Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Favorite Autocross Elements?

Old 08-09-2004, 12:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Favorite Autocross Elements?

I think we've all been to autocrosses where an element or a few elements strung together was pure driving fun. I'd like to hear about your experiences. You may want to describe it in words or post a drawing. I think it would be fun to combine all of your favorites into one big course for Septemeber 18th. What do you think!?
Old 08-09-2004, 01:26 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

My absolute favorite? Increasing radius corners. The feeling of being fully on the gas coming out of a corner is joyful.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it might be tough to do at mineral wells,but my favorite is elevation changes that allow you to see the apex of the turn but not the exit. I also agree with the increasing radius turns,full throttle 2nd gear on exit is wonderful.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:02 PM

I like DECREASING radius sweepers. Brake hard and lift a rear wheel I would like to see some tight high speed elements, make you be precise, if you know what i mean
Old 08-09-2004, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

High speed offset gates/slaloms. We've run stuff like this down the north and east sides of Mineral Wells before. Nothing more fun than hanging it out at high speed.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:02 PM

Yep, I have to agree with altiain -- high speed slaloms or offset gates. Also, anything that keeps the course out of potholes/sinkholes.

Now, for what I don't want to see... an element at the end that makes me have to shift down to 1st gear, or a kink after the timing lights that causes everyone to go crazy. There is plenty of room out at the Mineral Ring... it should be easy to design a course with a fast -- but safe -- end-of-course run off. I don't want to be worrying about hitting a bunch of cones after the timing light.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Traction would be a plus. Just kidding. You guys do a GREAT job on the things other designers neglect, such as even # and duration of left & right turns (to even out tire wear). Good focus away from starts that require drag-style clutch dumps. Safe use of lights / finishes. Very few pavement surface changes (as in putting a painted surface in the middle of a slalom). Good runoff area for occasional brain fade victims. Good increments for # of cars on course.

If pressed for suggestions, my $.02 would be:

1 - "Reclaim" a little less course surface than the July event. I understand that we need to traverse some of the vegetation in attempts to keep it at bay. Seeing the AWD cars dismounting their R compounds and throwing on their Dick Cepek Baja Monster Knobbies could mean that we're getting a little carried away with reclaiming.

2 - "Good flow" with a primary focus on car control instead of arcane course memorization. There's no shame in clearly depicting the path (even using pointer cones as visual reminders) of where to go as you crest a blind hill at 60+ MPH. The fewer DNFs/lost cars/red flags, the better the flow (and safety).

3 - Minimize the need to downshift to first (yeah, "Wahh wahh" from us street tire folk since Rs allow later braking and more lateral traction and thus speed through the tighter corners -- negating the need to downshift when running Rs vs. street tires)

4 - Not technically a course layout item, but a process and grid one. Providing run groups of at least 10 would allow more time to water/cool the tires and engines. If you've ever run a S2000 on one of the "safe" (think anti-detonation -- retarded timing, richer air/fuel) ECU maps (there are six total maps, depending on heat & conditions), you can appreciate time for a little cool-down. This can require a longer area between the finish and the pre-stage area so that cars don't stack up into the finish area.

5 - Already happy with the use of slaloms and chicanes. Maybe some sweepers that make use of the camber/elevation changes and the occasional Chicago box, but most of the courses this year have had a nice balance of components. I've heard rumor of using a different area for grid/paddock, allowing us to use a larger percentage of the less graveled surface.

The above items are admittedly nits. Reason for raising the bar here is that this is one of the best-run clubs with the potential to accelerate the progression of its drivers relative to other clubs (more seat time for drivers, more instructors per driver). Way to go....
Old 08-09-2004, 08:17 PM

Hey Stan - could you get a little more specific...I'm not sure I understand what you're looking for.

Seriously, your suggestions make it clear to me how much I still need to learn.

And Clovis...if you could avoid those darn decreasing radius slaloms I'd be a happy camper...I hate those things!
(I know...I'll work on it).
Old 08-10-2004, 07:51 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, thanks for the feedback so far. I'd like to hear more about specific elements you guys want to see linked up.

One of my favorites is an open sweeper that flows directly into a fast slalom. The openess of the sweeper allows you to choose the perfect entry, at speed, into the slalom. Get it right and it's tons of fun.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:09 AM

I still want a loop (360 turn) like the Porch guys do a Pennington. I know, I know... if you like it so much just go to their Auto-Xes. Blah Blah. Hey, you asked.

Regards,

Al

Quick Reply: Favorite Autocross Elements?