Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Who wants an S2000-only autocross at Mineral Wells?

Old 08-10-2001, 06:51 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I just talked with Bob Manskey, the person who rents out Mineral Wells to car clubs. It'll be around $250 for the day, he has plenty of his own pylons for us to use, and there are three weekends open in September - 1-2, 8-9, and 22-23. The first is Labor Day Weekend, the third is TWS, so how about Saturday the 8th? The only thing we'd need to do is send a fax to the city of Mineral Wells a copy of our group insurance - which means we'd all have to join up with S2KCA soon. Since we won't have to buy cones, how about we spend some of our dues money to purchase some timing gear, drinks, flags, fire extinguishers, that sort of stuff?

We can definitely put together a course to let you really push your stook and discover the limits of the car in a safe manner.

Old 08-10-2001, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This could be fun. We need to see if the group insurance is actually available through S2KCA. Greg hasn't followed up with final info for regional affiliates yet...

Stefan
Old 08-10-2001, 02:02 PM

This does sound fun, and the date is right. Saturday is 9/8.

Will
Old 08-10-2001, 02:48 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2000inbigD
[B]This does sound fun, and the date is right.
Old 08-11-2001, 07:20 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, we have our liability/track insurance if you would like to tap into it for an S2KCA sponsored S2000 only autox. The forms are available from meat (Brad), I'll send him a link to this thread and you guys can take it from there. From our perspective, the club's insurance is one of the greatest benefits for S2KCA affiliates. Insurance is required for track time, autox and other types of car-related activities, so that's why we have it.

Brad? Let's move forward with this...

Thanks guys!

Old 08-11-2001, 01:03 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gregstevens
[B]Yes, we have our liability/track insurance if you would like to tap into it for an S2KCA sponsored S2000 only autox.
Old 08-11-2001, 02:09 PM

Here's my thoughts on a course design...

First, for those not familiar with Mineral Wells, the layout is a 30 acre slab of military helicopter landing pad. It was built to last, but age is starting to get to it. Lots of plant life coming up in some areas, others are deteriorating to gravel. But there's plenty of room to do autocrosses and even 1.x mile road courses.

In the upper left I've placed a ~130ft skidpad to test steady-state cornering behaviour.
  • Coming out of start/finish, there some fast S's that should be easy for everybody. The big left-hander should be a medium to fast 2nd gear turn.
  • Getting into the red part should allow a bit of 3rd gear before downshifting to 2nd for the decreasing radius right.
  • Depending on how things work out, the little left in blue might be a 1st gear turn.
  • Next up in purple is an optional direction slalom.
  • The green section starts with a fast sweeper, then a 180, and finally some slow-speed boxes just before start/finish to slow people down.

No plan ever survives contact with reality, so if we do this don't be surprised to find the setup a good bit different. Number of gates, spacing, various details all could change. Especially if lots of plant-life gets in the way. This is based on my vague memories of what it's really like out there - it's been a while.

I tried to put something together that would try people's skills at various tasks - transitions, steady cornering, decreasing radius, and of course heel-toe.

Comments? Interest?
Old 08-12-2001, 12:56 PM

Mark,

Let's get the other officers involved in this discussion. I volunteer my truck to haul coolers and other equipment. I also have a volunteer to drive it. Additionally I've got two 128 qt. ice chests. A portable shade or two could be nice on the tarmac as there is no relief from the sun. We can discuss safety gear and timing equipment. I'm still awaiting contact from Greg and or Brad concerning insurance and regional S2KCA affiliation.

Keep up the planning, you're doing great.

Thanks,

Stefan
Old 08-13-2001, 09:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interested, I just hate the long haul out there - at least the last time I went out there I was crammed in the back seat of a 2dr. Teg with a set of slicks and a jack!
Old 08-13-2001, 11:42 AM

Could I come?? Sounds like it would be great fun and I wouldn't have to put up with the disrespectful Porsche crowd.

Mark

Quick Reply: Who wants an S2000-only autocross at Mineral Wells?