S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Excess oil usage has stopped

Old 06-10-2006, 07:59 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Excess oil usage has stopped

Previously I was burning through more than 1cc of oil per mile. Typically a quart would last 750 to 800 miles. This usage has gradually increased over the last year. My cold plugs (IK27s) were looking very oiled up.

When I dynoed in March I noticed a plume of oily mist escaping from my front breather hose, the one from the valve cover to the intake before the supercharger. It was only happening at high boost. This made me think that there was excess blow by or boost entering the crankcase. Being the optimist I decided to assume the rings were fine and look at the other alternative, boost. Since the PCV valve allows boost to enter the crankcase space through the valve cover I suspected that was the culprit.

I saw a post on here previously by Fperra regarding this problem and took action. Thanks again Fred.

I installed a set of KrankVents and my oil usage has dropped dramatically. My usage is less than 100ml in 687 miles or a decrease of almost 90%. I'm sure my plugs are running cleaner but I have not pulled them yet to check. Previously people would hail me down and tell me my car was smoking. I don't leave a cloud behind me anymore. The back of the car is much cleaner and easier to keep clean. The car feels much stronger too.

If you are running boost, keep track of your oil usage and if it increases or is excessive I suggest you look into the KrankVents or equivalent. It probably wouldn't be a bad addition even if you are not using excessive oil.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=393122
Old 06-10-2006, 08:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Stupid question, but here it comes - you can't use Krank vents and an oil catch can at the same time can you?

Thanks for that Krank vent post.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:11 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I think there is a way to plumb it. Someone on the original post (not available) had done it. Something about a closed system or catchcan that didn't vent or something like that. Maybe they will post again with pictures.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:23 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

This is a good topic.
My car was turbo and now I suspect my valve seals are toast because of boost in the crank case.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I understand you can use a catch can with the krankvent between the manifold and the catch can. The flow from the valve cover to the manifold would be the same as stock set up so if there was a catch can in there it would still work. The reason I would put the krankvent closer to the manifold is so that boost would stop there and not escape into the catchcan. I dont know this for sure, I am just trying to use logical thought.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:43 PM

Good to see that you solved this problem. I learned about Krankvents from Fred a whileee back too. Awesome products.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by Harpoon,Jun 10 2006, 10:06 PM
Stupid question, but here it comes - you can't use Krank vents and an oil catch can at the same time can you?

Thanks for that Krank vent post.
I've been using the KrankVent with a catch can since the first day I installed it. It just has to be a sealed system. I've posted this picture before, but here it is again.

Old 06-11-2006, 08:14 AM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Do I need a krankvent if I have a CTSC w/ AC at stock boost? If I do, where can I buy one?
Old 06-11-2006, 08:36 AM

Kranvent at the pcv:

Inline catch can:

Accumulated blowby:
Old 06-11-2006, 09:13 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 00S2K01S4,Jun 11 2006, 08:14 AM
Do I need a krankvent if I have a CTSC w/ AC at stock boost? If I do, where can I buy one?
Sorry, but please don't anyone post where to get these because the thread might get locked again.

Do a google search for Krank Vent. You want the mini kit.

Quick Reply: Excess oil usage has stopped