S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Things to do/check/replace after getting an s2k?

Old 03-22-2010, 03:48 PM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Things to do/check/replace after getting an s2k?

Well, looks like I'm going to pickup my '06 s2k on Wednesday. I'm trying to come up with a list of "things to do" after getting the car, and I'd appreciate if it people could add/make suggestions of things to do/check/replace after getting the car.

A couple things at the top of my list are:
1. Get an alarm
2. Get seat locks
3. Get wheel locks (doesn't have them I believe)
4. Perform TSB for soft top to deburr rough/sharp edges (if your car is under warranty honda will due it)
5. New diff oil (LE607), tranny oil honda mtf, engine oil change
6. Cabin & engine air filter
7. Inspect tires and brakes

************************************************** *****************************************
8. Apply patch/fix for soft top (sleeve protectors for bikes seem to work well)
Purchased Sunbrella black fabric, and applied a small patch to problem areas with regular fabric glue.

A. TSB for smoothing AP2 soft top frame:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...c=701017&st=25
B. Bike guards for soft top frame:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?act=S...25&t=686754&st=
C. Another thread w/ a specific wear point above the driver's side head I caught:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=799899

More interesting threads
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...ic=385981&st=0
************************************************** ************************************************** ********************************

9. Replace soft top straps w/ modifry ones- http://www.modifry.com/products/ctf/details.htm

A couple sounds/noises that are "normal" when driving an s2k that may not seem like "normal" to some people:
1. There's a "clunk" when shifting into first from a stop. Doesn't do it all the time, but seems to frequently.

A few things I'm not sure are necessary or not. The car is an '06 w/ 15k miles. Any other maintenance/etc you guys would recommend? I guess I'll have to visit the cosmetic forum to look for leather/cleaning products for the inside/etc.

Thanks in advance for the info!

Here's some info about things to check before getting an s2k (thanks 8ball): https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=590849

Edit: Maybe others who buy a car can find this thread useful as well in the future. I'll just create a running list.

Edit 2: Added my later thread to this thread.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Diff fluid is supposed to be changed every 15k so yea, add that to your list.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:04 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

While you are at it .... change the tranny fluid, oil and filter, replace/clean the cabin air filter and engine air filter, Giver her a good bath - top and bottom .... zanio/wax, 303/ragtop on the top, 303 on the interior leather. Also vacuum the carpet .... you never know what you might find......
Old 03-22-2010, 04:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO an alarm isn't really a priority with these cars as we have immobilizers, so they won't be able to move the car unless it is taken on a flatbed.

And if they are doing a smash and grab, they probably won't care too much about an alarm going of.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:37 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Regarding the alarm, I'm debating myself on whether to get one or not, I guess it'll depend on price largely when I look around. I'm thinking at the least an alarm can't hurt, and might help deter some thieves. I'm debating coughing up another $65/month for garage parking here, and am thinking it's probably worth it, especially with a yellow s2k..

Finally, any suggestions on the replacement straps, and after how long should they be replaced? I came across these: http://www.modifry.com/products/ctf/details.htm

Like I said, I noticed some light scuffing at the right rear of the soft top on the inside, so I'm hoping the TSB will take care of it and it won't be a problem in the future. Is anyone taking extra precautions/measures to prevent rips/tears from happening in the soft top? I thought I recall someone placing duct tape on the "problem" areas (on the support bars), but can't find the post now.

Also, what exactly causes the tearing to occur in the tops? Is it that the bar pictured in that link doesn't come down properly and it causes the cloth to stretch/strain? For the time being until I have the TSB work done, will simply reaching back when lowering the top and making sure that the bar goes down properly prevent tearing in the cloth top? Also, is it just the lowering of the top that generally causes the top, not the raising? Sorry for all the questions guys. I've been scouring the board for info for a while, but still don't know a lot. Thanks.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:40 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

(Some of this has already been said above.)

Assuming you don't know the car's previous history:

- New engine oil
- New transmission oil (Honda MTF)
- New diff oil (LE607)
- Bleed brake lines (use whatever DOT 3/4 fluid you like)
- New cabin filter

Things to check:

- Tire wear/pressure/sizes/brand/model
- Brake pad thickness
- Engine air cleaner
Old 03-22-2010, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by SlowTeg,Mar 22 2010, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Regarding the alarm, I'm debating myself on whether to get one or not, I guess it'll depend on price largely when I look around. I'm thinking at the least an alarm can't hurt, and might help deter some thieves. I'm debating coughing up another $65/month for garage parking here, and am thinking it's probably worth it, especially with a yellow s2k..
Get the garage. It's worth the investment, especially for a S2K. Personally I couldn't sleep at night with my car outside. What city/state do you live in?

I'm looking at a Viper alarm that can signal me if someone is breaking into my car. It offers great peace of mind, which I can't stress enough. Since I refuse to own a hard top, I gotta add modifcations to the car which offer me the peace of mind. Seat locks, alarm, etc.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:45 PM

I bought an 06 with 30k miles last fall. ABSOLUTELY buy the modifry replacement straps. Even though the car was only 3 or 4 years old when I bought it, the original straps had totally lost their elasticity and were very brittle. They did not pull the bar down as they should and I noticed that my latches were leaving indentations on the top where they were being forced against it due to the faulty straps. If I had not replaced them by now I would likely have holes in my 4 year old top. The modifry ones are well made. I took pictures of the oem straps to show their crapiness but have been too lazy to post.

To prevent the arms from slicing the rear of the top in the classic s2000 place, a step farther than the TSB is to put fabric patches on the contact spots of the top. Some even fashion little socks to go around the joint on the arm that rubs the top. Perhaps it is an overkill but to me that is better than forking out dough for a new top.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:46 PM

Also, I would not park the s2000 outside at night as others have mentioned. Garage is crucial.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:01 PM

Thanks for the info phaphapho. I guess i better order those straps asap, they seem very simple to install, and are quite cheap, so certainly can't hurt.

Do you have a link to a thread or anyone explaining how to apply patches to the contact spots on the soft top on the inside? This is my first convertible, and don't have the first clue about soft tops and where to look for patches to buy and how to install them. That sounds like a great idea to prevent the bars from wearing through certain spots and leading to a rip.

Damn, didn't want to have to cough up more money, but probably a wise thing to spend $65/month on. Guess I'll only be living in an apartment for a few more years, so not too bad. Maybe my insurance will give me a slight discount on garaged parking as well. Thanks for the advice guys!

Quick Reply: Things to do/check/replace after getting an s2k?