The S2000 Gallery Cornucopia of sight and sound! Show your friends your S2000 photos, S2000 images, S2000 photochops and S2000 videos.

Stick-On Rear Spoiler - UNSAFE?

Old 08-30-2005, 07:57 AM

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Stick-On Rear Spoiler - UNSAFE?

I've been waiting about 5 months for a custom CF rear spoiler for my Scion xA.

Only 10 of these rear spoilers will be made, so I've been patiently waiting.

I just saw the prototype pics- and the spoiler is held on with double-sided tape!

HAS ANYONE EVER SEEN A REAR WING, OR ANY BODY PART MOUNTED WITH TAPE?

I'm pretty sure the spoiler won't come off, even at speed, and I should be able to see the wing becoming loose before it would just fly off, so it's probably okay.

Theoretically, I think it's a horrible idea. If it were to come off and cause an accident, I doubt that any insurance company would cover it, if they knew the circumstances, making way for a big personal lawsuit. I'm guessing that the company that is manufacturing the spoilers could also be held liable, for producing and retailing the stick-on spoiler.

I'm also not sure how to remove the spoiler, if I need to.

What do you guys think about this?

-Pete

Old 08-30-2005, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think itll be ok... theres a spoiler thats made for the S2000 (if i remember correctly) that is held on by double sided tape... covers the 3rd brake light. As long as theres not much mass to the spoiler I wouldnt suspect any issues. Just make sure you clean both surfaces GOOD before putting the spoiler on and all should be fine.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Dolemike,Aug 30 2005, 04:12 PM
I think itll be ok... theres a spoiler thats made for the S2000 (if i remember correctly) that is held on by double sided tape... covers the 3rd brake light. As long as theres not much mass to the spoiler I wouldnt suspect any issues. Just make sure you clean both surfaces GOOD before putting the spoiler on and all should be fine.
are you talking about the BYS spoiler? if so, it actually removes the third brake light and bolts in there i THINK

-chris
Old 08-30-2005, 08:21 AM

personally i wouldn't trust double sided tape alone. holes can always be filled in if u ever decided to take it off later.
IMO always put in quality work or u can end up paying for it in the end.... ie damanging others, wing flying off, i think thats not worth on the trust of a few double side tape
Old 08-30-2005, 08:56 AM

Also, over time, the glue will start to get crusty, for the lack of a better word, and break down. Eventually, it will fall off.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:02 AM
Kel

Originally Posted by VR WHAT,Aug 30 2005, 09:18 AM
are you talking about the BYS spoiler? if so, it actually removes the third brake light and bolts in there i THINK

-chris
Thats correct, it uses the oem bolts that the 3rd brake light mounts to.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:28 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Kodokan_4,Aug 30 2005, 10:57 AM
my Scion xA.

even at speed
It's not like you will be going 150 mph (or 80). As long as no air gets in underneath you should be OK.

I know some people that have mounted the side pieces of the Mugen 3 piece with tape because they didn't want to drill holes in the fender. Seems to work for them.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:31 AM

I have an M3 lip spoiler on my old E46 and it was held on with 3m tape from BMW and I never had any problems. As long as the spoiler is not very heavy you should be fine.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:36 AM

There are a few OEM spoilers out there that are ONLY held on by double-sided tape...BMWs come to mind. I couldn't believe it when I first saw it with my own two eyes, but it seems to work. Now, mind you, they're definitely NOT using the kind of double-sided tape you find at Walgreens or some place like that. They're using stronger "automotive" grade stuff.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most Lip spoilers are held on by tape.... They are very low profile and weight very little... They don't produce enough drag/downforce to tear off.

I think that with a CF trunk lip you will be fine.. Someone last year wanted to mount a "Wing" spoiler with "db" sided tape and got

BIG

Quick Reply: Stick-On Rear Spoiler - UNSAFE?