Texas - Central Texas S2000 Owners Central Texas S2000 Owners

Hill Country Weekend Drive Details: 10/12 - 10/13

Old 09-08-2002, 06:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hill Country Weekend Drive Details: 10/12 - 10/13

As discussed in this thread:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=79835

I decided to go w/ the popular vote, even though this means I "have to" sacrifice and do it two weekends in a row (following weekend on my motorcycle). I hope most of you who voted can fit it in your schedule...this is the latest I could do it before Daylight Savings ends, and I think it will strike a good balance between available daylight and nice weather.

This will an approx. 500+/- mile round trip, w/ an overnight stay in Leakey. Hopefully, we'll be able to fit in a non-driving side activity as well. I'm pretty confident you can't find more fun or scenic roads anywhere in Texas.

Places to stay are:

Leaky Springs Cabins
http://www.leakeyspringscabins.com/
(830) 232-6351
This is the "official event HQ" where Sondra, Stephan, Angel, Melinda, and I are staying. They have a variety of options....the 2 bedroom waterfront cabins are $75/night + $5/person over 4. They also have a sleeper sofa, so can sleep 6 IIRC.

Mountain Laurel Inn
830-232-5246

X Frio Canyon Lodge
X http://www.friocanyonlodge.com/
X (830) 232-6800
X mailto:fcl@hctc.net
X unfortunately, booked solid as of tonight

I suggest making your reservations quickly. This time of year all lodging books up pretty quickly in Leaky.

If you're interested, please send me a PM w/ the following info:
- your real/screen name
- your passenger's name, if you expect to bring one
- your mobile #
- your email address
- car info (year/make/model/color) - this is a "non-denominational" event... enthusiasts driving "other" sports cars are welcome to join us.
- your driving preference (spirited or casual)

I'll immediately reply back w/ the starting time & location, and will compile the attendee/route info for distribution to all participants beforehand. Depending on the # of participants and how fast they want to go, we may split the group into 2 or 3...which leads to volunteers. Please let me know if you'd like to help in some small way to enhance the quality of the event. Opportunities include:
- group leaders/sweepers
The following aren't really necessary, but would be a "nice to have"
- dinner/BBQ coordinator. Dinner @ a local rest. is prob. easier given the small luggage capacity of our cars, but the cabins have a BBQ pit.
- beer caddy: Leakey is a dry town, so it would be great if someone had a big enough vehicle to bring a cooler(s) of beer for Sat. night.
- side trip coordinator...maybe to one of the local state parks, both of which I hear are very nice:
Lost Maples http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/park/lostmap/lostmap.htm
Garner http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/park/garner/garner.htm

Also, bring Talk-abouts or similar FRS radios if you have 'em, they're great for keeping everyone in touch.

This is going to be a LOT of fun!!! In the meantime, here's a link to some pics to whet your appetite for what's to come: http://www.tsba.org/san_antonio/Thanksgiving.html
Old 09-09-2002, 07:31 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

This sounds like a great time, thanks for organizing! I'll do my best to round up the North Texas crew...
Old 09-09-2002, 03:45 PM

Clovis, I'm glad you're going to try to make it! I'm sure several of us (incl. me) will volunteer to put y'all up Friday night to ease the cost of the trip.
Old 09-10-2002, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris,

Any rough idea on the route. I know you will not pick the short and easy way to get to Leakey.
Old 09-10-2002, 08:26 PM

Yes, I know the route, but it won't be published in advance. Trust me, the roads and scenery will be AWESOME! If you're dying to know, shoot me a PM and I'll fill you in on the general route.
Old 09-12-2002, 06:35 AM

JUST A REMINDER/WARNING...

It's a good idea to make reservations out there ASAP. Rooms are limited in the area as it is, and that time of year the town will sell out (at least one place already has). Even if you're not sure about going, I'd make a room reservation now...I'd hate to see some folks miss out b/c they waited too late to book a room.
Old 09-12-2002, 09:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just tried to get a room and I had to leave a message.
Old 09-13-2002, 08:32 AM

Man they are hard to get ahold of
Old 09-13-2002, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody interested in sharing a cabin? I haven't gotten one yet, but would like to go.

Mark
Old 09-17-2002, 06:19 AM

I just made a reservation. They were out of town. If anyone wants to get reservations I would go ahead and call now.

Quick Reply: Hill Country Weekend Drive Details: 10/12 - 10/13