Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Please stop going out of your way to park by me

Old 07-06-2009, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please stop going out of your way to park by me

I have personally given up parking my cars away from other vehicles forever, regardless of what I have.

There has to be an explanation as to why people park next to cars that clearly want to be left alone. Even under the circumstance that they want to look at a unique car doesn't mean you need to park next to it considering there's most likely plenty of empty spots around it.

What's worse is that these people, for some asinine reason, inevitably door ding your car. Does anybody remember the insurance commercial years ago with the beater that parks next to another car in an empty parking lot and hits it?

It seems as though it is more safe to just park next to a group of nice cars near the store.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

posting on a car enthusiast board will surely get your message across
Old 07-06-2009, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by kenstyle,Jul 6 2009, 12:26 AM
posting on a car enthusiast board will surely get your message across
Perhaps there are car enthusiasts that park their own beaters next to nice cars on purpose
Old 07-06-2009, 02:23 AM

Yea i remember that comercial, i gave up along time ago doing that, i try and find a parking spot on the end and park on the far line that way no one can park next to you on the outside ( since its the end ) but have plenty of room on the inside
Old 07-06-2009, 05:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zero000,Jul 6 2009, 03:28 AM
Perhaps there are car enthusiasts that park their own beaters next to nice cars on purpose
I have. I don't go out of my way to do it, but if it's not inconvenient, I'll sacrifice my beater to help protect one side of a nice car. Of course, I'm sure it makes the guy nervous when he first comes out and sees me parked next to him... but he'll be relieved when he sees that his door is not dinged.

If he's parked in BFE, though, I'm not going to park next to him.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:56 AM

Sometimes I park next to that car just because I figure of all the people in the lot he's the least likely to ding MY car.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:59 AM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

I park in the middle of nowhere regardless of which car I am driving.

I have a beat to shit 95 civic as my daily driver, and if some asshole is inconsiderate enough to door ding it I really take offense.

Door dings happen by mistake. I get it. But, far too often they happen because the other person simply does not give a ****.

Now, I accept that the way I park has some impact on the possibility of door dings, and as such I attempt to park in the last spot (next to a curb, little concrete section with a tree, etc.) and I pull within mere inches from the curb so that the side that is next to another space has more than enough room.

This douche bag wannabe gangster at my old apartment complex would see this as an invitation to park partly in my space. My miata would squeeze up against the curb and there would be a good 2.5 or 3 feet of empty space in my parking spot and his entire spot.

I came out on several occasions to find that he was straddling the line of my parking spot. Days later, the door dings started to appear.

I confronted him in a polite way in kind of a "Hey, maybe you didn't realize but you are taking up my spot as well" kind of manner, and he responded like the typical wanna be gangster and went on about how the rules don't apply to him and how he can park however he felt like, blah blah blah.

I made it clear that the next time he went out of his way to park that close to my car that we were going to have a problem.

Fast forward a couple of days and I came out to the parking lot to find a sizable door ding. I Bruce Lee'd his mirror into the ####ing stratosphere. When it finally landed on the ground, I picked it up, smashed it against the side of his door and then tossed it at the sliding glass door on his balcony.

Escalation is really the only way to win these things.

Sometimes shit happens and people accidentally damage your car. Other times you've got to break some skulls.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:00 AM

i have a very simple solution for you, guaranteed to never get a door ding, when you go shopping take your other car, besides the s2k doesn't have that much trunk space in the first place
Old 07-06-2009, 06:09 AM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by beanseff,Jul 6 2009, 06:00 AM
i have a very simple solution for you, guaranteed to never get a door ding, when you go shopping take your other car, besides the s2k doesn't have that much trunk space in the first place
That's not the point. I don't have any particularly nice cars, but the fact that someone could be so willing to hit their door into my car is bullshit.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:23 AM

http://www.youparklikeanasshole.com/

When I see people parked like this, I squeeze next to them as close as possible because this says to me "My car is so awesome it deserves 2 spots".

Quick Reply: Please stop going out of your way to park by me