Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

S2000 Vs SLK55 AMG review

Old 01-09-2005, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 Vs SLK55 AMG review

I got rid of my s2000 a few weeks ago after almost three years and just last week I picked up an SLK55 AMG. I picked the car up in Florida and put about 1500 miles on it in less than a week. Following is my review of the SLK and my opinion of how it stacks up to the s2k:

The power is immediately apparent in the SLK. On a cold start, the V8 kicks to life with a spit as the engine overcomes inertia then bellows out a roar as loud and deep as any I have heard on a stock car. The quad-pipe exhaust has a rich gurgle at idle that reminds you what is under your right foot. Let the engine and the tires warm up, work your way up to the front of the line at a red light, then floor it on green. The power is immediate, slamming you back into your seat from the second the pedal hits the floor. The tach needle buries itself in the red and before you know it it is time for another gear. The esp blinks as you engage second gear and then it starts all over again. Second gear goes by as quickly as first- I actually found myself short shifting in the first two gears because everything just happens so quickly. Acceleration in this car is awesome to say the least, as is braking. I would have to say that this is the first car that I have actually enjoyed slowing down in. On a hard stop, the 6 pot front calipers clamp on hard enough to make your eyes bug out of their sockets. Also, when engine braking the V8 spits, gurgles, and farts like something out of 1960's Detroit. I was surprised by the handling of the car. It obviously feels heavier than the s2k did, but it feels much more planted in the turns. Understeer is mild, somewhere between an '03 and an '04 s2k. Oversteer is not an issue with the ESP on, but as soon as you turn it off, the road better be warm and you had better be aiming in the right direction. The ride is very comfortable compared to the s2k. Power adjustable seats, tilt steering wheel, a metal roof, HK premium audio, and heated seats makes the slk a better road trip car. HOwever, this car is not without its problems. First and foremost is the transmission. I HATE IT! It is a 7 speed automatic with two auto modes and one manual mode that was reworked by AMG for faster shifts. Comfort automatic mode is great for around town traffic, but the other two modes are downright distracting when you are trying to enjoy your favorite road. Sport automatic is pretty smart, holding gears in turns, but it isn't telepathic, and if you have to drop a cog it is always one step behind your brain. Manual mode is horrible. There are buttons behind the steering wheel for up- and downshifts, but they might as well not be there. For starters, you can only drop one gear at a time. If you are cruising in fifth and want to bust out of traffic in second, you have to wait until fourth engages to downshift into third, then wait again to get into second. This is also true for upshifts. If you floor it up an onramp through the first three gears you have to wait for each gear to engage to get to seventh for cruising. Also, when flooring it in the first two gears, the buttons seem to have no effect. I hit the upshift button near redline in first and it does not shift- it just slams into the limiter, so i hit the button five more times really quick and it finally jerks into second, where it will do the same thing. It is embarrassing and distracting. Mercedes really dropped the ball by not making a 6 speed available on the slk55

Verdict: The SLK55 is an incredible car. It is attractive, comfortable, rather sporty, and immensly powerful. It simis simply a completely different car than the previous generation SLK. However, I am an automotive purist, and as such I hold the Hoonda S2000 in incredibly high regard. The feel of the car, the 9000 rpm experience, and the skill it takes to drive the car set it apart from anything else on the road. I love my slk, especially when I'm just cruising, but to be honest, when I see the road start to curve ahead, I wish I was back in my Suzuka Blue 2002 with my hand on the leather-wrapped shifter with a 9000 rpm scream drowning out everything else in life...

You guys really do have one of the best cars in the world.

Sorry the picture is kind of grainy- I had to resize it a few times.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:36 AM

well done
Old 01-09-2005, 09:11 AM

You have an awesome car though man...you made a great decision.
Old 01-09-2005, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Hate Me,Jan 9 2005, 01:11 PM
You have an awesome car though man...you made a great decision.
Thank you- the car is a ton of fun, don't get me wrong. I am just trying to illustrate the incredible value of the s2k at ~$30k Vs a ~$70 car with a V8 and 120 more hp
Old 01-09-2005, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Saab9-3,Jan 9 2005, 12:26 PM
You guys really do have one of the best cars in the world.
coming from someone who owns a $60k+ roadster, thats nice to know. Now im scared to even think about selling the s2000, i think im spoiled! (if it only came with a turbo...)

on your purchase, really nice car, but like you i wouldnt like the automatic tranny
-Chris
Old 01-09-2005, 10:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, that's about what I expected of the SLK55. It's a pretty mean machine, but without a true manual or F! transmission, it's still just an automatic. Your color is absolutely stunning, BTW. I love the performance, too. I'd hate to roll up on one at a stoplight with my S!
Old 01-09-2005, 11:24 AM

good review, thanks. just yesterday i was at a benz dealership looking at the new slk. i know the non AMG version can come with a 6 speed manual, did you happen to test drive that? doesn't have the V8, true, but i'm interested to see how the slk's manual feels. especially since i've heard such great things about the S's tranny.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:41 AM

1. nice car!
2. did u test drive one b4 buying?
3. what is msrp? did u pay msrp for it?

goodluck w/ her!
Old 01-09-2005, 11:59 AM

Awsome car, good luck with it
Old 01-09-2005, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The SLK55 is a beast. Nice pick up.