S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Fortune Auto Coilovers review

Old 06-29-2010, 05:56 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Fortune Auto Coilovers review

A local friend of mine owns Fortune Auto. They are located in the Mid-Atlantic area around Richmond, VA. If you haven't heard of Fortune check out some of the Redline Time Attack results for the east coast events and you'll see they've done pretty well. They have been around for a couple years and their most popular applications are for the Evo 8/9/10 and s13/14/15.

Here is a picture of the shop car that run in Redline street tire class

The gray car is one they started sponsoring last year and I believe it runs in the Redline modified class

I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to get the first set of the Fortune Coils made for the s2000. I had ridden in their Evo several times and knew they would be good.

I previously had the Apexi N1 exv coilovers on my car which were 12k springs front and rear. I was happy with these in every way. They were a little bouncy on certain roads but for the most part great. When talking with the Owner I wanted to stick with the exact same spring rates as the Apexi coilovers so that I could make the best comparison of which was really better. I believe the standard rates for the s2000 application will be 9k front and rear. Custom rates are available though but will definitely increase wait time when ordering but won't cost you any extra Coilovers are 30 way adjustable.

Price point for these should be right around $1000

Onto the review!

Here is pic of them in the box.

The camera made everything look more yellow than it really is. The springs are lime green while the rest is a nice anodized regular shade of green. One thing they recently changed was teflon coating the threaded body. This helps rust prevention as well as keeping everything smoother when making any kind of changes. The adjustment knobs can be removed if desired.

Install was very straight forward. They install just like any other coilover on the market. Already fully assembled out of the box so just grab and go.

Initial impression was that they felt pretty close to the Apexi coils. Better, but close enough that if you didn't know they were changed out you probably wouldn't think you were on something different. I ended up talking to the owner of Fortune and he was quite surprised as he thought for sure they would ride noticeably better. He made some recommendations as far as spring preload and optimal dampening setting for the street and it made a big difference to how they were straight out of the box. The coilovers definitely suck up bumps and take dips better than my previous setup. Definitely a more comfortable setup than what I was used to. Keep in mind they are still 12k springs so the ride is firm but the dampers feel like they do their job better. Even with the Apexi coils which I believe are 32 way adjustable I had tried going through the entire range of settings and there wasn't really a huge difference between full soft and full stiff. I haven't had a chance to get out and do any track driving or autocross yet so I can't say how they compare to the Apexi coils. Overall a definite improvement over what came off the car.

I'm toying around with the idea of playing with the spring rates some so if I do change things up I'll be sure to come back and update this thread.

Feel free to ask any questions!
Old 06-29-2010, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brother just put these on his EVO X, good coilovers and they ride pretty good.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:14 AM

another reason why shitty chinese companies stay in business.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:34 PM

We have these on some of our cars and they ride very well. We are also a dealer for Fortune Auto now