Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Would you remap a FWD turbo ?

Old 10-02-2008, 09:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Would you remap a FWD turbo ?

As some know, my S2000 was sold a few months back for a Golf GTi Edition 30 ... with a DSG box.

I thought getting the Edition 30 with it's 230bhp - as opposed to the standard 200bhp - would satisfy my need for a bit more 'go' than the standard one.

Thing is, it is quite quick (and will get quicker as it has only done 5K) but I know it is very, very easy to safely get alot more from the engine.

They remap to around 300bhp if you believe the rolling roads that are saying that most 'standard' ones are actually at about 245-255bhp .... (standard S3's are being recorded at 285-290 as opposed to 260 )

300bhp through the front wheels Would you do it to get that remapped 'pin you to the seat' feeling ..... or leave it as standard.

1st gear is barely useable on the Edition 30 anyway due to the power once it comes in - with a remap a short shift policy would be best to avoid bouncing down the road under power - but everything after 1st gear would obviously be more amusing

The engine can take it - the DSG box can take what the remap will give ... but no more.

Thing is, will I spoil a nice car by remapping - or make a good car better and be somewhat amused

Comments welcome ......
Old 10-02-2008, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure the dsg will cope? I know vag have not put the dsg on higher output cars as it breaks.

Warranty? out of window if you do remap.

Reliability will be compromised, how long do you intend to keep the car?
Old 10-02-2008, 10:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dracoro,Oct 2 2008, 06:47 PM
Are you sure the dsg will cope? I know vag have not put the dsg on higher output cars as it breaks.

Yes I am sure the DSG will cope - they apparently haven't had one break yet because of a remap and the 'worries' about it's strength are based almost entirely on rumour control .... not fact. It has, however, other issues because it has so many sensors ..... and already my driving style has 'confused' it and caused it to go into limp home mode

The DSG unit my car has is now - or at least about to be - available on the S3 .... which is obviously 35bhp more than the Edition 30 anyway so VW can't be that bothered.

Re the warranty - yes, an issue .... but I would want a remap that can go back to standard by either a 'switch' or reflash unit like Superchips Bluefin which effectively leaves no trace whatsoever of a remap when returned to standard.

I usually keep cars for 2-3 years but have had a number of remapped cars without problem. One of my remapped cars did, though, have issues because I don't think the engine was up to having more boost. The Edition 30 engine I don't believe has such issues so in this area I am unconcerned
Old 10-02-2008, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Dracoro,Oct 2 2008, 09:47 AM

I'm not entirely sure about all of that.

DSG has a problem with very high torque, beyond that they use the S-Tronic box which will handle the torque and is also very good. Nonetheless the tuners all seem to be saying the same thing, 300bhp is possible and as has been found with DSG in the past that the DSG just stops functioning completely without causing any damage, you just need to tune it back a little.

As for warranty, what they don't know wont hurt em, use a BSR PPC or similar and put the old map back on when you take it to the dealer, make sure you insure it for the higher rated power lest ye be mauled by the internet fraud hounds.

I have seen no figures on reliability to speak of, if you have some where did you get them Drac? Would be interested to get as many figures as I could about it for future purchases . The car will wear faster but does that mean it will wear at 100k miles or 200k miles if you know what I mean .

Yes, having remapped the Volvo I would definitely do it again get insurance quotes before you do it or it could cost you alot
Old 10-02-2008, 10:16 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Has it got a LSD?
Old 10-02-2008, 12:15 PM

i dont have any experience on VW's, but i know they like their electronics...

ford definately required re-program if engine power changed on the auto boxes.
does the DSG need to be re-programmed to handle the extra power/torque, and is this included in the remap price??
Old 10-02-2008, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by MB,Oct 2 2008, 10:16 AM
Has it got a LSD?
Might be wrong but dont think so, just relies on the ESP to control the power.

The S3 uses 4WD so i dont think i'd push the Golf past about 250bhp, be a total nightmare in the wet. My diesel TDI 140 Passat is bad enough!
Old 10-02-2008, 12:43 PM

My ST was chipped to 270bhp and was perfectly ok wet or dry. LL has it on his now, think he he's happy with it too.

I imagine if there were internet car forums in the 70s, when the original Golf GTi came out there would be posts reading "120bhp in a FWD car - madness"
Old 10-02-2008, 01:02 PM

[QUOTE=smnasn,Oct 2 2008, 12:43 PM] My ST was chipped to 270bhp and was perfectly ok wet or dry.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:06 PM

Jim, so does my wife's Verso, I guess it depends on how well sorted the car is!

Quick Reply: Would you remap a FWD turbo ?