Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Drove the new BMW Z4 today. S2000 and Z4 Pics!

Old 10-24-2002, 05:17 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a call yesterday afternoon that a local BMW dealer (about 30 minutes away) received two new Z4's and that they would be ready for test drives this morning. Not wanting to pass up such an opportunity, I gave in and drove out to see them.

When I pulled into the dealer, I instantly saw the first Z4 and while it was unmistakable, it surely did not get me excited. The dealer had the 2.5 and 3.0 Z4's available. The 6speed 3.0 Z4 will not go into production until December. The salesman also said that BMW will release an SMG version (like the M3) in early Spring! The 3.0 I drove was automatic with tiptronic and the drive was very comfortable.

The power was balanced. I never felt there was too much, nor too little. The interior is every bit a BMW. Nice touches included a fully finished interior for the top. No top hinges/locks and plenty of room. I kept thinking about how I would feel in the car around some of those wonderful curves on the Dragon! Would I feel supported or simply sliding around? I was unable to duplicate any sliding during the test drive. MSRP on this Z4 was an unreal $47k+. You'll notice in the pictures that the front (IMO) is simply too long and the rear looks chopped.

Seeing the car in person certainly gives you a better reaction than any picture. The rims on this Z4 are a whopping 18inches. The sound of the Z4 was dissapointing. I expected something different. It was good for this car, I guess. And for the average buyer, it's probably best at the level but I've always thought of our S2000 as an "edgy" car. Luxury items in the Z4 abound you and I was reminded several times of just how "light" our S2000's are. This Z4 had nearly everything. Heated power seats with memory, automatic tire pressure monitors, run-flat tires, auto-dimming mirrors, etc, etc.

With the spell of rain this morning, I was unable to release the top. I was very interested to see the time it would take for the top to fold and I really wanted to see the "awkward" roll bars. I kept stealing glances at them as the salesman drove out of the lot and talking about warranties or something. They looked crooked. Just not right, IMHO. Well, that's it. Here are some pics:

The arrival. . .

Interior shots. . .

The front and rear. . .

Old 10-24-2002, 05:18 PM
Former Moderator

Now, some pics of the S2000 and Z4 side by side!

Front. . .

Nose shot. . .

Side shot. . .

Tail shot. . .

Rear shot. . .

Some delivery shots. . .

Old 10-24-2002, 06:05 PM

Received 5,690 Likes on 3,352 Posts

No contest. S2000 wins the styling war hands down. The S2000 lines are clean, crisp, and timeless. The Z4 is an eye sore.
Old 10-24-2002, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW, you S2K peeps should sue for design rip-off. I always thought the Rear of the Z4 was a little Japanese but side by side it's really funny the similarities. Anyway I think that car is DAMN ugly.
Old 10-24-2002, 06:18 PM

I like the front end......

but the rear end looks weird......too short.....

The 18" wheels looks ugly.

$47K? I rather have a 2003 boxster with glass window......
Old 10-24-2002, 06:19 PM

Well I like the design, I love the s2000 as well... but I wouldn't mind haveing a z4. I rather have a s2000, but I do not hate the z4
Old 10-24-2002, 06:20 PM
Former Moderator

Originally posted by Carlson

$47K? I rather have a 2003 boxster with glass window......
Carlson, this Z4 has a glass rear window.
Old 10-24-2002, 06:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the great pics Airgate. Not one single good looking angle on that Z4! That is just reiterated with your pics of that Ragtop mistake from BMW. This is worst than the 7 hopefully that Bangle CS1 won't show up otherwise it would win the crown for "What not to do with a Marquee."
It is like me wearing a pea green leisure suit, posing in front of the mirror and exclaming: "You look good dude!" and off to work I go. What is he thinking? is the phrase that the majority will reply.

Tan
Old 10-24-2002, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by airgate

Some delivery shots. . .
Is that a Boxster S with glass window?
Old 10-24-2002, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by airgate

Carlson, this Z4 has a glass rear window.
I know. What about the blue one/tan top there?

Quick Reply: Drove the new BMW Z4 today. S2000 and Z4 Pics!