UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Introducing myself

Old 10-27-2004 | 02:31 AM

Talking Introducing myself

Hello All, I normally live on pistonheads.com but I found these forums 'cos I've got some S2K specific questions that you might be able to help me with. I'll get to them in another post, later.

I currently own an Series 1 Elise 111S which I've owned for a massive three and a half years. So I've been starting to wonder what other automotive treasures might be out there to put a grin on my face. The Elise is obviously great fun, but very raw and the prospect of another winter with the roof on in a (very) noisy, cold, damp car doesn't hold quite the same appeal as it used to. It would be nice to have a radio that works and a CD player that is audible without making my ears bleed. And... ohhh... carpets!

A recent holiday driving round Europe with a load of sports cars really opened my eyes to the S2000. I spent most of my time in a Porsche 996 Turbo leading a convoy of S2000, Aston Martin DB9, Ferrari 348 and TVR Chimera and Tamora. You know what, the S2000 was always weaving around in the damn wing mirrors, even on the Autobahn when some of the cars had made full use of the road, the S2000 was never far behind, happily doing almost 150mph.

And then I spent a day passengering in the Honda whilst we drove through seven passes in the Swiss Alps. I was navigating, which meant the Honda was leading the convoy. The others couldn't keep up. Tch! What were Aston Martin thinking when they put that heavy old V12 in the the DB9?

Back end out on all the hairpins; late braking into corners with no barriers between the road and certain death; I loved it!

So anyway, the Honda looks favourite to replace my Elise, and I'm trying to arrange a test drive to make sure but the Cambridge dealer claims he doesn't have a demonstrator, or indeed ANY S2Ks and won't have until January! How crap is that? He said he'd try and sort something out for me and call me back, but I'll believe that when I get the call.

Has anyone else here made the transition from Elise to S2000? Any advice on the matter?
Old 10-27-2004 | 02:34 AM

There are a few that have made the transition.

S2k demonstrators aren't that rare, find yourself another dealer
Old 10-27-2004 | 02:34 AM

Nice pics BTW
Old 10-27-2004 | 02:38 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Welcome to the board, Bonce. What a marvellous couple of photos from the car! Nice to hear that the S acquitted itself so well in pretty illustrious company.

We've had a few guys make the move from the Elise to the S2000 - I'm sure someone will be along soon to give you a detailed comparison. The concensus seems to be that (as you would expect) it's not as raw as the Lotus and you can't carry quite as much speed through the bends, but it's not THAT far behind and the extra power along the straights means that it should holds it own pretty well.

Good luck with the search for a test drive.

(If you wanted to talk to some owners in person, there's a meet taking place (probably) this coming Sunday, starting out from Stanstead services. It's not on your doorstep, but not a million miles away if you're in the Cambridge area. I'm sure they wouldn't mind an Elise tagging along, or you may be able to blag a passenger seat if you wanted)
Old 10-27-2004 | 02:38 AM

Try Norton Way in Letchworth: 01462 678191

Nice pictures.
Old 10-27-2004 | 02:40 AM
Former Moderator

Very nice pictures.

I'd agree with Neil, find another dealer who's prepared to help you. Or alternatively, have a look on the FS&W board in here, there are a number of very good cars available right now.

Looking at your choice of companion car, a new 04 might be a little too soft for you
Old 10-27-2004 | 02:52 AM

If they don't even have a tester have they ever serviced one?

Find another dealer!
Old 10-27-2004 | 02:58 AM

Hi Bonce

Firstly great 1st post

Having no experience of Elise-S2000 transition there are a lot of things to consider on which S2000 you are going to buy. There are basically three slightly different models, which have evolved over the years. Mostly these are cosmetic (glass rear screen,full leather etc etc). Do plenty of searches on this website,ask questions etc-don't forget there is a for sale forum on this website also. There are some good (and not so good ) examples on there, a few of them have been seen many times by other owners.

I and a few others are doing an 1st Lotus rack day in N Essex on 29 Nov-basically driving our own cars around an airfield and learning about them. You are welcome to come along & sit in as a passenger for a bit in mine
Old 10-27-2004 | 03:05 AM

Read the tech faq linked in my sig, before you buy!
Old 10-27-2004 | 03:20 AM

Great pics

[QUOTE=Bonce,Oct 27 2004, 11:31 AM]... the Cambridge dealer claims he doesn't have a demonstrator, or indeed ANY S2Ks and won't have until January!

Quick Reply: Introducing myself