Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Dyno results!

Old 12-15-2001, 04:14 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

That was easier than I thought.

Anyway, for those that weren't there: Temps were in the 50s and it was raining. Hood open, no fan, airbox covers on. There were some snags that delayed things at the beginning, so later runs were done pretty close together. I couldn't figure out how to manually set the scaling on the graphs, so some of them look a little funky. Don't compare these numbers to different dynos on different days. YMMV. Do not run with scisors.

In alphabetical order:

Brad's M3. Notice the flat torque curve...

The other Brad's TL Type S. Fat low-end torque. Should run a dyno starting at 1000rpm next time.

Chris's S2000 with lots of mods. The strongest of the bunch. Mugen header & exhaust, Powerflo tb, JR filter, radmat.

Jimmy. Amuse exhaust, MGR intake. We tried a little experiment with putting some additional, makeshift backpressure on the exhaust, but it lost significant numbers accross the entire range.

Kevin's. We experimented with filters here. First stock (very dirty), then K&N (gained 1.5), then JR (lost 0.6.)

My car. Only one "official" pull because my car spent a lot of time on the machine before we figured out how to work everything. (Then event went smooth as butter after.) It was my highest hp pull, anyway. Second only to Chris. J's Racing exhaust, JR filter, radmat. 33k miles.

Paul. Fully stock. A disapointing pull, unfortunately. We're not sure what's going on.

Sanjee. Only three weeks old - still has paper plates, but 1300 miles already. Great numbers for such a new engine, IMO.

Everybody's best run on a single graph, so you can get an idea of the relative torque curve shapes.
In oder as on graph:
[CODE]Sanjee
Old 12-15-2001, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like the mods on Chris's car had a better effect on torque than horsepower.
Old 12-15-2001, 05:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mark, thanks for posting the results so fast.

To those looking at the dyno runs.. pay less attention to the peak numbers and more attention to the area under the curve. The Mugen parts on my car make it notably more flexible on the track not because of peak power.. it is because through the entire range, especially from 6100 to 8200, substantially more power is generated.

I doubt it is valid to closely compare these numbers to those from a different dyno or even a different day, and even the runs today will vary by 2%. This was fun, but performance on the road is what really counts.
Old 12-15-2001, 08:10 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Chris's torque curve shows a pretty consistent increase accross the entire rev range, with a bit more added right after VTEC. Nothing tuned particularly towards low- or high-end performance.

Mine's pretty close to everybody else's below 6000 - all my gains are on the high rpm cam. Jimmy, the other single outlet exhaust guy, matches my high rpm torque for a few hundred rpm, but he has the best low end torque after Chris.

There's no way to draw any conclusions from this, only more speculation, but the question is raised - which mod of Chris's has most helped? TB bore? Header?
Old 12-16-2001, 04:25 AM

Not that I'm trying to make excuses (I'm happy w/my results), however keep in mind that my MG Racing CAI has a ram air shape/function/effect to it, plus like I said, it's a CAI...So, as w/any CAI w/a ram air effect/shape/function the only way to get true, actual dyno results is w/in a wind tunnel simulating wind at X-amount of mph (Such as 60, 70, 80 mph, etc...). Too bad DeeGYM didn't dyno w/us (Lucky bastard, he's snowboarding in Vancouver this whole week) b/c I use him as my baseline . Trust me, you can ask him if my CAI makes a difference or not (We conducted a couple of before/after tests w/the CAI involving his s2k).

Anway, enough about me ranting , I think the Mugen header made the most gains in Chris's car. After seeing Chris's dyno, I'm tempted to buy both the HKS & Mugen header & do before/after dynos & just sell the one I don't want after that. Hmm...
Old 12-16-2001, 07:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Elistan
[B] - snip -
There's no way to draw any conclusions from this, only more speculation, but the question is raised - which mod of Chris's has most helped?
Old 12-16-2001, 10:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don
Old 12-16-2001, 05:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris, a few notes:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cdelena
[B]The low restriction filters help throttle response although I doubt they add much power. This test was done with a Comptech but I also have a JR and I can
Old 12-16-2001, 07:49 PM

Great dyno results and thanks for sharing the curves, Mark!

I'm also very interested in which components are helping Chris's high numbers the most.

FWIW, I think that the TB does not provide any significant gains at all. I say this because
1) I conducted over 10 fourth gear pulls with Austin_s2000 after he got the pro-flow TB, and we were dead even almost every time.
2)A quote from Scott @ King Motor sports in the thread (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...gen+header+dyno)

"Mugen has spent plenty of R&D and dyno testing various tune-up parts for both the B16/B18 engine and F20C. Many camshaft profiles have been tried, thottle bodies etc. In fact when I was at Mugen two weeks ago, I had a great discussion about larger throttle bodies on the S2000. All the data collected on the dyno showed NO increase in HP with a larger throttle body. And these are the same engineers that designed and developed the Mugen/Honda F-1 engines for the last 10 years. To say they know their stuff is a GROSS understatement. "

Also, you are right that a valve adjustment can make a HUGE difference. At least it did for me. I dyno'ed immediately before and after a valve adjustment at the same shop. I posted results here:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...ent+Rasputin314

I would love to see a dyno of the mugen header/exhaust combo. My bet is on these parts helping the most. Even if that is the case, it's quite a hefty $ to pay to get it (at least for me).

Could someone explain to me why a lighter flywheel would not affect dyno results? This is not intuitive.

Thanks again!
Old 12-17-2001, 12:55 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by marcucci
[B]Don't think it would make much of a difference, but I'm pretty sure that filter was a JR- unless the Comptech looks like a JR. It's an identical blue color like the JR I have. What does the Comptech look like?[B]

It was a Comptech air filter b/c when Chris opened the airbox lid, we both saw it. Here's a pic:
http://solar.innercite.com/comptech/media/...a/lg_441100.jpg

On a side note, Comptech must not have much confidence in a customers ability to install it b/c the install time they list it was at 30 minutes . Umm, even the first time I replaced my stock filter for the K&N, it only took less then 2 minutes.

Quick Reply: Dyno results!