Alabama S2000 Owners Club Areas including Huntsville, Birmingham, Florence, Decatur, Anniston, and Tuscaloosa

Dealer Damaged Wheels

Old 01-14-2007, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I havent seen the machines that can put the tires on from that back, that would be so much better. Everytime I can my wheels to get tires mounted they always struggled and have to get like 4 people with prybars to get them on, usually pretty good about not scratching them though
Old 01-14-2007, 12:46 PM

I took a moment to check mine out this afternoon ... just had new rears put on about a week ago. I didn't notice any scratches/scuffs at all on the wheels ... but then again the dealer service department here in HSV is pretty good on the whole.

I'll certainly have to keep this in mind for future tire replacements on both the S and on my wife's TSX
Old 01-15-2007, 01:09 PM

Hi Guys,

Here is a link to photos of the wheel damage.

Thanks,

Ken

www.candidphotographer.com/wheels
Old 01-15-2007, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by 2004S2000,Jan 15 2007, 04:09 PM
Hi Guys,

Here is a link to photos of the wheel damage.

Thanks,

Ken

www.candidphotographer.com/wheels
Try this for a link

wheel pics
Old 01-15-2007, 02:49 PM

That's how mine looked after they put them on. With scrapes all the way down because they used a GIANT screwdriver to force the tire on the wheel.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:53 PM

Wow! That's F**ked!

I'm lucky the guys up here at Damson seem to take a little better care because I didn't get anything like that on mine week before last. Next time you need to replace tires, either drive up to HSV or down to Montg.

How much did they charge you to put them on? I think up here they told me $10 a tire.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:55 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

The nicks on the wheel are from prying against the lip of the wheel to get the outer bead of the tire on the rim.

The OEM wheels are designed to have tires mounted from the front not the back. If you look at My Work S2R's or Mark's Volks the relief for the tire is on the front face of the wheel. This is for the tire bead to have a place smaller than the OD of the wheel when you stretch the outer bead over the wheel. Making it only possible to mount the tire from the back side. The wheel must be clamped on the fininshed face to do this. The tire machine has rubber coated blocks that clamp the wheel face.

On OEM wheels you clamp through the hub or the inside of the wheel. The inner bead is stretched on 1st, the the outer. OEM 16's and 17's have very stiff sidewalls and you must hold the tire down in the bead relief to get the tire on the wheel. They make plastic clips that hold the tire down against the wheel face and don't mark the wheel. These where not used on your wheels.

Some wheels are next to impossible to mount a tire on without leaving some kind of mark. My Work's are one of them. the valve stem is located in a horrible place, the bead of the tire must slide past the stem when seating the bead. It takes about and hour to mount 1 tire on a wheel.

McConnell does have a tire machine that allows damage free installs on OEM wheels, as long as you know how to use it.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:29 AM

My wheels were painted like you would paint a car, not powercoated. I had Ala-Tune put new tires on last night and there are scrapes in the paint around the outer edge of the rim showing the stock color.

Get this - he didn't have a balancing machine - he had a tire level. yes, liquid with a bubble that you need to center in a circle. I guess it worked, though. No vibration.