Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Track info 2007

Old 12-27-2006, 03:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Track info 2007

SEE ALSO THE FAQ THREAD! There's a lot of good information there about taking your S2000 to the track, and also about the local tracks. This is just 2008 information about which clubs allow S2000s to run with them and also about helmet rules.

Here's an update on the track schools this year and how they stack up as far as S2000s. [When I say stock S2000s allowed, that means they have been allowed in the past. Always check and see if your car will be allowed at the particular event you want to sign up for.]

As far as expenses go, typically Proformance days are the most expensive but actually generally give you more track time for your dollar. But for a novice driver, the club days have a better bang for the buck because they include instruction at no extra cost, and usually novices aren't going to use up all the track time available at a Proformance day anyway.

Some clubs have membership requirements. You have to own a Porsche to be a member of the PCA, but you can join the BMWCCA without owning a BMW. I'm not sure of the other clubs. A membership in BMWCCA costs $40/year and gets you access into most of these car club events.

Proformance: Has one-day schools and lapping days. Also has a race school. All events at Pacific Raceways (with the occasional exception). Most events are on weekdays. You must attend the one-day school (or have equivilent track experience) in order to attend the lapping days. Stock S2000s allowed. Lotus Elise and Exige available for rent (expensive, but fun). Some other clubs and businesses essentially subcontract the track through Proformance. No club membership needed, except for private club or business days.

Alfa Club: Has one-day schools and lapping days. Events are split between Pacific Raceways and Bremerton. Stock S2000s allowed (confirmed for 2007). (Quirky rule: must have driving gloves and eye protection -- glasses or visor) No club membership needed. Liberal rules on timing (most of these other groups either don't allow it or else practice a "don't ask, don't tell" policy). Has lately been quite popular with many in the local S2KI community.

PCA: Has one-day schools at Bremerton (highly recommended by me) and lapping days at Pacific Raceways. Stock S2000s allowed (confirmed for 2007), but may require that you pass a "broomstick test". (Quirky rule: must run with top up) Must be a member of PCA or BMWCCA, Alfa club, Viper club, Audi club, Corvette club, or PDC.

Audi Club: Must be a member of the Audi Club and all convertibles must have a roll bar that passes a "broomstick test" by two inches. (Stock S2000 roll hoops not acceptible.) (Info from AlanL.)

Speedware: Open lapping days at Pacific Raceways. IMO, Proformance days are a better deal in terms of track time, but YMMV. No club membership needed. Speedware days may have a little less conservative rules than Proformance days, I'm not sure.

BMW Club (Puget Sound): No convertibles, no matter what roll protection. Convertibles defined by "B-pillar", so targas and Elise and similar cars are OK, but not S2000s.

BMW Club (Spokane): Runs two-day schools at Spokane (March, June, October). Suitable for novices to advanced, although they are really geared more for the advanced drivers to become instructors than to just drive the track. All three schools also have an intermediate-to-advanced optional Friday session with no instruction and basically open lapping. Stock S2000s allowed (confirmed for 2007). More expensive than some of the others due to the out-of-town travel, but worth the extra money IMO. The pass conditions are always a potential concern for the October and March dates. Must be a member of BMWCCA and/or join as part of the school. (May also accept PCA or other club membership, I'm not sure.)

Adare Motorsports (Spokane): Yes, the same Scott Adare who runs the BMW school also has a series of open track days at SRP. See this link for a description and schedule. Generally, advanced drivers only (no run groups, open passing rules, closed and open wheel cars at the same time). Convertibles are not allowed, but roadsters with factory rollover protection are, so S2000s are OK (confirmed for 2007). There is one scheduled on the Friday before each of the IEBMW school weekends, allowing a three-day track experience. If you do this three-day event then I guarantee, even for the experienced drivers, that you will be too tired to use all your lap time by Sunday afternoon. It's like an all-you-can-eat buffet of track time.

IRDC: Actually a racing club, they do have occasional open lapping days and a race licensing school. No club membership needed, but you do get preference and a cheaper price for their events if you join IRDC. Every year they don't seem to remember that they have allowed S2000s to run in the past, but they probably will allow your stock S2000.

ICSCC (aka "Conference"): Local racing league. Racing license needed. Race car needed. (These racing orgs are mostly included in this list so you know what they are if you hear people talking about them.)

SCCA: Another racing league. SCCA is national, but is much smaller in the Northwest than Conference is. There are also other racing leagues that don't have a presence in the Northwest at all, like NASA (no, not the space agency). Racing license needed. Race car needed.

SOVREN: Another local racing league, this one for vintage car racing. SOVREN membership needed. Old race car needed.

Portland clubs: Various clubs have driving events at PIR. If you are interested in knowing about them, contact Chris (cbender) or Alan (AlanL) in the Portland region forum. According to Alan, the Portland Alfa Club, PCA, and BMWACA all allow stock S2000s (PCA and ACA confirmed for 2007). All require club membership, but membership in a Puget Sound club (like the BMWCCA or PCA) qualifies. Also, Team Continental (must have a roll bar?). PIR schedule

Mission, BC: Various clubs run at Mission, which is an interesting little track. You probably won't get out of third gear, but the corners are very technical and runoff room is generally absent, so it certainly holds your attention. I've run with the BMW Car Club of BC up there. They subcontract out to a pro driving school. The events (even the advanced ones) are more schools than lapping days. Performance Drivers Club also runs there.

Out of town: Road trips to other tracks are fun. Some of us in the area can give you some advice on this subject if you are interested. The nearest CA track is Thunderhill, which is a great track but 700 miles away from Seattle.

New Tracks: There are some new tracks being built in BC, Oregon, and perhaps Washington.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:30 PM

Your stock S2000 is pretty much ready for the track. However, if you have modified it, that might not be the case. Sad to say, but most of the mods that people do to their cars make them less trackworthy rather than more so. Just make sure the car is aligned properly.

After your first track day or two, you will probably want to upgrade the brake pads and fluid. That's really all it needs until you are at least up in the high-intermediate skill level.

But there is one thing everybody will require, and that's a helmet.

Most clubs now require helmets to be Snell-rated, either M2000, SA2000, M2005, or SA2005. Some may allow any Snell-rated helmet, but to be safe, be sure you have one of the above. Any new helmet should be 2005-rated, unless you are getting a screaming deal on inventory clearance.

Other items that are a good idea include real driving shoes and racing gloves. Ray's gonna laugh at this, but IMO you might as well get them fire-resistant, especially the gloves. Most of the good ones will be anyway.

The OEM restraint system (roll hoops, three-point belts, OEM seats, airbags) is pretty good unless you are really tall. I highly recommend not messing with them unless you go all the way and replace all of them. Mixing and matching restraint systems is a good way to end up dead.

If you do go to a full roll bar or cage, you will want six point harnesses rather than five point (five point doesn't work in an S2000), and (IMO) a roll bar that is not compromised to work with the softtop. You will also want race seats. This is going to set you back about $5000 (not including the hardtop) and make your car a real PITA to use for street driving, so think it over carefully. In particular, do NOT install four point or six point harnesses without a real race seat and a well-designed, functional roll bar.

Most of the above clubs require "equal restraints", meaning the passenger seat (instructor) has to be at least as well protected as the driver. Otherwise the instructor will probably refuse to ride with you, which will probably mean you do not get to participate in the track day.

Consider a HANS or other head restraint. Generally you will need a full harness setup for this to be effective (or even for it to be needed).
Old 12-27-2006, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arai all the way, and NO CLOSED FACE. You're not a formula 1 driver. You can see better with an open face helmet, PERIOD. Your car has a windshield, your probably not going to get ejected, and hot day in Spokane will leave you begging for an open face. If anyone is interested I'm going to have some time reserved at Spokane with some Troopers and some Sheriff buddies of mine (I'm not in LE, but my brother is). Anyway, always good people to know and it'll be an open event. I'll post up if anyone wants to come along.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:53 AM

Thank you for the great information. I for one cannot wait for spring.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:25 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyDanNiceShot,Dec 27 2006, 06:37 PM
........... You're not a formula 1 driver. ............
how do you know? .......

BTW Mike, my gloves are Nomexish
Old 12-28-2006, 12:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Dec 27 2006, 08:30 PM
If you do go to a full roll bar or cage, you will want six point harnesses rather than five point (five point doesn't work in an S2000), and (IMO) a roll bar that is not compromised to work with the softtop. You will also want race seats. This is going to set you back about $5000 (not including the hardtop) and make your car a real PITA to use for street driving, so think it over carefully. In particular, do NOT install four point or six point harnesses without a real race seat and a well-designed, functional roll bar.
This makes it sound like anything short of a race cage and $5000 in extras should not be run at a lapping day/HPDE. Is this what you are trying to say? I feel many people will be put off by the track if they read it as I did.

As far as roll bars compromised to work with the soft top, are you referring to any in particular? IMO any roll bar or cage is compromised to fit under either the softtop or hardtop of this car. Considering the factory roll bars are safe under a crash, the only qualification for an aftermarket bar should be to be as safe or safer than OEM while passing the organizing club's height requirements.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:38 PM

Full cage! I think I've done too many European ones; was a bit disappointed that I was going to have to bring a crash helmet.

This is superb info - do you have URLs for any of the calendars? I've been looking at the PIR one but it's still saying 2006 dates.

Chris
Old 12-28-2006, 02:38 PM

Mike, what content from this thread do you want added to the Forum FAQ?
Old 12-28-2006, 02:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Doh, I was logged in with the wife's account. Mike, let me know what should be added.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by tinkfist,Dec 28 2006, 01:43 PM
This makes it sound like anything short of a race cage and $5000 in extras should not be run at a lapping day/HPDE. Is this what you are trying to say? I feel many people will be put off by the track if they read it as I did.

IMO any roll bar or cage is compromised to fit under either the softtop or hardtop of this car.
No, I'm not saying "anything short of a full cage" should not be run at an HPDE. I'm saying "anything less safe than stock" should not be run at an HPDE. My advice is to do it right or keep it stock. Mixing and matching (for instance, adding race seats and harness without a solid roll bar) is dangerous. Restraint systems are SYSTEMS. You need to make sure the whole system works together properly.

I drove my car stock for three years because I could not find a restraint system that was compatible with the soft top I thought was safer than OEM. I still think that -- it's just that I decided to forget about keeping the soft top.

My advice is, if you don't want to gut your car, keep the OEM restraint system intact and unmodified.

Actually, there is plenty of room under the OEM hardtop, and decent room under the soft top unless you are tall. The problem is the harness bar height and the angle of the downstays. In order to keep the soft top, those have to be severely compromised. If you gut the soft top and the rear interior then you have the design flexibility necessary to do what needs to be done.

Quick Reply: Track info 2007