S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

New Driver Questions

Old 01-17-2002, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Driver Questions

Hi,

I'm 16 years old and in 5 mo. when I'm 17, I'm getting a car. I know what your thinking...teenager + S2K = hell no. Well, I just wanted to ask a few questions. I got a test "ride" in a Sebring S2K at Ourisman Honda in Bethesda, MD. The guy was really nice, and was willing to let me drive, even though I'm not 18 (I've never used a manual, so did not feel comfortable). OMG, that ride was so fun, he was speeding like crazy to show it off, and I was more than impressed. Though most of you will be surprised, the S2K's price (incd. a little dealer overpricing) in within my range for a new car. My parents are aware of my interest in the car but have not said much. I was wondering if you guys could give me information on the car's safety. I saw that some guy flipped one on the board, and survived without major injury, which is amazing.
I'm 6' 1" and a somewhat large build and did not get a chance to sit in the driver's seat, but felt "kinda" cramped in the passenger and had enough leg room. Is the driver's side have more space? Is the transition from automatic driving to manual a very large experience? I'm a little familiar w/ manual but never actually driven a manual car. The car would mainly be used for driving to school and weekend fun stuff. I consider myself responsible and would not be encouraged to break the law.....that much. I know what's reasonable and what's safe. Do you guys think a 2 seater is too little for a high school student? I know my friends will probably be pissed, until they get their cars, cuz only 1 lucky passenger for the S2K. Are any of you guys high school students, and if so, found the S2K fulfilled their daily needs.
Another thing, how is the audio in the car. I bet the stock is OK, and I would probably have a nice Alpine system installed in it like the rest of my family's cars.
In case you guys were wondering other car's I was interested in, they were the BMW 325i and the Jeep Grand Cherokee (which I have about 75& of my driving experience with, as we have gone through 4 of them in the past 10 years.) Please let me know if you think the car would not be right for me so I don't regret it in the future. Thanks a bunch!

- David
Old 01-17-2002, 07:20 PM

Riding shotgun in a S2K is nothing like driving it......and there is a lot more leg room for the driver vs. the passenger. I'm 6'2" 220 and have no problems at all....fits me like a glove.
Old 01-17-2002, 08:03 PM

hey dude, i'm 17. i was sixty when i got it (just a little younger than you are now)...

i'm going to sleep right now, 'cause i have school tomorrow, but tomorrow after school, i'll edit this post and let you know how high school driving is.
Old 01-17-2002, 08:08 PM

ok, thanks man, i'm eager to hear what you say
Old 01-18-2002, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by moyopoyo
hey dude, i'm 17. i was sixty when i got it (just a little younger than you are now)...

Hey, I was 18 when I got mine, but I'm in college, so I can't really tell you how having one as a high schooler is. However, I drove a MR2 Turbo in high school and that wasn't "too little" as you say. Only thing I'd recommend prior to getting an S2000 is to learn how to drive manual . Preferably on another Honda/Acura, as I've noticed that the only other cars I've driven that feel even somewhat close to an S2000 shifting-wise (notwithstanding the short shifter) are Civics and Integras. Must be something with the cluth . . . very forgiving . . .
Old 01-26-2002, 11:40 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dj K-otik
[B]
Old 01-26-2002, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by moyopoyo

haha, sorry i didn't see that. i won't correct though, 'cause it sounds really funny.

wow, i felt the opposite. i hate the way integras/civics feel compared to my "stook." you must have a soft clutch, huh? i've got a harder one - harder is always better.
I feel that my GS-R clutch felt really similar to my S2000's clutch. Either way, getting some practice with a RWD car is really important. Not necessary, but definitely beneficial. Time at a driving school would be awesome on top of that. The S2000 is a car that must be respected and it's imperative that you know its limits.
Old 01-26-2002, 12:01 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Psicho54
[B]...Either way, getting some practice with a RWD car is really important.
Old 01-26-2002, 12:04 PM

dj, Hey i'm 18 and about to go to college in the fall. i was considering getting a S2K but i'm kinda worried that it might be to small for college. I was wondering if it is too small for you considering the limited trunk space, and if there are any down-sides to have it in colege. Thanx
Old 01-26-2002, 12:53 PM

Wow! High schoolers driving an S2k. As a med student who gets cheered and jeered for my M3, I have professors and attending physicians who drive cars that are 10 x more humble. I suggest you get something with less power and learn how to drive at a racetrack (Miata or Sentra comes to mind). A friend of mine who's a pulmonlogist drives a relatively bone-stock 93 Sentra SE-R and he passes up Cobra Rs, S2k, and 996 Porsches with relative ease on the track.

By the way, TX World Speedway rocks! Nothing like the looks on drivers as you pass up their Ferraris and Vipers in your "lesser" car. Have fun in May. Kudos to John Eagle Honda for sponsoring the event.

Quick Reply: New Driver Questions