Alabama S2000 Owners Club Areas including Huntsville, Birmingham, Florence, Decatur, Anniston, and Tuscaloosa

Dealer Damaged Wheels

Old 01-12-2007, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Damaged Wheels

Hi all,

I know I was warned. I've been using Tameron Honda for service since I moved here a year ago. It seemed fine up to today.

Last night on 65 the road was littered with 4x4 boards. I ran over them along with several other vehicles that were damaged. Couldn't avoid them. Lost a Shut rear wheel. Those wheels aren't made anymore. Fortunately, I still had my OEM '04 wheels.

After I put on the new wheels and tires from Tirerack I had Jason, the wheel repair guy I've bragged about, fix rub on a couple of wheels. They were perfect. The car's leased and even though I wasn't using those wheels I intended to turn the car in with the old wheels at the end of the lease. I stored them with the protective materials the new wheels came in from Tirerack.

I had the car towed to Tameron along with the Wheels. I was with the driver. I checked the OEM wheels and we put them carefully on the flatbed. We took the off just as carefully and rested them on the inside by the service center.

Picked up my car tonight and the OEM wheels were covered with thick grease on the car. I had to clean them off myself. When I did I found damage on three of the wheels. Little nicks right near the tire in several locations. One was a larger gauge, same location, like it was made by a hand tool. Most of the damage is not obvious from standing distance, though some of it is.

I went to see the service manager and he told me immediately, "that damage was there when you brought them in." I told him that I knew the wheels were perfect. He insisted that I look at his machine that he says is automated, and brand new, therefore they couldn't have done the damage. They refused to even look at the damage on the wheels. He, and later his supervisor, just repeatedly insisted that they did not and could not have done the damage. Last thing said the general manager of service said that I should have the wheel repair guy vouch for the fact that he'd fixed the wheels, like I'd make it up. $300 is not worth the upset this has caused me.

Can any of the mechanics here tell me what likely happened to the wheels? I don't think they were dropped. The damage is only by the tires and localized.

I've already called Honda to make a complaint. This will cost me $300 to fix and some down time. More than the money and hassle, I have to fear that my car value will decline from damage each time they service it. I don't think they care one bit about customer satisfaction. All I can do is try to warn other local Honda drivers. If Tameron is the only dealer near me I may have to change cars to avoid this sort of trouble. Any good non-dealer mechanics around?

Lexus damaged one of my wheels on my Lexus by apperantly dropping the wheel. They fixed it right away with no questions asked. How did Tameron get Honda's steller rating for service and sales?!!!

Thanks,

Ken
Old 01-12-2007, 03:27 PM

I hate Tameron and drive all the way to Tuscaloosa for my service. Townsend Honda (Tuscaloosa) damaged two of my wheels with the machine and replaced them promptly. Sorry to hear that happened to you.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:35 PM

Maybe I'll check out Townsend.

Thanks,

Ken
Old 01-12-2007, 07:19 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

got a pic of the damage?
Old 01-12-2007, 08:06 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Its possible that they put the new tires on from the front side instead form the back side.

If there was a lot of tire grease on the front side that would be my assumption.

+ the fact they left a thick layer of grease on the rim; I would assume they did that to hide the damage that they caused.

Have you looked at the back side of the rim?..... I wonder if there is more damage back there
Old 01-13-2007, 07:57 AM

I've had this happen every time i've taken my car in for service. I used to have some nice 3piece kinesis wheels but got so tired of incompetent people tearing them up when replacing the tires.

Sorry this advice is too late but I always take digital pictures of all of the rims documenting that they are undamaged and "perfect." I have them time dated and stamped and make the service manager sign paperwork saying that they have seen the condition of the wheels and agree there is no damage before starting the work. If not it's their word against yours if there is any damage.

Lots of people these days no longer take pride in their work and are willing to point the finger when they know it was their screwup. The best course of action is to arm yourself and have some hard proof to back yourself up. I even photograph the exterior of the car and make sure the service manager looks the ENTIRE car over before handing over the keys. I think this pisses them off a little bit but i've heard way to many stories of some dealerships trying to hand off the blame to the customer when the car was obviously damaged at the dealership.

I won't say this is true of every dealership but it's always better to be safe than sorry
Old 01-13-2007, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had a guy come into our dealership trying to blame a door ding on us. When I clearly saw it when the car was still in the service lane. It was an ap2 and the guy was from another site.

It sucks to hear about your wheels
I would take the receipt of the wheel repair up there and talk to the SM again.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:10 PM

I guess I should have added that as well.. There are LOTS of customers that know there was damage prior to bringing their vehicle to the dealership and try and point the finger as well! I didn't mean for my argument to sound only one sided.

Pictures should set the record straight for both the dealership and the customer.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:26 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

I'd like to see some pics before I tell you what I think happened. If the scrapes are on the lip of the wheel I'm pretty sure what made them.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:48 PM

Thanks guys. I'll check the inside of the wheels and take photos on Monday. Have to work tomorrow.

Ken

Quick Reply: Dealer Damaged Wheels