S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Full write up review - JDP Engineering rear diffuser

Old 01-31-2012, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full write up review - JDP Engineering rear diffuser

Just picked up a new diffuser from JDP. I always wanted a diffuser but everything out there has been too messy. This is a 2 piece carbon fiber diffuser. The install was
pretty easy but it is best to have a buddy around to help you balance things. I love this thing. It is the first mod my dad has ever complimented me on.

http://www.jdpengineering.com/jdpcarbon/index.html

Tools needed:
Car Jack/ Jack Stands
10mm socket
13mm socket
dish washer soap
rubbing alcohol
A place to stand your rear bumper ( I used a trash can)
Total time: 1 1/2 hrs

Here is the before and after shot.

By magnuszero at 2012-01-31

My car is on stock springs and 17x9 rpf1. Stock vs diffuser height.

1.Wash down your rear bumper with some dishwasher soap. You want a stickier surface for the 3m tap to adhere to, that is why I didn't use the traditional car soap or detail spray.

2.Remove the rear bumper. Read other diy threads on this info.

3.Place the bumper on your stand. Grab the 3m sticks that come with the kit. Read the instructions on the sticks.
Clean the surface below the 2nd bumper line with some rubbing alcohol. Press firmly on the black dot and smear the primer on the bumper below 2nd bumper line. This is used to make the 3m have gripper surface. The primer is no affect on the paint and can be washed away if you decide to remove the piece. You can see in the picture where I smeared it by the swirl marks.

4.Place the bumper on the diffuser to test fit. Make sure you know where it is going to be roughly placed. Here are some shots of it placed without tape.

5.When your ready, remove a piece of the 3m backing on the two corners and center. Place the bumper on one of the corners and peel and press as you go from one side to the other. Go slowly as not to break the tape backing as you pull. In case if you break the backing as your pulling, use needle nose pillars to get it back. You can use your own method here if you know a more accurate way.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

6.Place bumper back on the the car and bolt it up on the bottom with the bolts that came with the kit. Bolt in sequence like in the pictures.

7. Jack up the rear of the car. Take the 2 hooks from the kit and dismantle them. Throw it over the frame bar, one on each side.

Put the bar and rubber piece back on

8. Take the 2nd diffuser piece and place it under the two hooks and tighten it with the two nuts, lightly on each side. Hand tighten with sockets only as not to crack the carbon fiber. Tape the 2nd piece to the diffuser to provide support during this process.

9. Final process is the bolt up the 2nd piece to the diffuser with the two nuts. If you jacked it up by the rear differential make sure your jack has enough clearance to not crack the diffuser. I had to place my car on ramps to jack it back down.

10. TA DA ENJOY!!

Old 02-01-2012, 12:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow I've never been a fan of any diffuser other than Termigni's (which was a little too incomplete, but at least it looked good) as the rest looked way , way too ricey. Granted this may not be the best performance based rear diffuser, but I sure haven't seen one that looks this good.

Not planning on modding anytime soon, but out of curiousity, how much did this piece run you?

Old 02-01-2012, 07:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like the japanese will be importing USDM parts now
Old 02-01-2012, 07:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very nice
Old 02-01-2012, 08:01 AM

Received 3,772 Likes on 2,661 Posts

looks great, better than some of that over-sized JDM stuff.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:54 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow, I genuinely like this diffuser!
Old 02-01-2012, 11:28 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Now you need their rear spoiler, it's the best out there!
Old 02-01-2012, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteflash
Wow I've never been a fan of any diffuser other than Termigni's (which was a little too incomplete, but at least it looked good) as the rest looked way , way too ricey. Granted this may not be the best performance based rear diffuser, but I sure haven't seen one that looks this good.

Not planning on modding anytime soon, but out of curiousity, how much did this piece run you?

Picked it up for 650.

Thanks for the compliment guys. I really like this piece, makes the rear a lot more aggressive and still easy to drive with. I have been driving around with it normally and not one scratch yet.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:05 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

So am I right in saying that the only thing holding on the rear piece is the 3m? When bolting the bumper back on, it doesn't look like the bolt catches the diffuser at all, rather just part of the washer touches the diffuser. In that case, do you think this could have been done without removing the bumepr?

Thanks so much for the write up!
Old 02-01-2012, 02:40 PM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 355 Likes on 308 Posts

I really like this thing. I would love to see it on a lowered S since I am worried about destroying it going over a speed bump. I think its the only one I would actually put on my car.

Quick Reply: Full write up review - JDP Engineering rear diffuser