "nap jerk". My eyes might close for a few seconds is all. I have sleep apnea and narcolepsy, BOTH. They know it, HR knows it, and I just got a dental appliance. The doctor said it would take 4-6 months for it to fully take affect and that I would then have a sleep study done again. The doctor said once I have the apnea under control we can work on the narcolepsy. I relayed all this info to HR as well as my boss (even though I don't have to tell my boss, I did b/c I wanted him to know I was getting it taken care of).

We had a meeting last week where he told me I was dozing off. I asked when and he told me right before he got up and walked over there. I don't think I was. My boss had even said he understood it was a medical issue and he had never seen anyone with my symptoms before. I don't realize I'm going to sleep. I don't shake or move or nod my head. I just close my eyes and momentarially fall asleep. He told me it was a huge distraction (I don't know how since all I do is close my eyes) and sent me home from the meeting.

The next day I was called in his office with 2 HR members and was told if it happens again I am terminated. Well that is basically signing my death certificate since it isn't a matter of if, but when. They all know, my boss especially this is out of my control. It isn't like I want it to happen, or control it, but they don't care. It looks bad that some guy falls asleep sometimes in a meeting due to a medical condition. His work has been excellent and has done things that no one else has ever been able to do, but none of that matters since it looks bad. I never thought my boss would sell me out, since he was always understanding. I will continue to get my issue fixed, but as soon as something else comes up, I'm gone from Intergraph. They have ruined my career here. I'm going to take every necessary step to protect myself, which includes talking to a lawyer.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:10 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5,250 Likes on 4,492 Posts

dang Dale I don't know what to say...
Old 11-08-2010, 10:11 AM

I have a BS in chemical engineering with biomedical and biochemical specialization. I have had project and process engineering jobs. I can do anything a mechanical engineer can do. I've been over multi-million dollar expansion projects as well as overseen daily production of several different chemicals. I've managed 13 hourly people before. I've got 6 years of experience now. I can send anyone my resume if you just PM me your email.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:18 AM

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts

wow, my wife has narcolepsy, I completely understand.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:07 AM

Glad to hear you're talking to a lawyer, you've got more than enough of a claim!
Old 11-08-2010, 12:07 PM

Hey Dale. I work at Ascend Performance Materials LLC (what used to be Solutia and Monsanto) in Decatur. We have a job posted on our website for a Manufacturing Engineer if you want to check it out and apply. I believe our website is www.ascendmaterials.com. If not just google it and see.

Quick Reply: Looking for a Job